Roman Made Mother

evans_usmc69

Not sure I can wait that long :shock: Any other options? I have a couple 250's and like Speedbead said they hold up great, but I'm missing a ton of fish or they're coming off.

river2sea is coming out with a Big S waver, there suppose to be here in about 1-1 1/2 months. its cheaper but its something the fish havent seen

Not sure I can wait that long :shock: Any other options? I have a couple 250's and like Speedbead said they hold up great, but I'm missing a ton of fish or they're coming off.

river2sea is coming out with a Big S waver, there suppose to be here in about 1-1 1/2 months. its cheaper but its something the fish havent seen

^

I have heard a lot of good things about the s waiver and will probably try the bigger s waver when it comes out. You can also contact Ceaser at Toxic baits and he can pretty much make you anything that you want. He makes really good quality baits!

I've been thinking of buying the Mother but have heard a few stories about them falling apart. How have yours held up over time?

I ended up sending my first one back to RM because it came out of tune from taking in too much water...my stupidity for not knowing about wooden baits and especially that just a tad bit of weight change will knock a glide out of tune. The mother is definitely high maintenance, keeping the silencers glued on and keeping the wood sealed, but well worth it to me. If you do purchase a mother, I suggest getting an extra tail, some extra silencers and some 30 minute devcon epoxy to keep the hook rash and other chips sealed.

I can't really comment on how my other ones have held up because I haven't fished them enough to put them through enough pain....but I definitely plan on it once the water gets a little cooler :P

I have a mother on its way, how lightly do you ise the devcon epoxy on the baits when hook rash develops or chips. Would you use a fine brush an lughtly paint it

I've been thinking of buying the Mother but have heard a few stories about them falling apart. How have yours held up over time?

I ended up sending my first one back to RM because it came out of tune from taking in too much water...my stupidity for not knowing about wooden baits and especially that just a tad bit of weight change will knock a glide out of tune. The mother is definitely high maintenance, keeping the silencers glued on and keeping the wood sealed, but well worth it to me. If you do purchase a mother, I suggest getting an extra tail, some extra silencers and some 30 minute devcon epoxy to keep the hook rash and other chips sealed.

I can't really comment on how my other ones have held up because I haven't fished them enough to put them through enough pain....but I definitely plan on it once the water gets a little cooler :P

I have a mother on its way, how lightly do you ise the devcon epoxy on the baits when hook rash develops or chips. Would you use a fine brush an lughtly paint it

Glad you got one on the way! I haven't really done it yet, haven't thrown the mothers much this summer to get hook rash. It's going to be trial and error for me too, I'm just gonna start out with a very light coating and go from there and see how it does

:D Ceaser is the one that suggested the devcon to me, maybe he can fill us in on how he uses it for rash cover up.

Edit: I will say this, not using any type of sealent to keep the wood sealed is much worse :twisted:

• 2 weeks later...
Due to the finicky nature of glide baits, I'd probably thin the Devcon so you don't get any expoxy drying outside the "lines" of the bait. Just do thin coats.

Who knows how one little hard bubble of epoxy would affect it.

use blue painter tape around the area needing repair and then pull it before the epoxy dries. as soon as it get tacky enough to not run pull the tape and it will be all good.

i have always used super glue and it has been great for me. I just hit the area and use a corner of a papertowel to even it out then let dry

^ This. I haven't used it on swimbaits, but I've done that on wooden musky baits, doesn't seem to alter the action at all.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...