Pond Hawg—6” gill

Swimb8ting_TheSouth

Started the carving a while back but finally got around molding it this week. Made this the bait for the intention to fished in the local ponds. These ponds are loaded with gills so I went with the gill profile. For the first bait I made a wake, wakes tend to be easier to make, so I got a good action on the first try and got bit on it but it had my test tank hooks on so I didn't hook the fish lol. I’m gonna make a few adjustments and go out and test again. I’m gonna have to start practicing my gill paints soon because my bluegill paint sucks

IMG_3282.jpeg

IMG_3382.jpeg

Thank you everyone for the positive feedback, hopefully I can paint something up soon. 

2 hours ago, Process77 said:

I love seeing that little air bubble above the eye undercut. Seeing someone with this much talent have a similar flaw makes me feel better about my own molds. 

Getting that little air bubble out of there is something I'm still trying to fix. I have vents near the eye but it always ends up having a bubble lol. It's all part of the process.

10 hours ago, danthefisherman said:

I keep coming back to this thread… love how your carving style is so recognizable even without the logo. That master in the first pic looks so good, please make it into a glide ;)

Thanks, I try to follow the same carving process from my other baits. And yea, I’m gonna make it into a glide too. Hopefully it has a nice action.

IMG_3280.jpeg

Edited by Swimb8ting_TheSouth

On 10/25/2023 at 11:41 AM, Swimb8ting_TheSouth said:

Thank you everyone for the positive feedback, hopefully I can paint something up soon. 

Getting that little air bubble out of there is something I'm still trying to fix. I have vents near the eye but it always ends up having a bubble lol. It's all part of the process.

I have found that I have to put a vent sprue right at the edge of the undercuts. Makes for a a bit of a clean up on every bait but i'm not mass producing anything so not so bad. Also bondo lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Here’s my first bluegill paint in a long time. Like I mentioned I suck at painting gills but I still enjoyed it. Hopefully the next one better but for now this should bet bit. Glide next ;) 

IMG_3476.jpeg

13 hours ago, Swimb8ting_TheSouth said:

Here’s my first bluegill paint in a long time. Like I mentioned I suck at painting gills but I still enjoyed it. Hopefully the next one better but for now this should bet bit. Glide next ;) 

IMG_3476.jpeg

Crazy man, looks like an ABS production bait. You made resin look transparent. Killer!

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got around to making the glide. For the first test it’s swimming alright, chops really well should be a good bait close to cover. I feel like most gill baits are fished next to cover so they really don’t need a super wide glide. How do y’all like to fish y’all’s gill glides?  Wide glide or choppy? 
ps: it’s not uploading the swim vid idk why 

Edited by Swimb8ting_TheSouth

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...