Hunting State Records

Jon P

3 hours ago, japanesebassman said:

The whole state record thing in NY is pretty strange. It was caught pretty far north, in a lake that didn't have a consistent trout population at the time. It is a pretty normal looking lake in terms of contour and structure, there has to be something behind it though. However, in Staten Island, there is a very unusual body of water where there was a 10-3 caught a few years back, and it is rumored that in the 90's someone caught a 11-14. Not sure how true the rumors are, but the 10-3 was definitely verified by a select few trusted people. It would be super interesting to see a state record caught in NYC, and I believe it is entirely possible in that lake in Staten Island. The lake gets to about 60 feet, but it is only 44 acres. No grass, all rock, very clear. Almost a bath tub like place. I think the biggest fish feed on a mixture of perch and bluegill. Anyways, state records fascinate me so that was my take on a possible state record in my area. 

Heavily pressured spots like that are super fascinating to me. You'd think with enough fishing pressure fish would simply die off or t the very least be severely stunted. I wonder if Staten Island would be interested in getting trout stocked in there. Pequest River trout hatchery is only an hour fifteen minutes from staten island. Thats half the distance my local trout hatchery drives to stock the lake nearest to me. You could market it as a way to get kids interested in the great outdoors or as a way to generate more fishing license revenue. Get the bastards at Trout Unlimited on board and you might be able to get that done pretty easily.

1 hour ago, Jon P said:

Heavily pressured spots like that are super fascinating to me. You'd think with enough fishing pressure fish would simply die off or t the very least be severely stunted. I wonder if Staten Island would be interested in getting trout stocked in there. Pequest River trout hatchery is only an hour fifteen minutes from staten island. Thats half the distance my local trout hatchery drives to stock the lake nearest to me. You could market it as a way to get kids interested in the great outdoors or as a way to generate more fishing license revenue. Get the bastards at Trout Unlimited on board and you might be able to get that done pretty easily.

very interesting idea. it is entirely possible. the only problem might be an algae bloom. the algae bloom can get pretty bad on one side of the lake in the summer, so I don't know how that will have an impact on trout. if that lake were to become trout stocked, it would become very very good. I am pretty sure there is a state record fish in there now, and with the addition of trout, i would be certain. I will reach out and see if this is possible

37 minutes ago, japanesebassman said:

very interesting idea. it is entirely possible. the only problem might be an algae bloom. the algae bloom can get pretty bad on one side of the lake in the summer, so I don't know how that will have an impact on trout. if that lake were to become trout stocked, it would become very very good. I am pretty sure there is a state record fish in there now, and with the addition of trout, i would be certain. I will reach out and see if this is possible

nice thing about trout stocks is that they're replaceable. Some families in my area will do trout fishing days with 20-30 people where everybody takes home a limit of 15 trout even though only four or five people are fishing. three times a year they're entirely replaced so it doesn't matter. Osprey's, bass, pike, people all get their fill.

1 hour ago, Jon P said:

nice thing about trout stocks is that they're replaceable. Some families in my area will do trout fishing days with 20-30 people where everybody takes home a limit of 15 trout even though only four or five people are fishing. three times a year they're entirely replaced so it doesn't matter. Osprey's, bass, pike, people all get their fill.

yeah, the lake I'm referring to is already very very pressured, adding trout would bring the people looking to keep fish as well as catch and release bass fishermen. the only predator living in the waters of that lake is largemouth though. no pike or pickerel thankfully.

9 hours ago, japanesebassman said:

The whole state record thing in NY is pretty strange. It was caught pretty far north, in a lake that didn't have a consistent trout population at the time. It is a pretty normal looking lake in terms of contour and structure, there has to be something behind it though. However, in Staten Island, there is a very unusual body of water where there was a 10-3 caught a few years back, and it is rumored that in the 90's someone caught a 11-14. Not sure how true the rumors are, but the 10-3 was definitely verified by a select few trusted people. It would be super interesting to see a state record caught in NYC, and I believe it is entirely possible in that lake in Staten Island. The lake gets to about 60 feet, but it is only 44 acres. No grass, all rock, very clear. Almost a bath tub like place. I think the biggest fish feed on a mixture of perch and bluegill. Anyways, state records fascinate me so that was my take on a possible state record in my area. 

I also live in NY, although nowhere near the city, much closer to where the state record was caught only about an hour drive. There are plenty of 10+lb fish in NY, and in my experience they are reported in these deeper clearer lakes. I have a lake about 15 minutes from me that has 20+ft vis and is stocked with 7k trout a year, as a 100 acre lake that is a lot. This lake is known for it's extremely high ratio of giant bass, there are more 5+lb bass in that lake than in most lakes double or triple its size. The biggest I have seen caught and weighed there is an 8-0, but I have seen fish upwards of 25" swimming around, during the prespawn when they are full of trout those fish have to be pushing state record size. The problem is that this lake is 1. the most pressured lake within the county and 2. it is drawn down 5-6' every winter. When this happens, all of the fish go to the middle of the lake, never to been seen again until spring. Personally I have caught 5 6lbers from this lake, all in spring except one. Swimbaits have become very popular to use at this lake although it's mostly conventional guys throwing wavers or amazon baits. The hudd 68 weedless and waver 200 are pretty consistent producers in this lake as well, although the big smallmouth seem to like the wavers a bit more. I forgot to mention that the lake has giant smallmouth as well, with some exceeding 7lbs. The lake is the most difficult lake I have ever fished, the whole shoreline is loaded with fallen trees, but only a select few hold fish and only at certain times of year. There are plenty of pads but not many other weeds as they were all killed a few years back when they drained the lake about 10' to rebuild a beach. I think that I'm starting to figure it out a little bit, but as we all know, the more that we think we understand the less we actually do. 

