JDM?

Ceaser

Ive been throwing a jointed craw a long time on the hush, way before the slide swimmer became so popular. These are a great bait that has been loading the boat for years but arent being gobbled up. And laying baits out with the place origin and total weight u will catch? I think that depends on the fisherman, theres no magic bait thAt ive found.

Crazy or not, if there was a BBZ and a rago it ripped on a table, reguardless of how much weight the bbz would catch id never throw it. Just wont do that. So to me, where or how something is made, or even who makes it definitely effects my decision. I like warm socks but im not gonna club a baby seal to get some lmao. Anyways, i dont think anyones crazy so to speak, but there is some crazyness over new jdm baits when they drop. Not that i dont agree that they are really cool baits, and dont care if someone is into them or not, i was just asking for others insight as i dont have that jdm fever. Id rather grind it out with a profumo custom glide, glideator, or some of my baits then a slide swimmer. But i can admit this may not be the best decision to load the boat with fish, its just how i roll. Same reason i dont throw a drop shot, its not my preference. It may be killin em, but its not how i roll. Hope no one thinks i am judging or talkin ish cuz they get their JDM on, get those baits and slay some hogs, ill cheer the whole time, its just not how i do it so Im asking my su family to clue me in

I hear you and can completely relate on the point of not wanting to fish something for a certain reason. I more clearly understand where you are coming from. I cant stand bed fishing, no matter the size of fish potential. In my last post, I never really considered that aspect.

I'm wondering if there would even be a market for a glide style bait if it wasnt inspired by Japan. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Im sure it flows both ways and inspiration for new baits comes from anywhere. But through my eyes, I see the American bait market being WAY more influenced by whats happening out east. I read and agree to the point that bass fishing has really be sensationalized and the media and advertising are KILLING the grassroots bait world. Thats where all the awesome new ideas are coming from and catching BEASTS.

Honestly though, how is their any more a crazy for the JDM baits than our own USA made baits? Hell it's easier to get most of the deps baits than it is to get a freakin 3:16 these days. Supply and demand(or lack there of) sells baits to fisherman. It's up to the fisherman to sell the baits to the fish. Some people may think its crazy to spend so much or put so much effort in trying to hit a release on these exclusive baits. For me, its fun, its exciting, and the baits work, so i enjoy it.

Im excited specifically about the deps 250 because its done things i havent seen yet from a bait. I had 50+ followers and a 7 lber last trip alone. I'm also excited about the american made HUDD. That thing is a beast, and absolutely doesnt get credit it deserves. It out fishes swimbaits valued WAY more than it. For me.. sometimes its a challenge to catch something on a different bait.

I hope there arent people out there trading and selling away their proven fish catching swimbaits, whatever they may be, to try and snag some JDM baits and the HOPES they can produce. Now that would be crazy :)

... you must also consider the fact of the following association. the world record *tie is from japan. the angler that was in pursuit of this record fish was using jdm baits to lure these big fish out. however, it was not a jdm bait that caught the record fish.

what bait did he get that world record fish on?

Live bluegill. :oops:

i read that too!!! and i read it was on a mother so im confused what it was caught on!! if it really was a live gil that is a joke :twisted:

The craze you speak of is universal. It isn't JDM vs. USDM. Globalization has allowed us to basically get our hands on the best Japan has to offer. As passionate anglers, we gravitate to bait builders that are equally as passionate about the products they put out, whether Japanese or American. Last time I checked Ken's website, 68 specials and 8" weedless are all sold out, and we all know about 3:16's hard baits. After a long week at work, when I finally get on the water, I'm thinking about putting fish in the boat, and getting my fix, regardless of whether the bait tied to the end of my line was made overseas or not.

I dont want this to go in a bad direction, i totally understand others points of views now. And Like i have said, hey do your thing, everyone is different. Some of my issue i guess is, the JDM co's have $$$ behind them for computer design of protos and large factorys to crack these new baits out, try them find what works best. The baits I see coming out of the USA from small swimbait makers, garage makers, who tune and create baits through trial and error, scrape gas money together to buy resin, can only produce small batches for limited anglers to test, the baits being developed by these guys are freaking incredible!!!! I mean for me, a choice between a slide swimmer and a Hiroshima glide or that new hinkle 11" glide... its not even close to a choice. Those two would be in my box in a heart beat just on looks alone, besides the fact that they have produced huge catches in a very very short time. I wish we could put this type of talent onto a larger platform of development, then i think it would be like "what the heck does JDM mean" :lol::lol: well thats what I think at least. I am only using those two bait makers as examples as they are well known and most guys in the swimbait world have seen or heard of the work they do. Large comapanys making baits in the usa are clueless it seems to the swimbait game, not enough money involved. I think its cool that Deps puts out limited quantities of baits like the bull shooter and shooter junior. Obviously there #1 concern isnt making a huge profit, developing a bait takes alot of time and cash, so for them to limit production shows me they are concerned with making the cusotmers happy and keeping the product line fresh. Thats super cool... maybe some of the GIANT USA companies can take some notes and start putting the fishermen first, not the $$, but... uhhh yeah right! that aint happening. this being said.. .i still am on that USA garage bait maker ish.... i just cant break that mindset, nor do I wish to

