Over saturation of swimbaits and 3:16 lures.

TheGoodCat

I guess I should have thought more about this subject than I did. The point I was trying to get at is the overall abundance of swimbaits on the market has affected the demand of some lures. More selection, less demand?

supply is supply, and demand is demand. the price of a bait (on the black/grey market) is where supply intersects demand in a supply-demand model. the only way a supply increase creates a downward effect on demand is when it shoos away the flipper, but that effect is prob fairly marginal.

however, when supply increases and demand stays the same, then price drops. it's one of the rules of marcoecon.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bottom line if your patient you can get it at a fair price. Allot of people rush out thinking something is the golden ticket to success/big fish, but you still need a skill level, knowledge and right equipment to use the bait, otherwise they'll lose it or get discouraged and end up selling it :!:

Not quite sure you can make a blanket statement and say that if baits are being sold, they're not producing. Plenty of Deps 250's with the letters WTS in front of them in the Black Market. Awful lot of Hudds on there too. I wouldn't say either of these don't produce. Everyone's got they're own reason for selling. Some Genuine, Some not.

Of course guys will sell baits to make a profit, but that is usually when the baits are at their premium and everybody is trying to get them. Once the hype dies down Guys rarely sell baits that have produced for them. Yes you do see Hudds for sale but you must consider how many have actually been sold. There are possibly hundreds of thousands of Hudds that have been sold so your going to see some for sale but it is a very small percentage of the amount of Hudds that are actually out there. I also know that there have been times where bait makers are directly behind the flipping of baits or they have ebay auctions where they and their friends bid a bait up to create hype. Then they put on a show and act mad at the flippers, its well planned marketing. Controlling flipping is not hard to do. When my 13in Dead twitch were being flipped I allowed a pre order list and It stopped guys from buying the flipped baits. If customers know they will get there bait within a reasonable amount of time they will gladly pay retail and wait a few weeks instead of paying 5X to get a bait now.

My point is when a bait gets bites, especially big bites it will continue to be in demand even if there is a large supply. If a bait is not a great producer the way to keep the demand up is to keep the supply down and create hype with auctions, flipping, etc. There are always exceptions and some baits produce for some and not others. I am just making observations on what I have seen in the market place over the last 10 years. I have seen a lot of baits hyped up. I have seen a lot of baits come and go. I have also seen a some older baits stay relevant.

I hope the 3:16 baits get easier to get for I have been 3 years just trying to buy a 6" FS Shad with no luck. By the time I get to the site everything is sold out. It never fails when there have been hints of when the sale will take place I always have a heavy surgery schedule and I am not around a computer.

Great post Matt. You really hit the nail on the head. To me great baits remain great baits because of consistency and attention to detail. When a bait maker creates a lure, tests it, tweaks it, tests it, tweaks it, and so on and so on.......and then can consistantly reproduce the final product, it shows the signs of a good maker and a good bait. If you look at the market and the consistant top baits over the years, its all consistancy and attention to detail.

A lot of baits come and go!

They might have just tried to test the market and see what the demand is first. I see that a lot with Japan companies, they release a couple of baits and see what does better then they flood the market and stop making them. What they are trying to do is set the market, so that they will see a constant demand for baits.

My point is when a bait gets bites, especially big bites it will continue to be in demand even if there is a large supply.

i am guilty of paying hyped prices for a few baits but they produced and i have had some amazing days on the lake recently....im ok with the trade off....i wanna catch fish,BIG FISH and i willing to do what it takes to get those bites...not saying that i could have not paid hype prices for some other baits and got the job done all im trying to say is that i wanna catch BIG fish and thats all that matters

I cant wait to catch my first TOAD on my MattLures twitch!!!! OH yEAH!!!!! 8-)

Good baits are always in demand. Hudds, Matts, 3:16's, Deps can all be hard to come by because they catch fish. There are times when baits popularity/hype goes through the roof for whatever reason and prices follow. The hudd 68's were prices when sky high, the dead twich was, mickey's freestyles, Deps 250's and Bullshooters. That is going to happen and I don't see that ever changing. Prices do come down though.

Also, if you want guys like Matt, Ken, and Mickey to keep making baits themselves in their own shops then there will be shortages. They simply won't be able to match demand. Freestyle shads are hard to get but so are Matt's gills, particularily the 2 peice gills.

I do applaud Matt for trying to cut down on the flipping when the dead twich first came out and Mickey had several preorders with the goal of cutting the prices on baby wakes and wake juniors and 8" freestyles.

There are tons of other swimbait companies out there these days. Some good and some definitelly not too good. You don't HAVE to have the "in" bait, but there are baits out there that are just good. Be patient and get one when you can. That's my 2 cents