Recent Scammers

Seems like there have been some scammers lately. There have been 2 types

1. Long time members with good reputations from previous transactions. These guys are posting baits only taking PayPal friends and family and selling the same bait multiple times and never sending it to anybody. 

2. New members answering WTB ads via PM saying their friend is selling please send them the money. (we have disabled PMs for new members as a result)

SOLUTION:

PAY WITH GOODS AND SERVICES ONLY.

Any ads posted saying friends and family only will be deleted no matter how long the member has been here.

How do new users send private messages to members to purchase baits now that it’s disabled?

I assume we would have to reply on the main thread but most members selling baits ask for a private message in order to negotiate the sale. 

1 hour ago, swimbaitunderground said:

Seems like there have been some scammers lately. There have been 2 types

1. Long time members with good reputations from previous transactions. These guys are posting baits only taking PayPal friends and family and selling the same bait multiple times and never sending it to anybody. 

2. New members answering WTB ads via PM saying their friend is selling please send them the money. (we have disabled PMs for new members as a result)

SOLUTION:

PAY WITH GOODS AND SERVICES ONLY.

Any ads posted saying friends and family only will be deleted no matter how long the member has been here.

So how are new users supposed to send PM's? I understand trying to thin out the scammers but doesn't make sense for guys selling to be able to put PM me for price. If users "New" users cannot send PM's then the price should be posted for everyone to see and be able to purchase the item through the comments.. 

1 hour ago, Chris V said:

How do new users send private messages to members to purchase baits now that it’s disabled?

I assume we would have to reply on the main thread but most members selling baits ask for a private message in order to negotiate the sale. 

41 minutes ago, Josh Short said:

So how are new users supposed to send PM's? I understand trying to thin out the scammers but doesn't make sense for guys selling to be able to put PM me for price. If users "New" users cannot send PM's then the price should be posted for everyone to see and be able to purchase the item through the comments.. 

Gentlemen, I think the goal is for new members to  become an active member within the S.U. Community, an establish themselves as a member and then be granted your P/M privileges. 
This is not a e-commerce site. This is a community of swimbait enthusiasts. Fortunately, it does offer a “Black Market” where you can buy, sell and trade at your own risk.  
Personally I think a new member should earn a defined amount of “Reputation Points”, showing they are an active member before being granted access to Buy, Sell & Trade here. It helps protect both new members and establish members. 

My recommendation : sit back, get involved, get established and partake in what is offered to you. Trust me, all good thing  come to those who wait. 

Cheers & Tight Lines Everyone. 

Edited by Mossyback Angler

37 minutes ago, Josh Short said:

They don't. I don't see a problem with this. It'll help take you from "new member" to member if you're actively participating in the forum before jumping straight to the black market. There are (or were I guess this day and age) many forums that have/had similar rules in place, if you wanted to participate in B/S/T sections or PM other members you were publicly vetted for a period TBD by moderators. JZXproject, Zilvia.net, JNC, NASIOC and several now defunct forums all come to mind. 

If you're only here to buy/sell baits, go to Ebay

Edited by SockeyeSteve

Just now, Mossyback Angler said:

Gentlemen, I think the goal is for new members to  become an active member within the S.U. Community, an establish themselves as a member and then be granted your P/M privileges. 
This is not a e-commerce site. This is a community of swimbait enthusiasts. Fortunately, it does offer a “Black Market” where you can buy, sell and trade at your own risk.  
Personally I think a new member should earn a defined amount of “Reputation Points”, showing they are an active member before being granted access to Buy, Sell & Trade here. It helps protect both new members and establish members. 

My record: sit back, get involved, get established and partake in what is offered to you. Trust me, all good thing lags come to those who wait. 

Ahh come on now that is some BS.. Are we democrats here or what? a guy or gal should not have to "prove" themselves to people that have been on this site since the dawn of man. How you expect newcomers to get invested if they cannot PM people when literally EVERYONE SAYS TO PM THEM! I mean come on now.. 

9 minutes ago, Mossyback Angler said:

My recommendation : sit back, get involved, get established and partake in what is offered to you. Trust me, all good thing lags come to those who wait. 

Been saying this forever. Should have to be a member for 60 days and have x number of post in the forums before being able to access the black market

12 minutes ago, Mossyback Angler said:

My recommendation : sit back, get involved, get established and partake in what is offered to you. Trust me, all good thing lags come to those who wait. 

This is the correct answer. Maybe ask some people some questions or post some got ‘em catches to get your name out there, people will remember you and that’s called establishing a reputation, just like real life, you don’t just walk in the door and start swinging your dick around when you start a new job right? Same idea.

14 minutes ago, brootalititties said:

just like real life, you don’t just walk in the door and start swinging your dick around when you start a new job right? Same idea.

That's how I found my wife actually 

38 minutes ago, Josh Short said:

Ahh come on now that is some BS.. Are we democrats here or what? a guy or gal should not have to "prove" themselves to people that have been on this site since the dawn of man. How you expect newcomers to get invested if they cannot PM people when literally EVERYONE SAYS TO PM THEM! I mean come on now.. 

I’m a registered “Independent” and free thinker, so no, we are all not “Democrats”. 

I think you missed the point I was trying to convey. I guess I came here for a totally different reason than you did. I’ll keep enjoying the benefits and camaraderie that have come to me from being an active established member.

You keep on being you.

All I’m gonna say about the subject. 

Edited by Mossyback Angler

7 minutes ago, Mossyback Angler said:

I’m a registered “Independent” and free thinker, so no, we are all not “Democrats”. 

I think you missed the point I was trying to convey. I guess I came here for a totally different reason than you did. I’ll keep enjoying the benefits and camaraderie that have come to me from being an active established member.

You keep on being you.

All I’m gonna say about the subject. 

EVERYONE came here for a different reason 10 years ago than they do now….