Bait painters (?)

Jeff22

I have never repainted a bait that has been ''repainted'' so whats the best way 2 do that, if i sand it lightly repaint it, seal/it, when i reseal the paint in expoxy, does it kill the bait having so much expoxy on it having been expoxyed 2 times? or whats the best way 2 do that? What is everybody using for clear coat now days , i have only used devacon but if there is something better i would like 2 try it. Thanks for any help.

I don't paint, but I've heard automotive clear coats work well.

Ive heard that also, ill have to find somebody with some 2 try in case i dont like it and i aint out $

In my opinion, automotive clear coat is the way to go. I make A LOT of lures and automotive clear is the THE way to do it. You can buy an aerosol can of Auto clear coat which is a one use deal and it's not too expensive.

I've considered painting my lures a solid color which works from my area. For example, most of my top,waters are black. Would be nice to get whatever I need regardless of color and redo them as needed. Those matte black special runs from 3:16 were sweet.

Any suggestions on what I can use to strip the paint for those that have their manufacturers coat on? I'm guessing there's a Kryoln spray paint I could use to create the matte finish and can probably dispense with the clear coat. Sorry if I hijacked this thread but thought its comparable enough it didn't need another thread.

I've considered painting my lures a solid color which works from my area. For example, most of my top,waters are black. Would be nice to get whatever I need regardless of color and redo them as needed. Those matte black special runs from 3:16 were sweet.

Any suggestions on what I can use to strip the paint for those that have their manufacturers coat on? I'm guessing there's a Kryoln spray paint I could use to create the matte finish and can probably dispense with the clear coat. Sorry if I hijacked this thread but thought its comparable enough it didn't need another thread.

No hijack here i got what i wanted. But i had a guy 1 time tell me the best way 2 get paint off is 2 leave it and just sand it a little just 2 scruff up the paint so the new stays on good (something for it 2 grab on 2), I have tried all kinds of remover to strip the original paint off and every attempt i screwed it up.

all you need to do is sand it with some 400 so the new paint has something to bite in to. if you feel thats not enough, then use a paint bonding agent. the only time you need to completely strip a bait is if a bait is completely chewed up and you want the smoothest surface possible.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

If needed, I gently sand the bait first, then spray a white primer to cover the original color and then when dry, I begin to airbrush the bait. When I am done painting I either dip or brush the baits with a moisture cure urethane to serve as the final coat (I use this in lieu of epoxy) as I don't have to mix anything. I haven't had any issues doing it this way and so far this process seems to hold up well.