Best reel under $200 for 2oz - 3oz glides

Jean-Luc

Hello SU. I just got into swimbait fishing this past year and I've been throwing the S-Waver 168, 6'' Magdraft, and Sneaky Pete  5.75'' on my 7'2 Med Hvy SLX casting rod paired with an SLX DC with 17lb fluoro. I know that this rod isn't meant to throw baits this big and I plan to throw slightly larger baits in the 2oz - 3oz weight. I have decided to go with the Dobyns Fury 795 SB rod since I don't plan on throwing anything heavier than 3oz. I'm just not sure about what reel to pair with it and what lb line to spool it with. If you guys have any recommendations for a reel under $200 and line to spool it with that would be awesome!

Three things.

1. Buy the 806, and not the 795.

2. Any reel is going to be fine for 2-3oz baits.

3. What are you fishing for? This matters more for the reel than the baits that you are throwing.

If you are strictly fresh water/largemouth, any 200 sized reel would be fine. If you are going to be going after some striper/pike/musky I would look into the Curado or Tranx300 (depending on how much saltwater you will see). If the bigger fish are your main targets, the Tranx400 is a great option.

General all around reel, 300k is probably the best bet. You can get them for $175 new, and toss 150 yards of 65lb on it and be good for just about everything.

For anything under 3-4 ounce range, I've always found 200 size reels to be the best.

Correct me if I'm wrong guys, but using a tranx 300, Curado 300, tatula 300 (or whatever your choice is) seems overkill unless you get into the truley big baits (anything 4 ounces and up). 

Just now, bluemeister777 said:

For anything under 3-4 ounce range, I've always found 200 size reels to be the best.

Correct me if I'm wrong guys, but using a tranx 300, Curado 300, tatula 300 (or whatever your choice is) seems overkill unless you get into the truley big baits (anything 4 ounces and up). 

The lure weight doesn't really matter, as long a you can get enough adequately sized line on the spool, at least until you get down to really light stuff.

Reel size has more to do with the fish you are after. I fish with guys who are using tranx 400 and 500s with 3/4 and 1oz jigs for striper.

Tatula 200 will be perfect. If throwing glides your most likely gonna be avoiding leaders anyway so the t wing will definitely be a plus. Ive been using mine to toss a 250 and waver 200 w no problems. And mine is 7 years old, and has been used for frogging, flipping, jigs and now swimbaits. They're bulletproof 

Edited by Kyle1387

38 minutes ago, rwp said:

Three things.

1. Buy the 806, and not the 795.

2. Any reel is going to be fine for 2-3oz baits.

3. What are you fishing for? This matters more for the reel than the baits that you are throwing.

If you are strictly fresh water/largemouth, any 200 sized reel would be fine. If you are going to be going after some striper/pike/musky I would look into the Curado or Tranx300 (depending on how much saltwater you will see). If the bigger fish are your main targets, the Tranx400 is a great option.

General all around reel, 300k is probably the best bet. You can get them for $175 new, and toss 150 yards of 65lb on it and be good for just about everything.

I know the 806 is really good but I don't plan on throwing anything heavier than 3oz and I am a bank angler so I think the 795 might be a better fit. I'm strictly fishing freshwater for largemouth and nothing else. I'm not sure if I should go with the Curado 200k or 300k if I'm spooling it with 20lb fluoro. 

6 minutes ago, Kyle1387 said:

Tatula 200 will be perfect. If throwing glides your most likely gonna be avoiding leaders anyway so the t wing will definitely be a plus. Ive been using mine to toss a 250 and waver 200 w no problems. And mine is 7 years old, and has been used for frogging, flipping, jigs and now swimbaits. They're bulletproof 

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm just confused on what line I'm spooling it with. Am I to use straight braid or fluoro and what lb?

35 minutes ago, Jean-Luc said:

I know the 806 is really good but I don't plan on throwing anything heavier than 3oz and I am a bank angler so I think the 795 might be a better fit.

I have to agree with @rwp on this. You might say now that you won't go any heavier but you never know. I once thought the same thing when I started out and then next thing I know a 250 magically appeared at my doorstep. Just a thought for ya.