How do you repair a broken or missing lip?

ThatKidInNY

Hey y'all, ice out is just around the corner and I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how they replace a missing or broken rat lip. Do you use an epoxy of some sort? I got this DS rat and a fish knocked the lip out last summer. I tried to contact DS about it and the replacement lips he sent me got lost in the mail twice. Thanks!

20210304_142827.jpg

get a lip from cesar for the toxic micro mink which should fit really well. 

i use 2 part epoxy all my lips in on my baits with devcon 2 part 2 ton epoxy, not the 5 minute brand 

one thing you'll want to do and i dont understand why builders dont do it is drill one or two small holes in the lip where it will be inside the bait. This allows epoxy/glue to pass thru the lip and bond the lip stronger in place. the holes dont have to be very large, just big enough for epoxy to pass thru. if the lip is very shallow into the bait its not possible though. 

ive heard from some builders that they dont do it cause if a lip breaks its easier to remove but it still can be done 

12 hours ago, chefchris said:

get a lip from cesar for the toxic micro mink which should fit really well. 

i use 2 part epoxy all my lips in on my baits with devcon 2 part 2 ton epoxy, not the 5 minute brand 

one thing you'll want to do and i dont understand why builders dont do it is drill one or two small holes in the lip where it will be inside the bait. This allows epoxy/glue to pass thru the lip and bond the lip stronger in place. the holes dont have to be very large, just big enough for epoxy to pass thru. if the lip is very shallow into the bait its not possible though. 

ive heard from some builders that they dont do it cause if a lip breaks its easier to remove but it still can be done 

I use BSI extra thick, impossible to remove.  I need to cut mine out with a saw if I break one

On 3/4/2021 at 2:39 PM, ThatKidInNY said:

Hey y'all, ice out is just around the corner and I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how they replace a missing or broken rat lip. Do you use an epoxy of some sort? I got this DS rat and a fish knocked the lip out last summer. I tried to contact DS about it and the replacement lips he sent me got lost in the mail twice. Thanks!

20210304_142827.jpg

4 lips on the way, 2 are the same style (lpo #8) and then two other round bottom versions, the LPO#8 should be the correct one, and you can cut the edges off if you want for a coffin style lip, keep us posted 

id cleaned out any old epoxy or glue out of the lip

if the lip is too thick,  just put some 80 grit sand paper on a level smooth surface and sand down just the area where it slides into the bait and you're good to go, you want snug but not so tight it stresses the resin/wood