First high dollar bait

WaterWolf44

Got a 250, caught one fish on it and then lost it at the local lake. All of my 250s have been cast off at one point or another besides one. I currently have an OG OG first year production Biwa Masu in a pond, and another one in a pond but it's more easily retrievable, like for sure for sure.

• 9 months later...

My first was a xxl two piece nezuma rat. Out of all the all my expensive glides the best swimming one I've ever owned was a homemade 13 and half inch glide cost me nothing to build and there's nothing out there even comes close to the swim. 

I wish I still had it let my best friend use it while I was out work. He went to Tie on anther bait and some random dog at the small lake grabbed it and ran off with it.

Never found the dog, I hope it choked on it. This is the only pic I have of it took it apart to paint it.   

20200221_182618.jpg

On 12/12/2022 at 3:09 PM, basssavage24/7 said:

My first was a xxl two piece nezuma rat. Out of all the all my expensive glides the best swimming one I've ever owned was a homemade 13 and half inch glide cost me nothing to build and there's nothing out there even comes close to the swim. 

I wish I still had it let my best friend use it while I was out work. He went to Tie on anther bait and some random dog at the small lake grabbed it and ran off with it.

Never found the dog, I hope it choked on it. This is the only pic I have of it took it apart to paint it.   

20200221_182618.jpg

Incredible story

I remember 20 years ago that a high end bait was a 20.00 Lucky Craft or Megabass…..a lot of you kids aren’t even that old. Crazy how much has changed in bass fishing over the years. 

Grew up throwing paddle tail style “swimbaits” back in the late 80s early 90s in the SoCal saltwater scene. Big Hammers and this magical bait called a Wham or Wham-O….don’t quite remember. 

Moved to MN to go to school and when I came back to the West Coast heard about this guy Mike Shaw who lived and made his Slammers in Atascadero, CA at the time…..the same town I moved to. Lo and behold, my first freshwater swimbait was the good ol Slammer. It caught so many damn fish, hit rocks, went air born plenty of times (glad they float), and repainted many of times. That thing cost me like 35-40 bucks at the time and that was retail. Didn’t feel like spending that much on another, so got repainted when needed. Still have a bunch of Slammers and fish them on occasion.

When I first got on SU I was a little psycho trying to buy every new bait that hit the market plus multiples. That got old real quick, too much junk out that people hype up over social media. Get the baits in hand and wonder wtf are guys going nuts for over some of these things. Now I just fish the baits I have confidence in, and if it’s a winner…..I’ll buy more. 

Like others have said, expensive is a relative term. 20 years ago my 40 dollar Slammer was high end…..today my 200 dollar Hinkle Shad (what I paid for it) that can now fetch closer to 500 is considered high end. 

Gotta love it, we are a group that’s unlike but similar to many others out there. Whether it’s fishing lures, cars, comic books, baseball cards, or postage stamps that we collect…..it’s just fun to play the game. Our game is the best though, we get to tie our hard earned money on a piece of string, launch it into a puddle of water…..and hope something attacks it. Can’t do that with a comic book. :)

Sorry for the long novel, cool topic. 

K Byyyyyyyyyeeeeee

Edited by thebeardedbassman

• 1 month later...

Revitalizing this thread because I love this stuff.

My first "expensive" bait that I bought was a Sebile Magic Swimmer. I started off in the striped bass scene up here in MA/RI and got really involved in the custom plug scene. Sure there were the "big name" builders at the time - GRS, D-Mag, etc who sold lures at a price that made me gag - they were collectables. Sure people fished them, but I swore at the time it was only as a 'hey look at me I have something you don't have' type of one-upmanship. A pencil popper is a pencil popper. I had no problem spending $20 or $30 for a custom wood lure, but $45 for a piece of plastic with hooks? That was ludacris. But at the same time, the amount of BIG fish being caught on the magic swimmer were also ludacris, so I decided to pull the trigger and grab one. I gave up on the mantra that I had been taught by those who took me under their wing of "if it's not wood, it's not good" and bought the stupid piece of plastic.

New toy in hand I went down to the canal and there were birds and fish breaking out right in front of me and people hooked up left and right, I could hear the drags screaming. Guys with the right setups landing fish on topwater, and then guys using trout rods getting spooled. The blitz appeared to extend for a hundred yards either side of the access path. I was SO amped to catch a giant on this new bait that I loaded up the rod and heaved the magic swimmer out there - - - - -

- - - - - and completely forgot to open my bail and watched it sail off into oblivion. And just like this post, my first big bait experience came to an abrupt end.

My first REAL high dollar bait? A Toxic Whippersnapper in Toxic Gill that I was SO STOKED to get but was SO CONFUSED when there was a toothpick in the package and the tail wasn't attached. #n00b