13 hours ago, CG_Fishes said:

I also live in NY, although nowhere near the city, much closer to where the state record was caught only about an hour drive. There are plenty of 10+lb fish in NY, and in my experience they are reported in these deeper clearer lakes. I have a lake about 15 minutes from me that has 20+ft vis and is stocked with 7k trout a year, as a 100 acre lake that is a lot. This lake is known for it's extremely high ratio of giant bass, there are more 5+lb bass in that lake than in most lakes double or triple its size. The biggest I have seen caught and weighed there is an 8-0, but I have seen fish upwards of 25" swimming around, during the prespawn when they are full of trout those fish have to be pushing state record size. The problem is that this lake is 1. the most pressured lake within the county and 2. it is drawn down 5-6' every winter. When this happens, all of the fish go to the middle of the lake, never to been seen again until spring. Personally I have caught 5 6lbers from this lake, all in spring except one. Swimbaits have become very popular to use at this lake although it's mostly conventional guys throwing wavers or amazon baits. The hudd 68 weedless and waver 200 are pretty consistent producers in this lake as well, although the big smallmouth seem to like the wavers a bit more. I forgot to mention that the lake has giant smallmouth as well, with some exceeding 7lbs. The lake is the most difficult lake I have ever fished, the whole shoreline is loaded with fallen trees, but only a select few hold fish and only at certain times of year. There are plenty of pads but not many other weeds as they were all killed a few years back when they drained the lake about 10' to rebuild a beach. I think that I'm starting to figure it out a little bit, but as we all know, the more that we think we understand the less we actually do. 

I can totally see those northern NY lakes stocked with trout holding the state record. I took a trip up to the adirondacks this summer, and I got 2 massive followers during the trip. One fish I believe was 6.5-7 and the other about a pound larger than that. absolute thanks. the difference with this lake was that it had natural brook trout and was not very deep or clear. I know champlain and george are known to produce some trophy size fish too.

1 hour ago, japanesebassman said:

I can totally see those northern NY lakes stocked with trout holding the state record. I took a trip up to the adirondacks this summer, and I got 2 massive followers during the trip. One fish I believe was 6.5-7 and the other about a pound larger than that. absolute thanks. the difference with this lake was that it had natural brook trout and was not very deep or clear. I know champlain and george are known to produce some trophy size fish too.

Yeah, those lakes are quite a bit North of me, I live in the Southern tier, not many lakes over 100 acres other than the Whitney Point Reservoir, which isn't all that great although it does hold some giants. I've always thought that the finger lakes should hold bigger fish than they do as far as bass go. Who knows maybe we will see a 10+ outta there someday

Northern ohio up by lake erie. Ive been lurking this site for a while. Wheres my fellow buckeyes?? I have seen none.  Been strictly going after bigger fish the last few years. I attached my two biggest ones so far. The top was a 23 inch 7.5 pounder. The bottom was a phat 5.8. Not very familiar with how to post images on here. Anybody know how to un sideways a profile pic? And yea I blurred out the surroundings of that 23” fish picture. That wasnt so much for you guys as it was when i posted to fishbrain or sent to friends.

87598999-C8E5-445F-9D38-AC27420E89A2.jpeg

D9120B49-B42E-4F67-8BE0-4C2523BF6789.jpeg

On 10/9/2020 at 9:24 AM, Jon P said:

Nearly broke my PB last weekend at a secret lake of mine. Most folks only know it as a kokanee lake but last fall when I was there I heard anglers moaning about bass eating kokanee off their line. this is only my second trip there but I got low five pounders and the one 6.26. There was a kokanee corral that bass were stacked up under eating the small ones that escaped. Didn't have any kokanee baits but the perch 250 is a perfect match to the lakes equally massive perch.

The real highlight of the day though, was seeing a fish near twice the size of the 6. Chucked the 250 along a battered wood and aluminum dock sticking out over a main lake point and started a popping retrieve darting in between the dock supports. I'd seen a catch and kill notice for recently introduced pike to the lake so I had that in the back of my head as I was fishing without a leader. As I brought the 250 right to the bow of the boat a massive brown head (think 50" musky sized head) came out and slashed at the bait. I ripped the 250 away as to not lose it to the pike and tied on some 40 lb leader, backed up the boat, and repeated the retrieve. once the bait came to the end of the dock the fish came out and I got to see one of the largest northern strain fish I'd ever seen. In my head it registered as being an oil barrel sized fish but in reality it's more likely in the 8-10 pound ballpark. 

