Snapped off lures and the fish they hang on to

BittyRanger

My fishing friend is brand new to swimbaiting, i gave him a baby bull shad this morning and he reels into a fish, he snaps off said lure trying get the fish on the bank. Said fish jumps 20 seconds later trying to expel the bait from its lips. This left me wondering if that fish is going to die. What do you guys think. 

15 minutes ago, B_larkin3 said:

If it inhaled the bait yes, it will probably die. If it’s hooked on the outer part of its mouth it should probably be able to shake the bait eventually. I’ve caught fish with crank baits stuck on their lips so it’s not a death sentence. 

Awesome. He definitely hooked it in the side so it’s relieving to know that. Man I feel so bad when that happens. 

• 2 weeks later...

Caught a bass somewhere around 8-10 years ago. Noticed something odd sticking out of its anus. I slowly began pulling and what emerged was a very rusty 4/0 worm hook. One of those things I wouldn’t have believed if it hadn’t happened to me. I’ve also heard numerous pros talk about gut hooked bass on crankbaits. Some cut the split ring off while others left the crank in their throat only to find the bait floating in the livewell when they went to get the bass for the weigh in or found the cut off hook in the bottom of the livewell afterwards. Some I took with a grain of salt. But I’ve heard the same 3 stories about 3 bass that did this in one way or another from Larry Nixon numerous times since 2001. He’s always been one of the most honest anglers I had the pleasure of knowing for many years when I fished tournaments full time. But there’s generally significantly larger hooks on swimbaits as well as much more weight compared to conventional baits. So I honestly don’t know if a bass could survive with a swimbait hooked inside the mouth. I’m guessing no. But I also would have never thought a bass could swallow a 4/0 worm hook and live. Certainly never even considered it could pass it over time. Bass defy logic sometimes.