Night fishing tips

pumaftd

I’m new to swim baiting & with my job it’s difficult to find time to get much day fishing in. Do they eat big glides after dark? Do I need to throw a black one or will a normal pattern work? Thanks!

Edited by pumaftd

I’d suggest doing a search for night fishing approaches and techniques - lots of great info on SU. Swimbo did a really good video on it back in the day - if you can find that it is money.

Glides do work at night but you’ll probably get faster action with wakes and crankdowns. Big soft swimbaits like Hudds and RS also will score at night.

My night fishing insights 

def as others have said wakes, cranks and bigger soft baits.  If I was going to throw glides I’d def be throwing bigger ones to move water - my Friend @Stepp_Outdoors from IG throws big glides at night as u can see from the pic they work. 

I’d def be throwing bigger multi piece rats as well 

Do some day time recon to make sure you know waters and surrounding areas well. 

have a decent headlamp and have fun. 

87815A2F-DC2B-48B8-8D83-E112FD25D113.png

I find crawlers to be the best bait at night. I go for wood baits because with plastic the tinny clicking and clacking reduces the number of bites i get. Fish shallow, more shallow than you might expect. Don’t need to fish as close to cover. 

Edited by japanesebassman

@japanesebassman is spot on about fishing shallow. A lot of my night bites come in less than 1 ft of water paralleling bank or over shallow flats and backs of coves. My favorite night baits are a the black spro 50 rat, Bullshad wake, megabass I wing and g2 shellcracker. The bass will tell you what retrieve speed they want

Get there first.. Fish the banks before you walk up.  Do not turn on your light unless its over 5lb.  No talking.  If using a wake bait, make duplicate casts.  Fish 1 cadence until you know it is not working.  Target weeded area's or large submerged weed beds. 

Edited by SacPig916

19 hours ago, Jim137a said:

My night fishing insights 

Do some day time recon to make sure you know waters and surrounding areas well. 

have a decent headlamp and have fun. 

87815A2F-DC2B-48B8-8D83-E112FD25D113.png

This is key - you want to know the place before you’re out there after dark, both in terms of identifying good spots but also from a safety standpoint. Make sure someone knows where you’re going and when you plan to get back.

If you change your plans during the trip (e.g. the bite is too good to leave or you head to a different spot), make sure you let your contact know to avoid potential concern or panic.

Edited by FishDr

• 3 weeks later...