Bait drops

SacPig916

High end - rare swimbaits aren’t really a necessity. Theres readily available options like toxic, bullshad, spro, Deps etc that cover the spectrum . Why should a bait maker sell any way that isn’t the most convenient for them as long as they don’t screw with paying customers? I’d be lying if I didn’t agree with the business practices of every bait maker out there but it’s not like anyone NEEDS their baits. With that said, I believe scoring on a limited drop is a rush.. and that rush may be the reason why so many guys get addicted to collecting swimbaits lol

19 minutes ago, chevro1et said:

If it doesn't affect you since you don't participate in bait drops, and apparently the bait maker doesn't like or respect you, why do you care so much?

I've already stated why I care.  I see room for abuse and unhappy customers.  I don't really care who likes or respects me.

18 minutes ago, B_larkin3 said:

High end - rare swimbaits aren’t really a necessity. Theres readily available options like toxic, bullshad, spro, Deps etc that cover the spectrum . Why should a bait maker sell any way that isn’t the most convenient for them as long as they don’t screw with paying customers? I’d be lying if I didn’t agree with the business practices of every bait maker out there but it’s not like anyone NEEDS their baits. With that said, I believe scoring on a limited drop is a rush.. and that rush may be the reason why so many guys get addicted to collecting swimbaits lol

I can totally get the gambling side of this.  Great point

I think "dropping" baits on your website when they are complete and ready to ship is the best practice as far as us the customer goes. It also seems like the easiest way for the custom bait makers to do buisness. This is how Sly Guy Lures does it and it works.

On the other end pre orders with payment up front is hot garbage in my opinion because someone thats already been paid has less "drive" to complete baits in a timely manner.

A wait list where payment is talked about and made when its your turn or when your order is complete is also a great way for both sides as long as projected wait time is acceptable to the customer. 

Hyping baits and shorting supply to increase demand is common practice in all different types of buisness and will be forever.

4 hours ago, B_larkin3 said:

100% agree. I recently added up the market value of my collection before I started selling to fund a truck and boat. About $42k in swimbaits. I don’t own a single illude, UFO, sly, pats, stray rat, pizz, etc. As said above, you’ll do yourself a favor by not NEEDING a bait just because other people have it. I don’t give a sh!t what other people have. I buy baits that I personally need or want for my arsenal or collection. Will I have a some sly’s, UFO’s and pizz at some point? Absolutely. When they’re all selling under retail on the BM. Don’t think that’s ever gonna happen? Then you haven’t been in swimbaits very long. Want the best, most hyped, hottest baits on the market? Learn patience. Plus it’ll help you while dragging a hudd in cold water. You might even catch a fish 

6 minutes ago, Mossypumpkin said:

100% agree. I recently added up the market value of my collection before I started selling to fund a truck and boat. About $42k in swimbaits. I don’t own a single illude, UFO, sly, pats, stray rat, pizz, etc. As said above, you’ll do yourself a favor by not NEEDING a bait just because other people have it. I don’t give a sh!t what other people have. I buy baits that I personally need or want for my arsenal or collection. Will I have a some sly’s, UFO’s and pizz at some point? Absolutely. When they’re all selling under retail on the BM. Don’t think that’s ever gonna happen? Then you haven’t been in swimbaits very long. Want the best, most hyped, hottest baits on the market? Learn patience. Plus it’ll help you while dragging a hudd in cold water. You might even catch a fish 

Well stated. $42k in baits that’s impressive. I’d have to delete that post if I owned that much in fear that my wife would ever see it 

8 hours ago, SacPig916 said:

......Let's get some facts straight. 

You have every right to be mad, anybody who drops bait's is being disrespectful to their audience. 

It really show's how much they actually care about their customers, which seems to be not at all, 

.... and little care for their loyal customers who want a bait. 

... and decide if you want to support them or not because they obviously don't care about you.  

Extracting the key parts of your original post the underlying theme is that the bait makers that sell through drops don't care about their customers.  

