Swimbait crappies

Jon P

Went out to a spot a buddy of mine referred me to for some crappie fishing. Shallow crystal clear high mountain pond with loads of big smallmouth and crappie. Ended up figuring them out and caught about a dozen on the spy bait. While I was catching a bunch of the average 12" fish I had my eye on some of the larger fish I would see underneath or on the outsides of the schools. While the smaller fish were all over the spy bait, the bigger fish would only follow until a smaller fish would eat it out from in front of them. That got me thinking about the possibility of using swimbaits that we would consider "too small" for true swimbait bass fishing having an application as trophy crappie catching baits. I know I've seen some big crappie caught as bycatch on smaller swimbaits like the TinyKlash and Shellcracker before. Curious to hear your thoughts.

crao.jpg

51 minutes ago, chefchris said:

they get aggressive when they’re big 

Curious to see how they behave after the spawn is through. As of right now they're pretty finicky.

I'm not sure if this is forbidden, but from what i've heard the baby bull shad is a very good bait for large crappie, not sure how it would do if they're suspended though.

I've heard of people doing well on the baby bullshad. I have had a ton of crappie try to eat my shellcracker too. I catch most of my crappie on a 1.5" swimbait called a slider. I'm sure that a 2.8 keitech would hammer them, same with the new gan craft 70