Best rod for 250, Ghost, and Mother

SDMF10

First post on here if I remember right so forgive me if its in the wrong place.

Im looking for a rod to throw a 250, ghost, and mother on. As of right now I'm not sure that's a good idea or if that's too big of a weight range. Im thinking a Dobyns 908 based on a bunch of research but would like to avoid spending that much. Therefore, Im wondering if the Irod Genesis 3 865 Baileys Mag Swim XH rated 5-12 ounces or any other rod would work for this. If I couldn't throw the mother on the Irod that's fine as long as I could fit the 250 and ghost on it.

I had a Levante leviathan from Megabass and it worked great just felt too limiting. If there's nothing in the I rod price range Im open to the Dobyns and Leviathan rods 300$ to 350$ price range if it comes to it. Not sure if the Leviathan would work for the 250-mother either.

Plan on pairing it with a Tatula 300 7.1 with a 117 varial (Same the owner of Drt uses for the ghost) but it felt a little too slow for the 250 last year. Not sure how that will go with the ghost or mother but Ill figure that out second.

Thank you guys in advance! Here's a pic of my pb. Hopefully the ghost breaks it.

IMG_4432.HEIC

Should probably add that Im bank beating only and not sure about the 9' er. Really like the leviathan but dang 350 just gets me the rod. I still have to spend that on a bait...

@Jbr458 I have the heavy rated 2-6 and I love it. Just not sure how long ill throw those giant baits. I killed them on the 250 last year but Im not sure if a 300$ bait is worth throwing if I'm not sure how they'll react to it or if I can even find a decent rod. Part of why I want to throw the 250 other than not carrying a bunch of rods with me. At least if it throws that I won't have to sell it.

On 2/21/2024 at 9:29 PM, SDMF10 said:

As of right now I'm not sure that's a good idea or if that's too big of a weight range.

IMHO opinion you need 2 rods for this reason. You're going from 5-6oz to 9-10oz. Yes, all three are hard treble baits but with their size differences their each going to need specific rods to be able to cast them well and work them. Grab one rod specifically for the 250 and then another for the Ghost/Mother.

Probably out of your budget, but I use a RomanMade Centurion Mind Mother rod for all those baits. It does great with the 250 and Ghost, though I will say the Mother is definitely on the higher end of its weight limit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hit up Matt Newman on the irod insta, he will tell you there best option. I have the 8'6 baileys magnum and throw the tyrant effortlessly; the lure weighs 7oz rigged weedless, throwing a 250 will be fine.  Ghost should be good as well. Again hit Matt up on the irod insta, he answers quickly and takes time to explain his rod choice. 

If you do go with irod, get the 20in handle that is sold separately. Best thing I did for fishing my bigger lures with that rod.

• 5 weeks later...

if you do decide on the 908, it's a great rod, + a pretty common "hack"  is to look for them used on offerup/fb marketplace. They're at the length that nobody wants to ship them and lots of people start out with the 908, and upgrade to a custom rod later on, i bought mine that was almost new for 150.  if you do pick one up, IMO Just save it for the ghost/mother, I dont own a mother but ive thrown my 250 and ghost with it, but I use my LDC H for the 250, just seems more suited for it. 

I think a 908 can do all 3. It casts a 250 fine, and can cast a hinkle trout and ghost just fine. A mother is just about identical in weight as a hinkle trout I believe. 

So personally if I only brought a ghost, mother and 250 out on a trip, the only rod I'd bring is a 908. Only thing I'd do different is use a 400 size reel