Ya know, I really don't care if the guys behind UFO, BGC, DRT, Illude, Lanciotti or any others "care" about me as a POTENTIAL customer prior to buying a bait.  It's a free market for a luxury item, not a basic life necessity so if the bait maker wants to do a bait drop with limited supply, a raffle, waitlist or give them to his friends to sell Its his CHOICE.

What I do want the bait maker to care about is the quality level he builds his product to and caring about me as a customer AFTER I buy a bait and have a problem with it.  

I get it, you don't like the concept of bait drops and say you won't sell your baits that way.  Good for you.  Just because other very successful bait makers do it that way doesn't make them wrong.

BTW - I missed getting an Illude yesterday too.  It's all part of the game.  Not everyone gets a trophy.

22 minutes ago, Take My Money said:

Well stated. $42k in baits that’s impressive. I’d have to delete that post if I owned that much in fear that my wife would ever see it 

She’s the one telling me I better not sell the slammers hahaha

2 hours ago, swimbaitrookie said:

@Mossypumpkin

You may not own a single illude, UFO, sly, pats, stray rat, pizz, etc but how many 316's do you have?  :grin:

I have a bunch. And I was patient getting them. I don’t believe I own a 3:16 that I couldn’t sell for more than I paid. Because I didn’t need it NOW just because other people had them. Some of my 3:16s I can sell for $100-$300 more than I paid. I wanted an 8” realdeal floater for probably 5 years before I got one. Really want one of the few gill cranks he’s done....doubt I’ll get one for several years. While I wait, I’ll be stacking pigs on the baits I have

10 hours ago, SacPig916 said:

very good points, but something to clarify.  I've never purchased a bait or got cart jacked.  I won't support bait makers who do so.  I fully disagree though, it should not be all about the money.  You should offer a good product for people to catch fish, you are lucky to be making a living doing something that does not require you to have a boss to offer you more money.  Creating hype to sell a product that is obviously in short supply increases prices elsewhere, i get it.. It's marketing.  It's still not right to your customers any way you spin it.  It's not like I don't make baits myself, and I will sure be in the market in a few months when I get moved.  So as a creator I disagree with you and I refuse to earn my money that way. 

Who cares if bait makers are "craftsmen", it has nothing to do with whats going on and you're missing the point.  to your #4, it matters.  You may NEVER get a bait for the asking price of the creator, at least you get a chance with a wait list, which is nothing like a pre-order as you will only receive money when you are ready to make the bait rather than taking money up front. 

It's not just the Illude drop, but that's just currently what I see people complaining about.  This happens frequently though.  Kinda funny how people go straight to name calling when I never participated in this, just an outside looking in on this terrible practice.

on the topic of hype, aren’t we (the swimbait community) to blame for that? Not the makers themselves? For instance, TrapBass did a “drop” yesterday (I.e. loaded baits on their site). They’re all still available as if it’s a normal swimbait store with stuff in stock. Same thing that any other bait makers do in terms of business practice, they just don’t have the hype so people can get them. 

I get that the drops can be frustrating or whatever, but they aren’t disrespectful to customers in my opinion. Speaking of, I got a UFO Koi wake on that drop and I’m picking it up in person since I live in SD where they’re made. He’s a cool ass dude, very responsive, and I’m happy to support a local business. 

Personally I think the best way is to do a monthly drop, and then maybe trice a year do a short list where people have maybe 30 minutes to get on it. Both should be announced well in advance so they're known. That way the bait maker isn't swamped with constant dms to get on a list but also people who can't hit the drops for whatever reason still have a chance. Just my two cents. 

I don’t mind bait drops. I don’t participate often but that’s because I usually forget haha. The thing I don’t like is it seems like most of the baits end up in the hands of flippers. You can always tell when a drop has been shipped because the baits go up immediately for double price and it’s always the same excuses not my style or bigger/smaller than I thought. If that’s the case then sell it for what you paid plus what it would cost to ship. I know it’s part of it nowadays but I miss the days where everyone wanted to help each other out.