Rat bites

bassturds

5 hours ago, urbanhick said:

I throw the Cl8 crankin baby possum all the time, they actually bite it when nothing else works and based on the way they demolish it it flat out pisses them off triggering a strike. Ice Water 7lber smoked it slow rolling it up tight in early April.  You really need to try a crank down rat, they get bit when the wake versions don't.

7.00 baby possum.jpg

I got a cranking possum! I’m going to throw it a lot now. Haven’t used it much. 

I’ve had the best luck in spring and summer ….in my opinion if it’s sunny out you wanna get along docks, under overhanging trees and if possible I like fishing floating  debris like woodchips, leaves, dead algae…basically anything floating that you can get the bait through. And if it’s cloudy I’ve had better luck casting parallel to the bank and along shallower points and rocky areas. 

• 2 weeks later...

I’ll throw it when it looks like buzzbait/plopper time. On a clear lake that might mostly be lowlight conditions or rainy days. If it’s a shallow dirty lake could be all day when bites on. You need quality fish shallow and feeding. Close to heavy cover is ideal mainly because that’s where you will find quality bass shallow. Casting angles are same as I would throw a plopper or buzzbait.  I’ll try and get close to a bank and make long casts or throw right over thickest wood I can. I’m typically using the spro50 btw. 

Edited by Rangermike

I might be the only guy to say this but.....I don't have any science or rhyme n reason behind my rat bites. I just throw them because it's one of my favorite baits to fish. Waking, walking, cranking, slow roll, burn pause, parallel to shore, around cover, open water, calm, windy, morning, mid day, night, clear, overcast, foggy, rain,....I've caught rat fish during all those conditions. From prespawn thru late fall. 

Consider them of course but don't get way too hung up on conditions and structure and other factors. Sometimes u just gotta throw it when it doesn't even make sense to do so 

Only thing I haven't done is dead sticking. I don't let a bait sit too long because it's not my style and I'm impatient. 

Edited by SumoNinja

I've been on a pretty consistent rat bite all thru Feb and still going, water temps have been anywhere from 40-46 and I've fished in everything from snow to sunshine, 20mph winds to slick calm. Most bites cranking, some waking.I wouldn't say it's been great but the bite is there if that's what you want to catch a fish on. I don't think there is a wrong time to throw a rat honestly.

1000012444-01.jpeg

5 hours ago, SkagitBasser said:

I've been on a pretty consistent rat bite all thru Feb and still going, water temps have been anywhere from 40-46 and I've fished in everything from snow to sunshine, 20mph winds to slick calm. Most bites cranking, some waking.I wouldn't say it's been great but the bite is there if that's what you want to catch a fish on. I don't think there is a wrong time to throw a rat honestly.

1000012444-01.jpeg

Are you fishing the micro mink on fluoro or copoly/mono? I’m assuming fluoro would help it to crank down, but not sure if that would completely eliminate the wake. I’ve only fished mine on copoly but I usually fish it as a wake. 

23 minutes ago, Jerkbait22 said:

Are you fishing the micro mink on fluoro or copoly/mono? I’m assuming fluoro would help it to crank down, but not sure if that would completely eliminate the wake. I’ve only fished mine on copoly but I usually fish it as a wake. 

Rod tip up will keep most “wake & crank” style baits waking on flouro. Rod tip down to crank it

@Jerkbait22I'm fishing it on 20lb mono. Still cranks down a foot+ just depends on reel speed. Ive been fishing pretty dirt shallow most my bites have been less than 3ft. When I want to get it deeper I switch over to another mink I have weighted and that one I have on a super slow reel so it stays down and in the strike zone longer. Kinda just hovers down there around 3ish feet deep its pretty dope!

20240302_231337.jpg