Short Swimbait Rods

PKNNH

On 7/5/2020 at 1:37 PM, Cranky said:

It’s a hair longer than you’re talking about at 7’6” but the Poison Glorious 176XXH-SB might be one of the nicest swimbait rods I’ve ever seen and/or fished. Weighs 147grams and rated to 10.5oz... almost seems impossible until you fish it. It’s amazing. 

AD69D95F-BF16-47C4-A6E5-F5C13E5AA861.jpeg

8E704E74-E734-4B8B-BB92-04EA8FE042CF.jpeg

Those  Shimano Poison Rods are out of this world!!!!! AMAZING RODS!!!!

• 3 months later...

Tenryu BBZ682B-XXK.

Abu Garcia Hornet Stinger Plus BB 671X

Jabbers Beast Flogger 705H

WLCR-63XHPB PREST 

BC4 5.10LH-BC4 5.10MXH

these are some rods I had written down for that same application. Personally I'm saving up for the WLCR-63XHPB PREST.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/17/2020 at 1:28 PM, PKNNH said:

I am a huge fan of short swimbait rods since I fish from the shore (and when I say short I mean 7'5" and lower). I own the DEPS 7'3", Tulala 7'5", and Megabass 7'2". 

I'm looking for other short swimbait rods out there. What are you guys throwing?

Majorcraft Days 7' XH. They make a 2 piece and one piece model. Very good for shore fishermen

On 7/5/2020 at 4:37 PM, Cranky said:

It’s a hair longer than you’re talking about at 7’6” but the Poison Glorious 176XXH-SB might be one of the nicest swimbait rods I’ve ever seen and/or fished. Weighs 147grams and rated to 10.5oz... almost seems impossible until you fish it. It’s amazing. 

AD69D95F-BF16-47C4-A6E5-F5C13E5AA861.jpeg

8E704E74-E734-4B8B-BB92-04EA8FE042CF.jpeg

im jealous. the whole Poison series rods are so sick. awesome combo man

The WLCR-63XHPB in action, dude could use a net. Thinking about this or that Legit Design Big Bait Special WSC65XXH for close quarters Balam fishing. Issue is with most 6'-7' big bait rods I've seen is that they tend to cap off at 4 oz. 

On 6/17/2020 at 1:28 PM, PKNNH said:

I am a huge fan of short swimbait rods since I fish from the shore (and when I say short I mean 7'5" and lower). I own the DEPS 7'3", Tulala 7'5", and Megabass 7'2". 

I'm looking for other short swimbait rods out there. What are you guys throwing?

Recently broke a dobyns rod and just ordered a replacement, in the meantime I've been using a shimano trevalla saltwater jigging rod. Its a 5'6 that performs as well as an NRX for a much friendlier price range. I'ts a bit ridiculously short, but it works like a dream wiht the right reel and line. Its ideal for the smaller jig hook softbaits like hudds or burritos because it's ridiculously sensitive.

6 hours ago, Jon P said:

The WLCR-63XHPB in action, dude could use a net. Thinking about this or that Legit Design Big Bait Special WSC65XXH for close quarters Balam fishing. Issue is with most 6'-7' big bait rods I've seen is that they tend to cap off at 4 oz. 

Man i wish i could get an eat that close! awesome clip

• 2 months later...
On 6/19/2020 at 9:10 AM, Noreaster603 said:

i am currently throwing a wicked customs rod "shorty" he just came out with this shorter style rod and tbh I prefer it over my 8' rod even in the boat. He is on IG but dont believe he is on the underground. The rod is 7' XH with fast action  rated 1-6oz.. I throw everything on it from UFO to biggfeast bomber wakes.

How do you like the rod? I’m interested in it but haven’t seen any reviews on it. 

On 6/19/2020 at 9:10 AM, Noreaster603 said:

i am currently throwing a wicked customs rod "shorty" he just came out with this shorter style rod and tbh I prefer it over my 8' rod even in the boat. He is on IG but dont believe he is on the underground. The rod is 7' XH with fast action  rated 1-6oz.. I throw everything on it from UFO to biggfeast bomber wakes.

Hey man so I’ve been looking into that rod and was just wondering what’s your honest opinion on it?

On 1/18/2021 at 11:49 AM, Gkelly26 said:

Hey man so I’ve been looking into that rod and was just wondering what’s your honest opinion on it?

Honestly I love it, especially for shore banging in tighter quarters and fishing out of jon boats which are my two main ways I fish. I prefer it over my 8' rod. It has a nice parabolic bend and slings baits well, even Hoggs with no issues. Definitely my go to for treble hooked baits.

Edited by Noreaster603

Just now, Noreaster603 said:

Honestly I love it, especially for shore banging in tighter quarters and fishing out of jon boats which are my two main ways I fish. I prefer it over my 8' rod. It has good flex and slings baits well throws even Hoggs with no issues.

Did you lose any casting distance with it?