Good baits to get started out with?

fishermanx14

dang thanks for all the feedback everyone. one more thing, is it best to tie straight to the bait or use a snap/swivel?

As a general rule, I use a split ring if the bait has a bill and tie directly if it doesn't. the only exception is that I also use a ring on glides.

Hey guys, just got my self a halfway decent setup and i still have about 100 bucks to spend. The only swimabits i have really fished are the hudd and the bbz. Looking to get deeper into the world of swimabits but i cant decide what to get...to many choices :lol: 3-8oz prefreably...

Thanks for anyone who replies,

Christian

Get a slammer about $30 bucks and for a awesome inexpensive glide get a river2sea s waver $16 bucks On TW get a $50 morning wood rat at last chance for a grand total of $96 bucks should cover most bases!

dang thanks for all the feedback everyone. one more thing, is it best to tie straight to the bait or use a snap/swivel?

As a general rule, I use a split ring if the bait has a bill and tie directly if it doesn't. the only exception is that I also use a ring on glides.

Do you seem to get better action with a ring on a glide? I usually tie right on my slammers I tie right on my morning woods get a clip

i'd get a 7" or 9" slammer depending on where you're from. I'd pick up s-waver also. if you're just getting into things keep an eye on the black market, lots of guys trying to sell right now and not a whole lot of guys buying stuff!

8'' hudd rof 5-12 25$

7''-9'' slammer 30-50$ check the black market

6''-7'' Osprey 20$

some glide- cheapest being the s-waver 15$ ish

Thats pretty much all you need, and realistically all I use anymore LOL.

Of course thats super generalized, situations might call for variations namely being triple trout's, wake jr's, rising sons, mission fish, trash fish etc.... But that that point they are just really similar alternatives to the above listed baits that ABSOLUTELY can out produce the above listed, but for me the difference is usually minimal.

Lots of good baits mentioned! Can't say enough about the 7" & 9" slammer! Recently started throwing mine again and in two trips I've landed 5+ fish each trip with a 14+lb limit the first trip and a 17+lb limit the next trip. Not amazing by no means but when they're not biting anything else, I'll take it ;)

The triple trouts are also great baits to pick up. I use them more as a situational bait though. I rarely throw mine unless the wind is blowing decent with the exception of the 8" cut tail. That 8" cut tail is a very underrated bait IMO. If you have bigger shad near you, you can reel the bait fast on top of the water and that tail slings water everywhere , mimicking a fleeing shad spot on! Good luck :D

Lots of good baits mentioned! Can't say enough about the 7" & 9" slammer! Recently started throwing mine again and in two trips I've landed 5+ fish each trip with a 14+lb limit the first trip and a 17+lb limit the next trip. Not amazing by no means but when they're not biting anything else, I'll take it ;)

The triple trouts are also great baits to pick up. I use them more as a situational bait though. I rarely throw mine unless the wind is blowing decent with the exception of the 8" cut tail. That 8" cut tail is a very underrated bait IMO. If you have bigger shad near you, you can reel the bait fast on top of the water and that tail slings water everywhere , mimicking a fleeing shad spot on! Good luck :D

Thanks for the review on the cut tail, I've always been curious about that bait.

• 3 weeks later...

In all honesty, to get started I would recommend a couple baits... First off some time of Gill, like a Shellcracker or Pizz Custom Beast Gill. 6" Lunker Punker and/or 7" MS Slammer. ROF 0-12 Hudds depending on the depth your fishing. Baby Wake/Jr & maybe a couple Osprey softies. That seems to be a standard default. From there you can see what suits your style and where you want to go from there.

If I lost all my tackle and had to get started again with about $100 tomorrow, I'd get the following:

MS slammer -- Topwater covered

Cl8 Clacker -- Just got on this bait this year, and its been my most productive bait. Good price too.

High power herring OR Matt lures hard gill/baby hard gill (depending on dominant forage in lakes I'm fishing)

Those three will run a little over 100. Size and colors pending on waters. If I had more to play with, I might consider a TT in place of the clacker.