More pickerel

Jim137a

15 minutes ago, CG_Fishes said:

Honestly I love catching these guys this time of year. If you're targetting them you can get numbers and some really big ones over 2ft, just make sure to have a leader

I don’t target them - they’re targeting me - LOL. 

The ponds and lakes in NJ where I primarily fish are loaded with them. 

‘If I could find bass like I find pickerel in my local waters I’d be a pretty happy camper. Lol

Edited by Jim137a

18 hours ago, Jim137a said:

‘If I could find bass like I find pickerel in my local waters I’d be a pretty happy camper. Lol

a lot of my more swamp like ponds have tons of pickerel, but they also have giant bass. In my mind any pick over 20" is a worthy catch

19 hours ago, japanesebassman said:

ha good old pickerel. can be a nuisance but always feels good to get a bite this time of year

Yea sometimes you can't keep them off your line and they're a pain to unhook, but it always feels good to set the hook into them. Plus a 2 footer puts up quite the fight.

2 hours ago, CG_Fishes said:

a lot of my more swamp like ponds have tons of pickerel, but they also have giant bass. In my mind any pick over 20" is a worthy catch

They’re definitely fun - I love it if I get to see them crush a lure - I hate unhooking them.  Every pond, lake and some rivers I fish in North Jersey has them. 

Hit the lake again today more pickerel a few perch and I actually found 5 small bass willing to bite. The only bummer was they weren’t interested in swimbaits. 

I’d kayak to my target area and throw a swimbait past the target and slowly work it back - no bass. I’d rest the area come back and throw a jerkbait in there and hook up with a bass.  I most likely need to work on my swimbait presentation but it is what it is.  

It was hard to focus on swimbaiting today because a guy from French Polynesia called me and suspended my Social Security # - he said he could correct the issue if I paid the penalties in Apple Gift Cards.  LOL

5AB37184-D196-4F22-BD7E-BD3C67957382.jpeg

582D713E-95A1-4FF4-84AF-ACF443E17EEF.jpeg

2D02C837-AF9D-41BE-AA33-9E077FB07793.jpeg

A5F53B80-E63C-42D5-B5F8-F7883C222F9F.jpeg

53B8FC32-7097-4C97-B90A-E5BE8D165A18.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/27/2020 at 8:28 PM, Jim137a said:

ME2 DUDE.  10-1 pickerel. I need a damn restraining order on them! They are like weirdly obsessed with me! 

On 11/27/2020 at 6:48 PM, Jim137a said:

Still cant find the bass - water temps were 47 today, overcast slight breeze, decent chop on the water and only pickerel. 

2C5C95F3-49CA-41CF-898F-757A02661E2C.jpeg

I cant relate to the struggle of pickerel, theres one lake near me with a large population of them but generally its just pike and tiger musky ill run into, which are usually a welcome catch.

8 minutes ago, willlliw said:

I cant relate to the struggle of pickerel, theres one lake near me with a large population of them but generally its just pike and tiger musky ill run into, which are usually a welcome catch.

Muskies are big fun, pike 2nd and pickerel.  

40 minutes ago, willlliw said:

Crazy how just an hour north of me you don't have many picks. Most of my spots are swampy little ponds which are LOADED with picks, with quite a few over 2ft. I'm excited to move up there next fall, hoping to catch some bigs

3 minutes ago, CG_Fishes said:

Crazy how just an hour north of me you don't have many picks. Most of my spots are swampy little ponds which are LOADED with picks, with quite a few over 2ft. I'm excited to move up there next fall, hoping to catch some bigs

I have family in Binghamton so ive fished there a bit over the last few years, crazy the difference just an hour changes the fishing. From Syracuse you can catch most species in the state within an hour or so drive. Best part is the proximity to the Salmon River... 

Just now, willlliw said:

I have family in Binghamton so ive fished there a bit over the last few years, crazy the difference just an hour changes the fishing. From Syracuse you can catch most species in the state within an hour or so drive. Best part is the proximity to the Salmon River... 

Yeah, I live half an hour North of Bing, hadn't fished around the city until this fall, going to college there. Even the distance from where I live to Bing is super different, all swamps and a few rivers where I live, Bing is mostly gravel pits and the big rivers. I have a few spots scoped out in Syracuse not far from the school that I'm looking to hit ASAP