Have You Tried Your Savage Gear Line Thru?

ICSpots

I don't care who has them for sale or for how much. Let's get to the important stuff. Has anyone had a chance to actually fish a Savage Gear Line Thru? How does it swim compared to a Castaic Catch-22 or the older Platinum?

I received mine yesterday and I've only had a chance to toss drop mine in the sink and found that my "Floater" is actually a slower-slow sink.

I was wondering if anyone else had a similar experience.

I'll try to get to a lake this weekend if it isn't another blustery weekend in Seattle.

(FYI - I'm chalking the non-floating issue up as an initial production issue and will work it out with the vendor. No harm, no foul).

Tim

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(FYI - I'm chalking the non-floating issue up as an initial production issue and will work it out with the vendor. No harm, no foul).

Tim

Maybe it has something to do with the faucet adding a lot of oxygen to the water prior to dropping it in? Let us know how the lake experiences go with that sink rate.

I have used all three sink rates and will say I dont know how to use them yet. I am pretty new to swimbaits have lots to learn about them. Seems like the slow sink was easiet one for me to get to work it runs couple feet below the surface on steady retrieve. It suspends well I thought. I allways here everyone talking how slow to work soft baits and the savage seems to have to be reeled pretty quick to make it swim if you reel it slow it wont swim. Like I stated I have lots to learn about swimbaits. Curious to see how others are using theirs and what they think of them.

Ive only used my floater and moderate sink. I love em and think they swim freakin awesome. really think ill get some nice fish this year. well holefully.. lol

my floater dives on the retrieve then floats back up. the thing idl about the sinker is that it if just chillin there, not lowering or raising your rod is goes diagonal. maybe that just the way its supposed to go..

I am so glad to see this thread because I just discovered these things yesterday. They look freaking awesome and am getting ready to order them. It's good to see the comments, the one thing I don't like is there are only two colors and I don't use trout that much cause there are no trout where I fish. They have some dang nice baits though. How about the other one that you use the special rig, ohhh dang it, what was it again? Think they call what you use an offset hook (treble) or you can use a ball head jig type hook? Get'en me some of those too haha

I am so glad to see this thread because I just discovered these things yesterday. They look freaking awesome and am getting ready to order them. It's good to see the comments, the one thing I don't like is there are only two colors and I don't use trout that much cause there are no trout where I fish. They have some dang nice baits though. How about the other one that you use the special rig, ohhh dang it, what was it again? Think they call what you use an offset hook (treble) or you can use a ball head jig type hook? Get'en me some of those too haha

theres no perch in the lake i fish and ive still caught em off that color

it might be good to throw something that a bass hasnt seen before..

I own all 3 sink rates. Floating, slow sinking, and moderate sinking. I’ve only fished the floater of far. My floater floated when I threw it in my “test†tank but while I was out fishing, it became a super slow sink(~1’ per sec) – I even swapped out the stock hook(#1 treble I think) to a #2 ST56. this was after reading about how the floater dives a bit when reeled. If I remember correctly, the #2 ST56 weighs approximately 10 grams lighter than the stock hook. Ive been thinking about cutting it open and modding it so that it becomes a true floater. We’ll see if I follow through with that or not…

I fished this bait for a better half of a 3 hour trip. I don’t have any fish on it but I was however, able to witness a few rat smallies come up and tbone it.

A couple thing that I like about this bait is that the swim is nice and fluid and changing up the retrieval speed really makes this thing kick like a frightened trout trying to flee. i’ll bring out the gopro with next time out and try to get some footage of this in action.

Tried the floater at a local farm pond to test out.. Mine suspends right below the surface and can be cranked slowwww. My favorite soft body swimbait ATM although i haven't had much experience in the soft body's yet.. It looks really good though i just hope they hold up to toothy predators around my parts

anyone rig em up like butch does? would like to know exactly how he rigs it

[attachment=1]butch.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=0]butch 2.jpg[/attachment]

Didn't know Butch Brown was fishing Savage Gear Line Througs...

It's not a Huddleston. What are you going to Seven Strand rig the hook too on a bait without a line tie? Seems like the hook pocket that Savage Gear designed is your best option. Are you just taking about he hook eye position? Looks like you've rigged stock and one further forward with a different hook. Both will work, but I think you're over thinking this one.