Stupid. Carp.

Shane Snell

Fly fishing for carp’s a kick in the pants, there’s Johnny Boyd’s carp classic out in Idaho every summer. Basically a party in the scrub brush with 20-30 lb mirrors all day. Two years ago my little brother took first with this twenty nine pound piggy.

4D3A5199-5BC9-42F7-BE6D-CCDBA067A9C4.jpeg

• 2 months later...
On 1/23/2021 at 1:16 PM, CG_Fishes said:

I have specifically targeted feeding carp with keitechs in the past, it's actually a lot of fun

wait how the hell you do that cause theres a hell of a lot carp in my lakes and tbh there fun to catch 

On 2/2/2021 at 11:05 AM, Briant N. said:

not going to lie, I actively fish for them with hair jigs and have caught some on keitechs. In fact, carp season is coming up LOL

what hair jigs and how do you catch them on keitechs?

40 minutes ago, jp_midwest said:

wait how the hell you do that cause theres a hell of a lot carp in my lakes and tbh there fun to catch 

Cast a keitech in front of a feeding carp, twitch it on the bottom until it picks it up and set the hook

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/3/2021 at 10:40 PM, JRob said:

I have caught spillway carp  on a NED rig( conventional), and even watched them chase clouser flies one day like bass. Really underrated in the US for sport. My PB carp on the fly is 20#

i caught a big ole grass carp the other day on a micro fly and it was really fun

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/3/2021 at 3:03 PM, jp_midwest said:

what hair jigs and how do you catch them on keitechs?

Late response, sorry. I hand tie marabou jigs and use them during the carp spawn. Usually April- May when carp are super concentrated in back bays spawning is when i actively target them with jigs. I caught my biggest carp on these jigs.  I blind cast for them but I bet that if i could sight cast for them with clear water I would catch way more. This year i was messing with the tiny Lunker City Hellgie with some success. It can be super hit or miss- either they eat like mad or they ignore you completely. I go fishing for big trash fish becaUse i cant catch bass lol. 

7629B36C-30B0-4D81-B633-1D0A941F014F.jpeg

56451005-B727-44DB-96EC-1046EF2D8569.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Carp are not dumb. Have watched them slurping threadfins floating down river on top stunned by the generating, and watched them slapping threadfin running the banks early morning with their tails to stun them. I, too had a big one take a crank bait, once, and thought I had as big bass. Big let down, ha.

• 4 weeks later...

I caught a 20 pound carp in a river on my spinning rod using 6 pound test. Took like ten minutes of heart pounding action. The line would make some crazy noises I have never heard again fighting any other fish. Kind of violin like noise, it is hard to describe but something I will neverforget! Lol! Good times even if it was a carp. 

I got a 15 pound catfish at the same spot too but had 8 pound test that time. All on a okashira head and sparkshad. The river was packed with 3 to 5 pound bass but had all kinds of different species.

I almost forgot but I also got a chrome steelhead at the same spot. He looked like they dipped him in chrome, no joke. Thing was like half a pound but foughf like a two pound bass. Crazy strong for it's size. Man I loved that river. Had a flood acouple of years ago and all that went away. Kind of sad as that place was very fun as I reminisce.

That’s awesome, never caught one on artificial before but have heard many stories. It seems like the creek carp like to munch on some different stuff.