Fresh hooks

BASS_SWINGER

2 hours ago, BASS_SWINGER said:

Anyone out there change there hooks out on their heavily fished  baits at the end of the year? Went over baits I fished today and swapped hooks out wasn’t like they weren’t fishable or bad but I could tell they were used am I the only one who thinks it’s worth it

Yeah man, I change out trebles when they start to be noticeably worn, even if others may think that there's plenty of life left in them. 

2 hours ago, Swimb8ting_TheSouth said:

I like to sharpen my hooks 2-3 times before I swap to a fresh pair. 

Depending on your hook selection, you may be doing yourself a disservice. Most hooks that are chemically sharpened from the factory do not take well to a hook sharpener.

8 hours ago, chevro1et said:

Depending on your hook selection, you may be doing yourself a disservice. Most hooks that are chemically sharpened from the factory do not take well to a hook sharpener.

52 minutes ago, BASS_SWINGER said:

I don’t think you can even effectively resharpen owner and most gammis the wire is too hard

I’ve never had a problem with sharpening. Ive sharpened decoys and gamies. I understand that there is a coating on the hooks but if you gently sharpen it shouldn’t be a problem. For me it’s a thing i like to do when I’m bored lol. 

I switch em out after a bunch of solids or after a fish over 6-7 lbs I switch them right away. Also most of the lighter wire hooks seem to need replacing after 4-6 fish either the points are rolled or they are weakened but I usually stick with 3x if possible. Only ones I haven’t bent out are the bkk vipers but those are 4x lol 

Buy Swimbait, use pliers to remove trebles, walk to trash can and throw trebles in trash, use same pliers to put on ryugi pierce double hooks. Go fishing without having to worry about fish getting off and gut hooking them in the eyeballs.