Cold Water Cranking?

justintrask

On 12/1/2023 at 12:25 PM, chefchris said:

I go with a DRT TK and deadwalk it, crank it down, twitch, etc, have gotten bit cranking it and pausing it, burn pause etc. such a fun wait to fish in spring and fall, i added some lead tape to the hook shanks or use the grenade weights. 

Yea I rigged a couple to perfectly suspend and you can fish them just like a jerkbait.

If you want to talk swimbait sized lipless cranks I've got a line up of killer baits I could tell you about. 

As for forum friendly "swimbaits", the nekosogi DSR is a killer bait that I've got a hoard of. It's like the Huddleston tail of lipped baits, no matter how slow you crank, it keeps on moving. You can crank it down pretty deep and tick bottom at a crawling pace without it floating up like most lipped baits. 

14 minutes ago, Jon P said:

If you want to talk swimbait sized lipless cranks I've got a line up of killer baits I could tell you about. 

As for forum friendly "swimbaits", the nekosogi DSR is a killer bait that I've got a hoard of. It's like the Huddleston tail of lipped baits, no matter how slow you crank, it keeps on moving. You can crank it down pretty deep and tick bottom at a crawling pace without it floating up like most lipped baits. 

thats the sort of thing im thinking of here, both swimbait size lipless or working something like say a bugrock crank similar to how you would speed cranking. The homewrecker is what really got me thinking and piqued my interest for how I could transform conventional winter tactics to my quasi-big bait mentality this winter if we keep open water

55 minutes ago, Bsampson said:

When you guys are talking the suspending jerkbait style, are you guys in deep or shallow water lakes?

That would really be either. With the short lip, you're good to 3 feet or so, original lip, 6 or so, if I recall correctly.

15 hours ago, bassturds said:

Really?  Why?? 

Dunno. I was eyewitness to the effectiveness of one during an early spring two fish torney in 43 degree water years ago. My boater lost the biggest sm I have ever seen. He had several other strikes and got another into boat. I thought no way that lure is getting bit.

PS. Normally I would blame myself as net man for not netting it right. A fish lost at net is assumed to be fault of netter imo. But he had an arthritis attack on his hands after he hooked it. When that ended, and he was able to reel again, he thought it had snagged him on bottom. When thing realized it was hooked it shot to the surface like a maniac, head shook the stock hooks, and jumped over the net. 

Edited by bigpoppabass

21 minutes ago, bigpoppabass said:

Dunno. I was eyewitness to the effectiveness of one during an early spring two fish torney in 43 degree water years ago. My boater lost the biggest sm I have ever seen. He had several other strikes and got another into boat. I thought no way that lure is getting bit.

PS. Normally I would blame myself as net man for not netting it right. A fish lost at net is assumed to be fault of netter imo. But he had an arthritis attack on his hands after he hooked it. When that ended, and he was able to reel again, he thought it had snagged him on bottom. When thing realized it was hooked it shot to the surface like a maniac, head shook the stock hooks, and jumped over the net. 

WOW that’s wild! I guess I gotta look into it! 

Now on the opposite side of things here - thinking conventional/finesse style for winter fishing where I would cast a ned and just slowly work it back, slightly bounce it, or just deadstick it.

Has anyone tried adding grenade weights or lead tape to the nose of a non-lipped swimmer - say a flea shad or a 316 freestyle - and made it nose-heavy enough to sink and stand upright in sandy or rocky bottoms? Maybe remove the front hook to prevent snags?

7 hours ago, justintrask said:

Now on the opposite side of things here - thinking conventional/finesse style for winter fishing where I would cast a ned and just slowly work it back, slightly bounce it, or just deadstick it.

Has anyone tried adding grenade weights or lead tape to the nose of a non-lipped swimmer - say a flea shad or a 316 freestyle - and made it nose-heavy enough to sink and stand upright in sandy or rocky bottoms? Maybe remove the front hook to prevent snags?

Seen it done for bed fishing over the past few seasons. 

Also, the Savage Gear line-thru gill sits perfectly upright on the bottom. You can use the top-hook orientation and dead stick it on the bottom. 

14 hours ago, justintrask said:

I’ve spent a good bit of time Carolina rigging floating swimming with very little success. Like a fs shad or bbz shad. Just enough leader to get it off the bottom. But have only caught a handful of small fish doing it