Bite-Sized Gill

danthefisherman

Two days ago my brother and I were finally able to fish the river again for the first time since lockdown. The bass were feeding heavily on newly hatched bluegills near weed beds, and we caught quite a few decent ones on crankbaits including the fattest bass that I've ever landed in my life. All the while as I was catching bass on the crankbait I wished I had a small bluegill imitator like a baby bullshooter or baby hardgill...something I could fish parallel to the weed edge and target the bigger fish with. Well, what's there to stop a bait maker? Just add it to the list of never-ending projects! :D

Here's the new design I plan to make: it's going to measure a wee 5in and I expect it to weigh about 1.5oz. A multijoint swimmer and billed crankdown would be perfect to fish those weed edges. Of course I also want to make it into a glide, but I expect it to be more of a twitch bait due to ballast constraints which is fine for fishing in and around cover. I really would love to put soft fins on this baby, but I think it would take too much resin away from the body and add unnecessary weight so I'm opting for hard fins. I probably won't have it complete this season, but seeing how it's such a small bait I'm hoping to have fishable prototypes by next gill season.

Nothing gets me excited like a new bait project! Now I have three baits I'm actively working on and need to finish haha. Happy building and thanks for following along!

Dan

20200618_173327-01.thumb.jpeg.b68367e302ebcd1392db1e4ce32328aa.jpeg

20200617_112445.thumb.jpg.7640039539353f90d14b24f70c8fdc74.jpg

1 hour ago, Luke h said:

That is one fat bass!

For sure! I was in shock when I pulled her up haha

39 minutes ago, dominioncaster said:

Sounds like a great bait. 

Something that's been missing in my lineup for too long...there are so many small gills around that's it's no wonder I didn't make it sooner! A small gill glide/twitch bait would wreck those bass!

27 minutes ago, captainhookset said:

1.   that is a slob, congrats

2.  Small gill baits are the bomb.  can't wait to see it.

Thanks! I can't wait to throw it!

7 minutes ago, Noreaster603 said:

stoked to see this bait in action once you bring it to life! That bass is fat as hell haha what did that thing weigh?

Me too! Not sure what she weighed because I didn't want to bother digging up the batteries for my scale. Too bad I wish I got a belly shot she was bulging!

Look at that belly! 

Every bait makers dream is to have all their baits finish hahaha that's going to be a killer bite size bait man. I would go with a solid resin bait also. I think with smaller baits the soft material starts to affect the swim of the lure a little. But nothing is impossible, right? Good luck with the build mam, it's going to be killer. 

1 hour ago, Rogervang said:

Look at that belly! 

Every bait makers dream is to have all their baits finish hahaha that's going to be a killer bite size bait man. I would go with a solid resin bait also. I think with smaller baits the soft material starts to affect the swim of the lure a little. But nothing is impossible, right? Good luck with the build mam, it's going to be killer. 

Yessir! You're probably right about the soft fins affecting the swim on smaller baits...I haven't made a hard bait this small in a good while, so it will be a fun change of pace!

21 minutes ago, El_Weruso said:

That's a fish that'll become a biggin! Digging the baits profile, can't wait to see the outcome!

Without a doubt...hoping we'll meet again when she reaches double diget status!

Edited by danthefisherman

Smoothed out with a quick set of mock up fins...chose to leave this bait pretty chunky to give it a bigger presence in the water. Liking what I see so far!

Edit: also made a mistake with the measurements...the bait will actually measure 5.5" long with the tail

20200624_164407-01.thumb.jpeg.2457849241c05323fc8cda56a3a58ae3.jpeg

Edited by danthefisherman