FOR ALL OF THOSE WHO THROW CXX

Burningeightsanarchy

Alright guys. So I’ve read previous posts from people about line choice with fishing glides…deps 250. Chad shad. Etc etc 

currently I use 20lb pline cxx. I absolutely love this line. But no matter what I have tied on my bait does not stay down deep where I want it. I seen so many people say they throw cxx for EVERYTHING. And I really just don’t see how it’s possible. Are you guys adding a bunch of weight to your baits or how tf are you going about it? 

personally I hate flouro. Have had too many cast offs and I’m not trying to lose a 200$ swimbait bec of line breaking. If I were to decide to go back to flouro. What’s a good line everyone is using. Idc about the price tag. I’ve had bad luck with multiple dif brands. 

any help is greatly appreciated. 

Thank SU 

Edited by Burningeightsanarchy

I use fc sniper 20# only tie a palomar knot on all my big baits never have any thrown off only did with braid when it would wrap tight mid cast stop all of a sudden snap off when tying palomar just make sure lines dont cross and wett during cinch i will use pline halo if out of fcsniper no issues there either I throw 10 oz baits no problem

I’ve fished baits down 20-30 feet on CXX, if I need my bait deeper I just add some suspend strips or zappu board weights. A lot of guys use grenade weights. Glides aren’t typically designed to fish deep so you need to add some weight on the front end of the bait if you want it to get down and stay down. 

I use AbrazX, got a bulk spool on amazon for below retail. It’s not going to make a huge difference in depth achieved though and I’ve found that I typically get a wider glide using copoly because the slower the sink the wider the bait will glide out. 

Edited by Jerkbait22

I use 25lb Abrazx for just about everything and have had zero cast offs. I use a San Diego jam knot for everything except my line thrus. It's diameter is still less than 20lb CXX and it's ridiculously strong. Bulk spools go on sale often at Amazon for over $100. 

I still use CXX 20lb for wakes/rats and anything I need to keep over grass. I found that it's pretty hard to get that line to sink. Even if you add weight it seems like only a few feet after the bait sinks and the rest just floats. 

Palomar on any flouro is a risk in my opinion. I’ve been tying the double pitzen with my flouro for the last few years and haven’t had a single cast off. Just a thought :-D

Never used CXX, only usually throw braid and Izorline, but just figured I’d throw that knot recommendation in for you flouro guys!

#25 abraz for baits like a Deps 250 if you really need fluoro. I'm not sure what your definition of deep is though. I've usually used #20 big game to fish the Deps 250 down to maybe 12-20 feet at most. I think the bait's heavy enough for you to bomb it far out enough so that it stays down on a slow and constant retrieve. I like #20 Inviz with the lighter slow sink and XSS glides in the 3 oz range. I've always tied a palomar knot for anything under #20 whether that's mono or fluoro but I almost always go with a San Diego Jam knot for anything heavier or whenever its clear that the fluoro isn't cinching down smoothly and properly. 

Not too picky on line I like sea guard and FC but if you’re having so many cast offs it’s more likely the knot you’re using. I use the double loop knot 99 percent of the time. Have flipped slot snook up bridges on 30lb sea guard fluro and countless bass over 5lbs on their 20lb fluro. it’s a knot with a very close breaking strength to what ever lb line you’re using also acts like a snap clip Bc it allows the bait a free range of motion that you can decide by the tag length. Anyways hope this helps bro I know the gut wrenching feeling of your line snapping is pain no man should endure. 

Try a few different sizes of grenade sinkers from .9 to 2.5 grams - they snap on and off pretty easily, are reusable and you can make fine adjustments on the fly for the conditions 

https://www.varivas.fishing/product/tg-grenade-sinker-qcs/

On 2/26/2023 at 9:30 AM, Burningeightsanarchy said:

Alright guys. So I’ve read previous posts from people about line choice with fishing glides…deps 250. Chad shad. Etc etc 

currently I use 20lb pline cxx. I absolutely love this line. But no matter what I have tied on my bait does not stay down deep where I want it. I seen so many people say they throw cxx for EVERYTHING. And I really just don’t see how it’s possible. Are you guys adding a bunch of weight to your baits or how tf are you going about it? 

personally I hate flouro. Have had too many cast offs and I’m not trying to lose a 200$ swimbait bec of line breaking. If I were to decide to go back to flouro. What’s a good line everyone is using. Idc about the price tag. I’ve had bad luck with multiple dif brands. 

any help is greatly appreciated. 

Thank SU 

I don’t personally throw cxx (I throw almost exclusively abrazx/invizx 20lb) but I’m pretty sure the line diameter is significantly bigger than most standard flouro of equal test value which doesn’t help either. Yes the density of the line keeps it from sinking but even with flouro you often have to downsize line to reach greater depth with reaction baits like cranks/jerks/swims. Probably still not gonna solve the problem for you but it may be a contributing factor. When I do use mono I like defier and defier armillo because it has a very thin diameter, I believe it was specifically designed for cranking.

Edited by brootalititties

1 hour ago, ZachThomas said:

I use izor xxx line but I’m also not fishing deep, so my comment is irrelevant

Not really - I fish izorline for a few reasons

its reliable, super affordable, casts well,  definitely minimizes snap off. 

I don't fish deep either ( I fish the surface to 2’ down ) as I love glides and jerks BUT theres certain situations where I want my bait to go just a touch deeper quicker than normal - a bank that has a super steep drop off, a lay down that’s submerged 3 to 4’, on super windy days - those are a few instances where I’ll snap on a grenade weight to make a slight depth adjustment 

Not sure why I can’t edit my post but I meant to say I primarily throw wakes and glides not jerks 

the other reason I like izorline is because it’s so affordable I can change it after every few trips. 

I spool my reel up with braid - make a bomb cast and cut that length of braid off then tie on my izorline and fill the spool - basically a top shot. When I have to change lines it only takes a minute to 2 as I’m only cutting off a the copoly.