Tatula 400

Jon P

I've been hearing about the new Tatula 300 since earlier last fall, though this morning I learned that the Japanese market is also getting a Tatula 400! It comes in a 6.3:1 and a 7.1:1 gear ratio with both lefty and righty options. Since the price point is nearly identical to that of the Tranx in that $200-$250 ballpark I might end up alternating my Tranx reels out for Tatulas.

https://www.lurenewsr.com/139222/

400.jpg

Just now, japanesebassman said:

i hate my Tatula 300. It got insanely grindy in a week, the casting distance was mediocre and i wish i could sell it. I have a friend who had a similar experience. I take care of my gear, so this was very unusual  to me.

have you taken it apart and cleaned it?

Just now, thedonnguyen said:

have you taken it apart and cleaned it?

yes i have, three of the main gear teeth chipped from just casting around a reservoir. I treated the reel just fine, putting neoprene reel covers on it, not leaving it face down, and so on. Replaced the main gear and still grindy, just not as much. I think it’s a problem with the bearings.

39 minutes ago, japanesebassman said:

i hate my Tatula 300. It got insanely grindy in a week, the casting distance was mediocre and i wish i could sell it. I have a friend who had a similar experience. I take care of my gear, so this was very unusual  to me.

Well that's discouraging, and I treat my reels like ish

I have never had an issue with any Tatula, I'm sure stuff happens but mine have been used HEAVILY and no issues... In fact the only daiwa reels I've had issues with were the old lexa getting grindy.... I'd definitely be down to try that 400. 

10 minutes ago, Bmurr7 said:

I have never had an issue with any Tatula, I'm sure stuff happens but mine have been used HEAVILY and no issues... In fact the only Daiwa reels I've had issues with were the old lexa getting grindy.... I'd definitely be down to try that 400. 

I went 2 yrs without cleaning one of my gray lexas and it had ZERO issues lol

11 hours ago, japanesebassman said:

same thing for me after two days of light use 

Damn hate to hear this, i bought a lexa as my first setup years back. Reel started locking up on the cast within the first couple of months on maybe 6 outings. I came here read up on people saying it was dirty, so i broke it down and found it to be very clean, Stripped/re-lubed everything anyway....problem wouldn’t go away so i sold it for a loss.

After that i honestly didn’t think I’d ever give another daiwa a shot. That is until i got 2 Metaniums and they did not cast the way i was hoping (was really trying to work on skipping) did some more research and thought about switching to a dc for that purpose, but found a lot of reviews where guys were praising the daiwa SV braking when it came to skipping jigs. Bought a brand new tatula SV last season and was so impressed with how it performed i sold both metaniums and replaced them the tatula and a steez Sv. These are a joy to fish so when the rumors of the 300 came about i thought immediately about getting one to go along with my main setup curado 300 ol greeny. Hopefully this is just a small QC problem that they will get figured out otherwise i guess I’ll be looking at the new curado 300 

Edited by rogers954

On 12/17/2020 at 12:57 PM, japanesebassman said:

yes i have, three of the main gear teeth chipped from just casting around a reservoir. I treated the reel just fine, putting neoprene reel covers on it, not leaving it face down, and so on. Replaced the main gear and still grindy, just not as much. I think it’s a problem with the bearings.

Did you send the reel back to Daiwa?