On the second follow it made no moves to eat the bait. Just came out slowly and casually at the surface, feeling like it was making eye contact. Seeing as how the fish was acting skittish I backed out about fifty feet to eat my lunch and let the fish mellow out before trying a follow up bait. probably would have deadsticked a deadtwitch til it ate. While I was sitting there with my dick in my hands (figure of speech) the guy who actually owned the dock came out and folded it up for the winter! after he took off the first cross-section of the dock the big fish spooked and lumbered off down the top of the point, passing right under the boat to get to deep water.

Thankfully with the new moon next weekend I'll have a good shot at the fish. Plus, with bathymetric mapping and a marker on the point the fish isn't going anywhere! not to mention it's a small lake only frequented by kokanee anglers! practically pissing my pants with excitement.

6.2 (2).jpg

6.26.jpg

kok.jpg

Love the write-up! I was rolling at “ In my head it registered as being an oil barrel sized fish“ That Kokanee corral is like a giant chum tank.

On 11/24/2020 at 9:26 AM, japanesebassman said:

Just like the bathtub analogy  our  biggest inland fish come from stuctureless, up ground resevoirs. Usually just barren “water bowls” with rocks and full of shad, panfish, etc. plenty of bait. And nowhere to run and hide. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 11/25/2020 at 8:56 AM, japanesebassman said:

I am in upstate NY Saratoga county area. I am 45 mins from Lake George. It is a beautiful clear water fishery and it does have big bass. It is also a big vacation destination with heavy heavy boat traffic from spring-fall. Champlain ain't too far either and has plenty of 10 pumders. I really love lake George it's such a diverse fishery. It's cold, has BIG trout. big pickerel and pike. I'll be spending the majority of 2021 throwing swimbaits and glide baits in hopes to come in contact with some big NY giants. I am also intrigued by the NYC res'. Ashokan res is on my list for 2021. reading the reports I believe that there is NYS record in that res. The good thing in my opinion is it is electric motors only on the lake or shore fishing. 

4 hours ago, Spencer_518 said:

I am in upstate NY Saratoga county area. I am 45 mins from Lake George. It is a beautiful clear water fishery and it does have big bass. It is also a big vacation destination with heavy heavy boat traffic from spring-fall. Champlain ain't too far either and has plenty of 10 pumders. I really love lake George it's such a diverse fishery. It's cold, has BIG trout. big pickerel and pike. I'll be spending the majority of 2021 throwing swimbaits and glide baits in hopes to come in contact with some big NY giants. I am also intrigued by the NYC res'. Ashokan res is on my list for 2021. reading the reports I believe that there is NYS record in that res. The good thing in my opinion is it is electric motors only on the lake or shore fishing. 

very interesting. i know someone who has caught a 9 out of ashokan before. it’s actually very easy to catch smallmouth there in large numbers from my experience. that place definitely holds massive fish and is worth grinding. i doubt many people throw big baits there, let alone know how to use their electronics properly. most people i see are trout fishermen trolling for lakers or people just blind casting for smallmouth in the summer. i believe you have to get your kayak steam washed if you want to fish it though. 

Lake george is an awesome place to fish. super clear water, and epic smallmouth and largemouth fishing. i have gotten on some awesome jigs bites at that lake. Loved every minute of fishing there. Not sure if it’s state record potential though due to it being overrun with a ton of little bass and smallmouth, but i might be wrong. 

17 hours ago, Spencer_518 said:

I'm in the Saratoga area as well. The great sacandaga is about 10 mins away. I've caught a couple of 5 and 6 pounders as well as some monster pike. I love that lake.

On 12/26/2020 at 9:52 PM, japanesebassman said:

very interesting. i know someone who has caught a 9 out of ashokan before. it’s actually very easy to catch smallmouth there in large numbers from my experience. that place definitely holds massive fish and is worth grinding. i doubt many people throw big baits there, let alone know how to use their electronics properly. most people i see are trout fishermen trolling for lakers or people just blind casting for smallmouth in the summer. i believe you have to get your kayak steam washed if you want to fish it though. 

Lake george is an awesome place to fish. super clear water, and epic smallmouth and largemouth fishing. i have gotten on some awesome jigs bites at that lake. Loved every minute of fishing there. Not sure if it’s state record potential though due to it being overrun with a ton of little bass and smallmouth, but i might be wrong. 

My wife and I stay up in Lake George a few times a year and always try to find a place on the water. This past summer in May we stayed at a place and no joke right from the dock for 3 days straight i was on a crazy jerkbait bite! I never experienced anything like it. Now I look back and wish I had the big baits I have now. 

You are right about the Ashokan res and the steam cleaning of the boat. I hope to get there a few times in the new year but I would like to get some electronics for my kayak to help locate fish and structure. 

On 12/27/2020 at 11:17 AM, WaterWolf44 said:

I'm in the Saratoga area as well. The great sacandaga is about 10 mins away. I've caught a couple of 5 and 6 pounders as well as some monster pike. I love that lake.

That's cool! I need to fish it more! I'll hit the conklinville damn once and a while or stewarts bridge res