What’s with the demand for Varial handles ?

Steven C

Like Most things in the fishing industry it’s a rebranded product, happens with pliers, clothes, split rings, hooks etc. same product with a different logo and higher price tag.  It’s called private labeling in the industry (we do this at work with about 90% of the products we make) 

like stated above the DRT handles are made by Livre, which can be had for less than half the price of the DRT handles. 

the quality is great, and the ability to swap knobs/styles is nice 

I ran hawgtechs on most of my reels and switched over to the gomexus handles on pretty much everything. Great value for the $$ 

it’s personal preference 

if i was balling I’d probably have a bunch of DRT handles but I’d rather have more reels and rods and baits at the end of the day 

Never tried them. Don’t plan on it. I have zero issues with guys who run them or any other aftermarket handle. We all have different taste. I’m happy with the stock handles on my R Toro Beasts. If I thought I needed a larger handle or grips, I’d buy some. But I just don’t personally. I do think they look pretty cool though. I’m just so familiar with my reels that I can make bumps and chops without thinking about it. Just my .02

I like to use them not only to increase handle size and knobs but to identify my techniques. 
all my crankbait rods have silver. My swimbait rods have the 140-150mm 

jig rods are black. And my go to rods are gunmetal. 

13 hours ago, iFishLA said:

It all about the size. The smaller real handles speed up the Gear Ratio of your reel and the bigger the handle gets the slower the gear ratio. Best way I can explain it, but in my opinion it’s just a status symbol. They are ridiculously over priced. Your paying as much as you pay for some reels. I don’t think they are worth it IMO and I am a DRT Stan! Lol

Definitely does not slow the gear ratio down….same exact inches per turn. I think what you’re trying to get at is that in theory it will take you longer to complete a revolution given the larger circumference of the handles radius. But your talking about adding millimeters. So in practice this is a moot point. Dudes will try anything g to justify an unnecessary purchase lol.

to address ops question directly without anecdotal “that’s just how I do it and it works for me” comments. The 2 real advantages are length (for additional leverage…on a lmb….pshhh) and knob size which gives you a better purchase when wet etc. Neither of which are endemic to DRT handles. This is 100% marketing. They ARE of VERY high quality, the parts being very good machining and materials, fit and finish is top notch. However this still does not justify the DrT price as at the end of the day they are literally rebranded LIVRE handles with proprietary knobs. LIVRE handles while still quite pricey are about $100 less than the variable handles.

most “big bait” reels will come with a 100-102mm handle stock which is plenty. I believe the whole aftermarket handle thing blew up in Japan cause dudes often use conventional 150-200 size reels which often have 90mm handles stock. In this case the 100mm+ is a nice upgrade for winding bigger baits with more resistance. Dudes over here just like to show off shiny things.

Daiwa makes a great 100mm power handle for like $40, just don’t expect people to hype you up on your social media accounts.

shimano also just came out with some super oversized knobs that are similar to the drt fat knobs but fit on all handles not just LIVRE handles.

Edited by brootalititties

1 hour ago, brootalititties said:

Definitely does not slow the gear ratio down….same exact inches per turn. I think what you’re trying to get at is that in theory it will take you longer to complete a revolution given the larger circumference of the handles radius. But your talking about adding millimeters. So in practice this is a moot point. Dudes will try anything g to justify an unnecessary purchase lol

This is correct 

1 hour ago, brootalititties said:

shimano also just came out with some super oversized knobs that are similar to the drt fat knobs but fit on all handles not just LIVRE handles.

I had one of those handles before I bought a Varial for one of my reels, they’re pretty nice and those knobs are YUUUUGE haha