Boating Newbie

djpeterbilt

Anyone has any boating tips for a new boater. I inherited my Dad’s 99 Triton TR-19 with a 150 Evinrude Etec H/O. I’ve driven it once this summer. I’m just a bit nervous to drive it.

It’s set up with a hot foot, when I drove it for the first time I had it trimmed out to about 3 thought I had it wide open. The hot foot was all the way to the floor. The speedometer doesn’t work, just the tach.

I lnow to trim down to get on plane and trim down when running in rough water to take the wake better.

You can download a GPS speedometer app also to check speed

Funny story about that my Dad has just gotten a HDS 5 my Dad was coming accross the lake. He was looking at the HDS my dad thought he was in 35 ft of water instead he was going 35 miles per hour and ran up and got stuck on a sand bar.

• 2 weeks later...
You can download a GPS speedometer app also to check speed

Funny story about that my Dad has just gotten a HDS 5 my Dad was coming accross the lake. He was looking at the HDS my dad thought he was in 35 ft of water instead he was going 35 miles per hour and ran up and got stuck on a sand bar.

Id say he was lucky it wasnt a rock bar instead :lol:

Dont know if your still looking for advice but the one thing I can recomend is dont drive it like alot of guys do... to the redline on the tach. THink about it like a car... you wouldnt drive around with your foot hammered down all the time right? It easy to get caught up driving fast and in a hurry but cruising at around 4k rpm most of the time will save you cash on gas and repairs. I keep mine around there and it seems to humm right along. I need to get a variable pitch prop to help with torque too... anyways, thats my one tip... drive it like a commuter car not a race car and it will save you cash and headaches. Besides that, practice and use your trim as much as possible, it helps with planing, rough water, how tight your boat will turn, and is also what determines if you are going to have a smooth ride or get your lower bqack beat to death. Sounds like you have a nice rig... good luck and tight lines

Dont know if your still looking for advice but the one thing I can recomend is dont drive it like alot of guys do... to the redline on the tach. THink about it like a car... you wouldnt drive around with your foot hammered down all the time right? It easy to get caught up driving fast and in a hurry but cruising at around 4k rpm most of the time will save you cash on gas and repairs. I keep mine around there and it seems to humm right along. I need to get a variable pitch prop to help with torque too... anyways, thats my one tip... drive it like a commuter car not a race car and it will save you cash and headaches. Besides that, practice and use your trim as much as possible, it helps with planing, rough water, how tight your boat will turn, and is also what determines if you are going to have a smooth ride or get your lower bqack beat to death. Sounds like you have a nice rig... good luck and tight lines

Thanks man for the advice. Top end it should run 65-68 mph. Right now I'm more concerned about learning to drive it safely and not destroying it or myself. The motors an '07 I believe it is still under waranty. Only problem is mechanics who fix ETEC's are few and far between here.

The hull and everything is good it has been garage kept since day one. The hours on the motor should be low too. My dad never went fishing just to go fishing it was always tournament fishing. So the boat would go out about 6-10 times a year, so the hours should be good.

• 1 month later...

Usually a general rule of thumb is that if your roostertail is taller than the motor you have it trimmed too high. I have an 04 ranger 185 with a 150 evinrude on it and i usually don't trim it up past 3/4's. When i first got it with no gear and a full tank of gas it would top out at about 60 but now with an A$$ load of gear, a full tank of gas, and one other person in it she tops out at about 50. after next year my payments are done and i may try to trade it in on a Legend Alpha 199. They are suppose to handle big waves really well and a lot of the lakes i fish are fairly big and can get pretty nasty in a hurry. Also in the waves don't be afraid to trim it down a little. I'm not quite sure how the tritons handle waves since i have only been in one twice and it was calm out, but with rangers i know if u trim it down some it cuts through the tops of the waves and it also reduces the pounding you get when your motor is trimmed up to the max. Good luck and that's a really nice boat to inherit.

You wanna trim down and use the bow to cut the waves, thats what its designed to do, but Id say the main reason to trim down and cut the waves is so you dont beat the hell out of your lower back!!!! :lol::lol: The pad that the boat rides on in the back of the hull is flat for max speed but doesnt do much for ride quality. this is a common problem with bass boat drivers along with trimming up so far theres a huge rooster tail. all that water in the air is wasted thrust, i.e; wasted fuel and prop cavatation lower top end speed

• 1 month later...

dont go fast and turn on a wake. when i see a wake i usually turn away from in and then slow down then turn into it head on. so its just jumping not hitting the wake sideways. go slow around turns that u cant see around the corner. always maintenance it when its supposed to be. and dont drive reckless!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Sound like you have a fun boat to ride around and fish in. Just take your time learning how it handles. A lot of the guys gave you some great info already. I move from a 17 ft to a 21 ft TR21 once I became comfortable driving, but those Tritons have a serious chine walk at high speed. The E-tech is going to be your problem in my own "02 cents". Finding someone that will fix it. Oh yeah, Baby that thing, engine work is freaking expensive. My local mech charges 80 bucks an hour. Get it serviced when it needs to, and don't scrimp on oil. Just my 02 cents, have fun with your new baby. :D

• 1 month later...

Finally have been taking my Triton out. I experienced the Triton chine was Saturday. Started at about 5000-5500 RPM's. So Sunday went back out made a few minor adjustments. First I eased the trim up, bumping it up a little at a time. No more chine walk.