Glide bait retrieves

Hey guys just wondering what kind of retrieves you've had the best success on with glides like for example I've seen Mike Gilbert likes to slow roll his hinkles while someone like Geoff of crazybassfisher likes to impart a lot of action so I'm just curious as to you guys thoughts and successes.  

This really depends on the bait. Not all glides work the same. Some are wide some are short choppy glides etc. any specific baits? For example K9 in glide mode I kinda chop “chk.. chk.. chk chk( let it glide after that one a bit then repeat). A Deps 250 is just a slow retrieve for the wide glide. Small gill baits are choppy 

10 minutes ago, bigpoppabass said:

At the recent sports show Oliver Ngy said don't overlook speed as a trigger. 

I always hear this but man I have not been able to crack that code. I find every big fish I catch is almost always when I settle down and slow my retrieve, or pause. I know that speed can work for people but man I don’t know how. Only thing I can say is that I have gotten bites when I see a fish stalking the bait and a little pop or twitch at the right moment will get them to smash it but fast retrieves never seem to draw them in for me 

1 hour ago, brootalititties said:

I always hear this but man I have not been able to crack that code. I find every big fish I catch is almost always when I settle down and slow my retrieve, or pause. I know that speed can work for people but man I don’t know how. Only thing I can say is that I have gotten bites when I see a fish stalking the bait and a little pop or twitch at the right moment will get them to smash it but fast retrieves never seem to draw them in for me 

I agree and then there are all of these utube vids with peeps fishing em under calm conditions. That never works for me either. I suspect some fellas have their go pros on all of the time...I like gliders that sit under the surface at rest or ones that suspend a little to fish like a jerkbait. 

Edited by bigpoppabass

Like others have said depending on different glides and time of year. In the spring I tend to slow down and fish bigger glides like trout patterns and big Shad’s I get most of my strikes on the pause. 
 During the summer I get more aggressive and fish a chop style glide seems to trigger way more bites for me. Early morning and just before dark I’ll switch to top water wake baits. 

1 hour ago, Fishingthesoutheast said:

So what I meant is like for example with a hinkle type glide do you just slow roll it or do you glide it with your reel like i.e glide.... glide.... glide... glide glide etc

Really, @BayAreaAnglersummed it up pretty well, different styles of glides tend to perform better with certain styles of retrieves. Anything beyond that is going to need more specifics. 

Or, just fish the bait you want to, and then adjust your retrieve based on whether you have success with it or not. 

Edited by chevro1et

My favorite glide bait retrieve is a 20-30 slow revolutions, a quick burn like your glide is trying to flee a following fish, long pause like it exhausted itself or died until you feel you have to continue the retrieve to avoid bottom, three twitchy revolutions of the reel starting slow and jerky and speeding up and to the speed of the first 20-30 revolutions like the bait is coming back to life, then repreat the process. 

Imagine you're a trout going: "we vibin' we vibin'" (20-30 revolutions) "OH SH-T A BASS" (burn it) "damn I'm too tired to run, let me diiieee" (kill it) "no wait I want to LIVE" (twitch twitch and crank it) "we vibin' again" (20-30 revolutions)

4 hours ago, Jon P said:

Imagine you're a trout going: "we vibin' we vibin'" (20-30 revolutions) "OH SH-T A BASS" (burn it) "damn I'm too tired to run, let me diiieee" (kill it) "no wait I want to LIVE" (twitch twitch and crank it) "we vibin' again" (20-30 revolutions)

Haha I absolutely love this description! In all seriousness, I do try my best to imagine how a scared baitfish would be swimming and fish my glide accordingly. I truly believe that fishing with confidence leads to more bites!

25 minutes ago, porkmeatballs said:

Haha I absolutely love this description! In all seriousness, I do try my best to imagine how a scared baitfish would be swimming and fish my glide accordingly. I truly believe that fishing with confidence leads to more bites!

The guy who helped teach me how to teach me how to bass fish with conventional gear, a taxidermist who lived down the road from me, heavily stressed the importance of taking your time when fishing a jig or a worm and “thinking like a crayfish” to make it not boring. He would do a goofy ass crayfish monologue to show how he wanted me to retrieve the bait that’d have you busting a gut laughing.

thought he was just joking when I was a kid but it really does help keep your attention on a long retrieve and really makes you think about what the bait is looking like to a fish. I gotta imagine a lot of fish that follow to the bank and don’t commit to the bait never made an attempt to eat as the bait never reacted to their presence like an actual baitfish would.

6 hours ago, Jon P said:

My favorite glide bait retrieve is a 20-30 slow revolutions, a quick burn like your glide is trying to flee a following fish, long pause like it exhausted itself or died until you feel you have to continue the retrieve to avoid bottom, three twitchy revolutions of the reel starting slow and jerky and speeding up and to the speed of the first 20-30 revolutions like the bait is coming back to life, then repreat the process. 

Lmao bro this is exactly how I fish my jointed swimmers just without the dying-sink out step

On 2/7/2024 at 9:25 PM, Fishingthesoutheast said:

So what I meant is like for example with a hinkle type glide do you just slow roll it or do you glide it with your reel like i.e glide.... glide.... glide... glide glide etc

My hinkle shad I fish super slow pop pop pause type retrieve kinda like a jerk bait.  That retrieve fooled this one. Water was low 40's in March when I caught it.

6.85 lbs hinkle.jpg

7 hours ago, urbanhick said:

My hinkle shad I fish super slow pop pop pause type retrieve kinda like a jerk bait.  That retrieve fooled this one. Water was low 40's in March when I caught it.

6.85 lbs hinkle.jpg

Thats how I fish my DS glides