Bite-Sized Gill

danthefisherman

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Rogervang said:

Hey Dan, do you ever make a bad looking bait? Haha that bait is a piece of art! For sure itll get bit. Let me know when you done with one. I'll take it off your hands. 

Haha yes sir, I do. As you know it's taken me 5+ years of practice to be able to carve a gem like this every once in awhile...I'm a slow but persistent learner. Thanks for the words of affirmation!

On 7/6/2020 at 12:50 PM, danthefisherman said:

Build update: just finished scaling the bait...now I just need to clean up the fins and any rough areas before priming and getting ready to mold. This has got to be the fastest I've ever progressed in a swimbait build haha

20200706_094112-01.thumb.jpeg.c18de4c5b29d07d60148e4658d5befc1.jpeg

Dan this bait looks awesome. Great job

Silicone arrived today and I have old molds chopped up and ready to recycle, but now I'm almost out of mold release. Go figure. Might take the risk to squeeze some out of the can but I'm scared it won't be enough. Having a mold fuse together after all that work is not a good feeling haha. These are critical steps in my building process, so I'm trying to force myself to go slow and think things through.

Here's a better shot of the head detailing as I'm cleaning it up in preparation for light primer (I prime my masters more to protect the wood and reveal defects than to fill in blemishes). I may have to move the line tie and even the hook hangers around eventually, but so far I think this is ideal placement to minimize fouling and maximize hookups. Can't wait to start tinkering with different models of this bait!

20200710_163323-01.thumb.jpeg.99a05a970ec75f4c1b02392c7b1864a6.jpeg