6" Gill Project

danthefisherman

1 hour ago, BassBound said:

Man that swim is awesome. That might be the widest glide I have ever seen for a gill profile. Killer job on that one. 

Really! Glad to hear it, but the real test is if I’m able to consistently replicate it ;)

Bluegill profiles (especially short bluegill profiles) inherently do cut and travel through the water well, so I knew from the get go it would be challenging. Changing up the joint and tuning to make it a “chop style” glide that folds in on itself would be easy enough and maybe more appropriate for this shape, but that’s not what I wanted this bait to do. Everything about it from tail shape and hardware placement to the resin ratio and body proportion is thought out to (hopefully) accomplish my design intent. Fun stuff when things go according to plan…until it doesn’t.

On 1/25/2024 at 8:14 PM, danthefisherman said:

Really! Glad to hear it, but the real test is if I’m able to consistently replicate it ;)

Bluegill profiles (especially short bluegill profiles) inherently do cut and travel through the water well, so I knew from the get go it would be challenging. Changing up the joint and tuning to make it a “chop style” glide that folds in on itself would be easy enough and maybe more appropriate for this shape, but that’s not what I wanted this bait to do. Everything about it from tail shape and hardware placement to the resin ratio and body proportion is thought out to (hopefully) accomplish my design intent. Fun stuff when things go according to plan…until it doesn’t.

I totally get that. Being able to consistently replicate lure action is no easy feat. I haven't  ever dealt with resin personally but have heard loads of horror stories about inconsistencies between batches. Its hard enough to get batches of wooden lures to all run identically just due to different densities.  I couldn't imagine with all the variables involved with  resin. You are definitely on to something with that one though. Time and effort well spent. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wanted to share a pre-clear sneak peek of this bait painted up by the talented William Tenborg at “WT Lure Works”. His bluegill patterns are amazing and he put a puzzle piece scale pattern in the joint to make it an extra special contribution for this year’s “Swimbaits for Autism” fundraiser hosted by Swimbait Culture.

IMG_3405.thumb.jpeg.bf0515fdf572a096e21b14eb3a59a38d.jpeg

5 hours ago, danthefisherman said:

Wanted to share a pre-clear sneak peek of this bait painted up by the talented William Tenborg at “WT Lure Works”. His bluegill patterns are amazing and he put a puzzle piece scale pattern in the joint to make it an extra special contribution for this year’s “Swimbaits for Autism” fundraiser hosted by Swimbait Culture.

IMG_3405.thumb.jpeg.bf0515fdf572a096e21b14eb3a59a38d.jpeg

So good. Such a rad bait. Please share again after you clear.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/12/2024 at 11:45 AM, BassBound said:

Those are both killer looking paint jobs. Combined with the awesome swim those will be fish magnets. Are you still working on refinements with the prototypes or do you have them dialed in to your liking?  

I think I have a recipe that is good…but I won’t be satisfied until I start consistently catching fish on it. Eagerly anticipating the spring bite!