Rookie Mistakes

TmBtc12

Went fishing yesterday and was lucky enough to be there the same day trout were being planted and to be the only bass fisherman. I was throwing a savage gear line through when I got hammered.....only to have my reel pop out of the reel seat on the hook set....no fish :oops: I know that I tightened the reel when I put it on but maybe the force of casting large baits caused it to loosen up just enough to pop off? I guess I need to remember to check my reel seat from time to time.

I thought it would be funny to start a thread for all of us to share some rookie mistakes so we can have a laugh and to help avoid them in the future.

Gotta throw this up for GaBassin... a video of his reel coming off the seat, as well as a horrendous backlash. He made a long cast with the shellcracker and the fish must have been tracking it or something, she ate it the split second it touched the water. Michael didn't even hesitate, he swung into her HARD......before he engaged the reel from free spool :lol::lol::lol: I just told him to run away, I handlined her in, we ended up landed the toad! 8-) Here's the video, its around the 5:00 mark.

Went fishing yesterday and was lucky enough to be there the same day trout were being planted and to be the only bass fisherman. I was throwing a savage gear line through when I got hammered.....only to have my reel pop out of the reel seat on the hook set....no fish :oops: I know that I tightened the reel when I put it on but maybe the force of casting large baits caused it to loosen up just enough to pop off? I guess I need to remember to check my reel seat from time to time.

I thought it would be funny to start a thread for all of us to share some rookie mistakes so we can have a laugh and to help avoid them in the future.

Gotta throw this up for GaBassin... a video of his reel coming off the seat, as well as a horrendous backlash. He made a long cast with the shellcracker and the fish must have been tracking it or something, she ate it the split second it touched the water. Michael didn't even hesitate, he swung into her HARD......before he engaged the reel from free spool :lol::lol::lol: I just told him to run away, I handlined her in, we ended up landed the toad! 8-) Here's the video, its around the 5:00 mark.

Oh lord.... You forgot to mention I had a BBz stuck in my leg haha.

Oh lord.... You forgot to mention I had a BBz stuck in my leg haha.

That too. Owners in the leg, keep fishing. :lol:

When I first started throwing swimbaits I got a $50 bait stuck up in a tree that was hanging over the creek that for some reason I didn't see. I tried everything even thought about coming back with a chainsaw then I decided to climb the tree and when I was about half way there my iphone decided to take a swim luckily I ended up getting the bait back but my wife didn't care.

I'm enjoying reading all the stories.

I feel like my biggest mistakes have been:

-When in a yak or canoe not making sure everything was tied down or on a teather (lost a nice rod/ reel last year) not to mention various other things over the years

-Not making sure the batteries were well charged, and/or assuming I had "plenty of gas"

-Getting distracted and missing a strike

-Not bringing extra clothes or a poncho when the forecast clearly said rain or temp drop was possible

-

My friends and I were fishing Barrett Lake in San Diego on a windy day so we beached our aluminum rental boat. We pulled the boat up on shore and started fishing. About 10 mins later I looked up and our boat was drifting away.....it was about 50feet from the shore and too far away to reach so I casted out my drop shot rod, landed right in the boat and snagged it! I was able to slowly work the boat back to shore with my 6lb test. It was by far the catch of the day!!

My buddy had a 9" slammer snap off when casting parallel to the shoreline.... he took his shorts off and went to get it, as he reached down to pick it up it got nailed by a dink, caught a fish on the slammer with no line/rod or reel LOL

I was fishing one summer catching big spots and hybrids and they were blowing up. verywhere. I caught a couple and decided I needed to retie after I tied my bait checked the knot and clipped the tag end I threw the pliers over the side of the boat instead of my bait.

I did that exact same thing. My buddy saw me do it, he looks at me and said you idiot. And we both started laughing.