Smaller than my last one

Jinxd12

While I was waiting for silicone mold making materials, and wore out from 7 days a week working I came up with this simple little bait.

Clean lines, 4.5" with no tail but a solid profile it could be a gill or a shad bait fish.

My Dremel broke today so need to get another one to clean up the joints, working with a razor blade and files isn't the same.

I used the Oomoo 30 for the mold it's way better than the alumilte in my opinion, but I don't have undercuts. Lines came out perfect in the mold.

Next one I pour I will change the joints I don't really like the look being able to see the hardware through the side.

What you guys think.

PXL_20220327_182354485.jpg

PXL_20220315_014455571.jpg

PXL_20220315_022953173.jpg

PXL_20220316_012759746.jpg

PXL_20220314_011711336.jpg

PXL_20220327_212707439.jpg

PXL_20220328_005346748.jpg

Tinkering with weights and joint types, definitely getting better. Semi erratic swim is awesome. 

Waiting for another fully cure with more microballons to try and make a sub surface runner.

I used the tail from a green leaf zig zag seems to swim 10x better with a softer tail. So will need to figure out soft resin tail options in the future.

Also alot smaller hooks, only thing I had on hand was st36 tiny klash hooks ha.

PXL_20220401_022508884.jpg

PXL_20220401_025622194.jpg

Been messing around with the bait some more. Probably annoying everyone I talk to with pics and videos and thoughts haha.

Obviously still tinkering, but it swims tight, can 360 if I try, and hovers on the pause. At 4.5" without the tail the profile should get bit in my tilapia/bluegill/ small shad ponds.

I didn't like the way the bait moved and ended up cutting a V joint and changing my resin/micro balloon ratio. Much better performance in swim and sink rates now.

I tried my first paint brush tail and the bait also changed action with the brush tail. Much better now.

Besides the few duds I have been tinkering with this bait will not cost much on materials. Just need to figure out how to replicate each bait so they swim the same and sink/float the same. 3oz of resin, 2 ounce micro balloons, 5 screw eyes and a .59 cent paint brush.

I'll perfect the brush tail, for now it works though. My scissors wouldn't cut the bristles to shape it. More tools needed.

I threw some paint on it today, the one skill I definitely do NOT have! But it's a color changing paint copper/green over a black base and Auto clear. Simple enough.

PXL_20220402_144807058.jpg

PXL_20220402_184826584.jpg

Edited by Jinxd12

There’s no one more annoying than me with my thread lol. I just keep posting progress and videos and I think it’s cool and wish other would share more progression of their baits. The good bad and ugly. That baits looks good and one thing I have learned is that it’s not always the fanciest or realistic baits that get it done. You get the profile and right action to achieve what you are trying to do then fish it in the right situations you might catch on to something and now your confidence bait is your own and that’s really cool. 

• 2 weeks later...

Got some more built, messing with making tails from brushes. Kind of a pain in the ass. Need to really order some product to make a proper tail.

Threw some paint at a few and I will be shipping some unpainted ones to a few people for some R&R. They are better at paint than me for sure.

If I have time this weekend I'll pick up some lexan and mess with lips for a crank down, along with using .72 hardware instead of .92. Just got my 5 gallons of microballons so now I can experiment with calculations to make it float after cranking down.

PXL_20220404_010654281.jpg

PXL_20220403_223601650.jpg

PXL_20220408_021835803.jpg

PXL_20220408_022453478.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Been tinkering a bit with the shad and the lil bait. Here is some progress pics.

Made a few baits to make a crank down but the tail wouldn't kick. So I just poured a bait with extra microballons and no weight at all on the mold. Went with the double screw eye joint and it swims correct.

I don't like the double screw eye joints so more to keeping to do to get it the way I like it.

Also want a deeper crank and I'm in the middle of testing a single piece 6-8 foot (crank bait I guess) maybe a big ass feathered treble on the back in the future?

Making a lip is a pain in the ass I now know why people just buy them. I prefer to try and build it to work from random stuff so I'm not just dumping money.

Few things I've learned...

Weight placement effects alot even if it's just moving around in the bait a little.

Smaller screw eyes bend easier when screwing them in.

Super glue doesn't dry fast enough!!

Cutting precise joints is a pain in the ass to replicate!!! 

Making baits is fun, and sorry for being annoying @chefchris, @BrierBob soon you will have a few!!

PXL_20220425_011821390.jpg

PXL_20220426_020107267.jpg

Edited by Jinxd12

• 2 weeks later...

Got this sucker into a pretty decent swimming crankdown after many try and fails.

Working with different tail options but landed a couple fish, and missed a 4# that bent my hooks out. Stupid testing hooks never again.

Swim is tight, but cranks down easily can be twitched/walks under water and bounciness bottom of local ponds 5-8ish feet. Super slow rise which is awesome for that pause bite.

I have made 3 of the same angled lips, but different joints one toxic style, one 22.5° and one 45°. Really don't like the open style joint that toxic uses but it obviously gets bit. All preference I suppose.

Once I have a tail option I'll send some to the homies for feedback.

PXL_20220506_224842863.jpg

PXL_20220507_030122965.jpg

14 hours ago, Jinxd12 said:

Still cleaning up the lines and messing with paint. Lil purple/chrome/Pontiac blue

PXL_20220509_005451213.jpg

Looking great man. Been cool sort of being part of the project as you build, makes me want to get back to it once I get the garage in order 

10 hours ago, chefchris said:

Looking great man. Been cool sort of being part of the project as you build, makes me want to get back to it once I get the garage in order 

Get some fish on the boat first! Appreciate the care package!!