I don't understand the JDM craze you speak of?? I don't understand why someone would spend $400-$1000 on a JDM spinning reel, but I can understand $200-$400 for a JDM swimbait. I know the bullshooter and bulldozer are outrageous right now and limited release.....kinda reminds me of the 3:16 bluegills that sold for $250-300 right after their release :lol:

I totally respect your point of view though Ceaser, I just don't share it. My family is 50/50 Japanese/American and you are 100% American garage baitmaker so naturally we will disagree on this. If you do get the opportunity to visit Japan, try it out, you might fall in love with their culture like I did :D

BTW, just let me know when I can get some baits from you, still dying to try your wooden baits out here on the East Coast :D

Hey im glad, because I respect everyone elses point of view too. Maybe there isnt that much of a crazyness over the JDMS, it just seemed to me that every thing that has been coming out of Japan lately people are all over it. Guess maybe because its the best new stuff in some peoples opinion. I do have to admit, the glides that some smaller bait makers have been releasing, the actions really doesnt measure up to gancraft or deps, i really think the magnum gan craft is being over looked right now for the deps, the 248 or whatever the number size for the big one, that bait is a killer.

" and you are 100% American garage baitmaker " :D:D Why thank you sir! :lol: hell yeah! I actually love japanese culture, they share alot of the same views as me, bass fishing, graffiti art, hip hop, lots of dope b-boys from there. I just have a thing for hadn made american fishing lures I guess. Guess its more about getting my baits from person, not a corparation stamping out carbon copies with robots and ish... man Im all F'd up!

Travis your bait is re lipped and I have a 12" 3 piece waker that I was gonna send you a video of, maybe more your size! And there should be a batch of rats done at the end of the week, going on a 48 hr bait grind this weekend. gotta get some ish done! You'll have a selection to choose from my man, Ill FB you later today.

The JDM craze will never reach the heights of 3:16 hard bait releases.

i would beg to differ.

the clear advantage for 316, is they are in direct communication with the end consumer. the middle man has been removed, and shipping distances / delays are far reduced. the bottle neck for jdm baits are the wholesalers and with obvious reason their location.

i am unaware of how many baits are made available during a 316 release. i would be interested in seeing actual numbers. i am more familiar with the availability of certain jdm baits. most of the baits i pursue are sold (to both the vendor and end customer) even before they are manufactured from the originating company.

with obvious reasons numbers can be obscured to the benefit of each company. after all its marketing.

the fact that companies have now 'limited' their baits (not sure how much of this is true), have caused prices to virtually skyrocket - sometimes out of control for a given bait. all things created equal - i know some prices have increased, if not have doubled. i am aware of what it costs (material wise) for each bait to be produced, what i dont understand is the dramatic price increases. that being said, i would definitely pay more, as i understand the whole process of what it takes to get a bait made from start to finish. it absolutely takes alot of time and money to get to a final product.

usdm / jdm - i applaud all manufacturers, as they allow me to do what i love doing. they have also brought fishing to new heights.

my biggest peeve is seeing customers complain about pricing. swimbaits in general is an expensive hobby. if you arent willing to pay out what a bait is 'worth' i would suggest trying to make your own, or simply select another hobby.

*fyi - i own a select baits of both usdm and jdm

I love when people start pounding their chest about only buying American Made baits but they are fishing them on Japanese rods with Japanese reels and Japanese hardware. They got to the lake in a Japanese truck and have a Japanese trolling motor and Japanese motor. :D

I am all for supporting American products but I have no problem buying products from other countries, especially if the foreign companies product is superior or there is no domestic option. I certainly wouldn't buy an American TV :lol:

The craze you speak of is universal. It isn't JDM vs. USDM. Globalization has allowed us to basically get our hands on the best Japan has to offer. As passionate anglers, we gravitate to bait builders that are equally as passionate about the products they put out, whether Japanese or American. Last time I checked Ken's website, 68 specials and 8" weedless are all sold out, and we all know about 3:16's hard baits. After a long week at work, when I finally get on the water, I'm thinking about putting fish in the boat, and getting my fix, regardless of whether the bait tied to the end of my line was made overseas or not.

Well stated Dave!

I've been in Vegas for the last few days and missed out on all this. Until last Friday all my swimbaits were from American companies, but I ended up ordering a Roman Made South as I couldn't locate a 3:16 Gill. Honestly, I don't care where a bait comes from as long as it performs.

I love when people start pounding their chest about only buying American Made baits but they are fishing them on Japanese rods with Japanese reels and Japanese hardware. They got to the lake in a Japanese truck and have a Japanese trolling motor and Japanese motor. :D

I am all for supporting American products but I have no problem buying products from other countries, especially if the foreign companies product is superior or there is no domestic option. I certainly wouldn't buy an American TV :lol:

I'm glad you said this as I was thinking the same thing. We could all trade in our Daiwas and Shimanos for Ardents if the "buy American" thing was that big of a deal. As a full disclaimer if I won the lottery today I would be ordering a Megabass Black Jungle tomorrow