gear ratio thoughts

banks customs

If you look at the inches of line per turn, there's about five inches difference between the two (23.3/28.8). That makes the 6.3 about 24% faster if they are cranked at the same speed. If it's mainly for Hudds, and glides go low.

I have a hard time reeling some baits slowly enough, so I favor the lowest ratio I can get. But, the reality is that, unless you are really impatient like me, you won't have any issues cranking slowly enough with the 6.3.

On the other hand, if you fish baits like the Punker, the lower ratio is going to work against you. It comes down to the type of baits you are going to throw with it and what your personal preference is.

For what it's worth, I have one in the 6.3 and I consider it a good all-around gear ratio. I have to force myself to really slow down with Hudds but if I need to, I can work a Punker pretty fast with it. Covers the range pretty well.

I have both a 5.4:1 and a 7.1:1 and one of the best tips I've gotten is do a count between the full turn of the reel handle. It slows me down when I think I'm impatient and does the trick no matter what ratio reel. You can real condition yourself that way especially when you think your rushing it!!! Best all around is the 6.4:1 thou, but I still use that tip for all ratios now because I have a habit of rushing!!! ;)

I like a 5:1 also. I can speed it up as necessary for different baits but find that I have a hard time slowing down with a faster reel.

same here. thats why i have a 5.1:1 reel, 6.4:1 reel, and a 7.2:1 reel. it covers all of the bases...

I have lost fish with slower reels because I couldn't catch up to get the hooks set well enough or keep the bend in the rod. I use 6.3:1 and above in most situations. I also like to give even really slow retrieves short little bursts of speed with half reel turns to trigger strikes and that's so much easier with faster reels.