Roman Made Mother

evans_usmc69

I'm a Mother lover as well...When I first got the bait I could not believe how big the bait was...I was thinking to myself, what the hell were you thinking...Well that all changed when I tied it on and saw the action and the results...

Travis's review is spot on...This bait has unbelievable drawing power...I prefer it over my Deps...I wanted a trout color because I live in Az and our lakes get stocked during the winter months however that didn't pan out and I ended up getting an Albino, it was part of trade deal...I was gonna send it off to Pizz for a repaint but I decided to throw it for a couple trips and boy I'm glad I did...I love the Albino Mother...I now have total confidence in this bait and can't wait for winter to come back because like Travis said, I believe this bait excels during that time...My bait has battle scars all around from hitting rocks and severe hook rash...I guess I need to seal it like Travis recommends...The stock hardware works great, fish stay pinned! Be prepared to swim for your bait...I had my line snap on a cast (check your line often) and had to swim down to get it as it sank... Luckily for me it does have a slow ROF ...Man that was a long, wet, cold day...

I currently throw my Mother on a Dobyns 867/Revo Toro NaCl 60/30# Pline CXX combo...Yes the rod "works" but its not ideal...It is quite a workout and have to kind of baby the cast...

Here are (2) pigs I caught on one outing:

post-23017-0-60493800-1467643549_thumb.jpg

The bait doesn't look that big in a fish that has some size to it:

post-23017-0-12233400-1467643696_thumb.jpg

I've been wanting a mother, but damn after reading about how easily they take on water and then throws it off balance and doesn't swim right? You would think for 400+ dollars they would seal them better. I have cheap wooden baits that barely have any paint left on them that haven't seem to have taken on water and still function perfect.

I've been wanting a mother, but damn after reading about how easily they take on water and then throws it off balance and doesn't swim right? You would think for 400+ dollars they would seal them better. I have cheap wooden baits that barely have any paint left on them that haven't seem to have taken on water and still function perfect.

Just do it

I'm a Mother lover as well...When I first got the bait I could not believe how big the bait was...I was thinking to myself, what the hell were you thinking...Well that all changed when I tied it on and saw the action and the results...

Travis's review is spot on...This bait has unbelievable drawing power...I prefer it over my Deps...I wanted a trout color because I live in Az and our lakes get stocked during the winter months however that didn't pan out and I ended up getting an Albino, it was part of trade deal...I was gonna send it off to Pizz for a repaint but I decided to throw it for a couple trips and boy I'm glad I did...I love the Albino Mother...I now have total confidence in this bait and can't wait for winter to come back because like Travis said, I believe this bait excels during that time...My bait has battle scars all around from hitting rocks and severe hook rash...I guess I need to seal it like Travis recommends...The stock hardware works great, fish stay pinned! Be prepared to swim for your bait...I had my line snap on a cast (check your line often) and had to swim down to get it as it sank... Luckily for me it does have a slow ROF ...Man that was a long, wet, cold day...

I currently throw my Mother on a Dobyns 867/Revo Toro NaCl 60/30# Pline CXX combo...Yes the rod "works" but its not ideal...It is quite a workout and have to kind of baby the cast...

IMG_20160122_160117104.jpg

IMG_20160122_204601.jpg

I'm all in..building a rod..gonna try and figure out the NorCal bite..New Toro beast on the way..working on the mother next

post-24354-0-19087100-1467674764_thumb.png

Edited by BigSlant

Guest Richieg

attachicon.gifIMG_20160122_160117104.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20160122_204601.jpg

Hi, Any problems with yours getting out of tune and not swimming correctly? Or, taking on water? Not sure a wooden lure can be totally waterproof. Thanks for info and nice catch.

Richie,

Thanks for the kind words...As far as getting out of tune yes...Sometimes it seems like it will loose it's glide but a quick pop of the rod and I'm back in business...I never thought to attribute it to the bait taking on water but now that Travis pointed that out that could be the problem...I should probably seal it up before winter...Here in Az it's been over 115° so I can leave it out to dry out and then seal it...I guess I should have been more careful with a $400+ bait but I've fished this bait hard...It's bounced off rock, structure, etc...It's meant to be fished right? Like Travis said, no matter the same, this bait gets attention and gets bit...I wouldn't hesitate to get one...

Really?? The spec calls out 10.5oz..I'm building a rod now based on that as the sweet spot..2 oz could f my plans up

Really?? The spec calls out 10.5oz..I'm building a rod now based on that as the sweet spot..2 oz could f my plans up

I finally bit the bullet and got one. Mine weighs 11.6 ounces new straight out of package. It would of been nice if it really did weigh 10.5, either way it's definitely a work of art though! Pretty excited to throw one! Are you guys tieing directly or useing a split ring or snap? And is there any other place besides the Roman made website to buy tails and silencers? They want 30 bucks for a tail...

post-18891-0-32313100-1468554359_thumb.jpg

I use a size #7 or #8 owner hyper wire split ring.

I agree with Stephen...I casted off my Mother when I first got it when tying directly to the bait and I believe it was because the line rubbed and chafed from repetitive casting...With the split ring, it no longer does that...Talk about a cold swim, I was lucky I got my bait back...

it does weight 10.5 oz...troy oz..

as far as the tail being $30...from what I understand, if they know you actually own a mother, it's cheaper...you just have to shoot them an email...they've had trouble with people making knock offs and still using the RM tail

it does weight 10.5 oz...troy oz..

as far as the tail being $30...from what I understand, if they know you actually own a mother, it's cheaper...you just have to shoot them an email...they've had trouble with people making knock offs and still using the RM tail

Yeah, I meant it would be nice if it was 10.5 oz in our unit of measurement

Guest Richieg

Finally just got mine today! Weighs in at 11.75oz..hot damn..going in for paint to cjs2500..my rod will be about two more weeks!

Is that a bite mark up by the first hook?