Life Jacket Etiquette Help

bigpoppabass

What say you about requiring nonboaters to wear a life jacket when law requires one such as when outboard is running? Every year I feel like a dick for asking someone to put one on. And I get a little annoyed when nonboater regularly thinks it is my obligation to provide one. So I usually bring a bright orange cheap one with neck support of course to treat them like a child in the boat. Then I get even more resistance. This scenario has been playing out for years. 

PS. Just one of these annoying things, I have to insist when they decline to wear one, cuz I know when they fall out of boat and drown, the family isn't going to believe me when I say they refused to wear or to bring one. But sometimes, I let that happen.  

PS 1 Given the power of modern trolling motors, I rarely take mine off when I am the nonboater. Another reason for peeps just to want to wear them like a bike helmet. 

Edited by bigpoppabass

When you say “nonboaters” is it safe to assume you’re talking about a random angler during a tournament? Or you talking about friends and family members?

Honestly, I look at it this way no matter who it is: your boat, your rules. That’s the bottom line. They in turn should embrace the opportunity to be out on the boat with you and respect what you set forth in terms of safe boating. You shouldn’t feel any kind of way asking or requiring a person to wear a PFD. You’re only looking out for their safety on the water. 

As for providing one, well I feel you are obligated to do so. Hear me out: they are “nonboaters” for a reason. So it stands to reason they wouldn’t own a quality PFD. However, if they are regular  fishing partner or tournament “nonboater” angler, and are well aware of the rules of boating, common sense would dictate they would have their own PFD as part of their tournament gear. I personally do keep a quality PFD in my boat for guest. For such reason as stated above. Granted I don’t tournament fish, but I still would rather have my “guest” enjoy the day on the water. Not criticizing you at all, but maybe if you don’t hand them a bright orange cheap one, they might not be so resistant? I don’t know, I’m just speculating. 

But again, to me, the bottom line is: your boat, your rules, and people aboard should respect that and not  show any resistance to your request. 

Chris~~~

This is not up for debate on my boat. I have a nice small jacket from Onyx or something like that, inflates on impact if you hit the water. I carry one for me, and one for the co-angler. It is a requirement to wear one when the big motor is running. If you don't like it, GTF off my boat.

The reality is these boats go fast, and there are a ton of variables that can turn a good day into a bad one. When you are on my boat, you are my responsibility.

If the co-anlger doesn't like it, tell him/her to kick rocks.

Better yet, tell him or her to stop being poor and get their own boat if they don't want to wear one.

If it is your boat you are legally responsible for them, so if they are not wearing it and something happens you may have a problem. You know how this world is now and see all the layer ads, it's like free money.

Like others have said your boat your rules.

I'm on the other side of it, as a non-boater, I provide my own life jacket.

My friend that I boat/fish with the most, doesn't wear his jacket nor the kill switch lanyard when driving.

Even though I talked to him about it repeatedly, his boat his rules.

You stick to doing the right thing, it may save a life one day. 

I would say it’s non-negotiable. If they won’t wear a life jacket while the big motor is running, they don’t get to ride in the boat, both for their safety and for yours (and your potential liability).

When I fished tournaments about 20 yrs ago as a non-boater the expectation was that everyone had their own life jacket but every boater I fished with also had additional ones onboard. The rules fir the clubs I fished with were simple - life jackets were required if the big motor was on. If another competitor saw  your boat not following that rule both anglers on the offending boat would be DQ’d.

Where I live its mandatory to have enough life jackets on board to the amount of passengers so the boat owner is obligated to have them. 

Im guilty of not wearing one ever. (Bad habit I know) but Ive always got 2 in the boat regardless.

As far as a back decker if you say wear it they need to or get off the boat. Simple as that

Several years ago I found the remains of a teenager who fell off a boat and drowned had been in the water for 3 months.  If I take someone out in my boat I tell them about that kid and hand them a life jacket.  As  stated before - your boat your rules.

I don't often take people out as i only have a yak and a 10ft jon boat. no big motors usually just putting around with a trolling motor or pedal drive. 

The way i see it is,  it's my boat and if i'm wearing mine you will be wearing one as well. If they don't like it they don't get in my boat.

I also don't wear a pfd to save my life, although it may help with that.  I wear it so if something bad should happen, the person looking for my body does not have to risk their life to find it. 

Just pick up a decent life jacket for your co anglers. They're not that expensive. Fishing is supposed to be fun and not antagonistic. Not sure why you'd be willing to risk your passengers' safety just to teach them a lesson by giving them a crappy and uncomfortable life jacket to wear that's only going to exacerbate the situation.

You're responsible for your passengers' safety to a certain extent as you said. 

1 hour ago, jakevlastnik said:

im not getting dq'd by someone not wearing one, if anyone gets eyes on you with a decent bag and co angler without one on the big motor you're getting protested 

Some fellas throwing a Muitt Mouse years ago won a regional attorney but had outboard trouble and could not run full out and hopped from spot to spot. They got dqued for not wearing pdfs doing that. Lost decent lunker money too. 

Edited by bigpoppabass

3 hours ago, LowSpinner said:

I'm on the other side of it, as a non-boater, I provide my own life jacket.

My friend that I boat/fish with the most, doesn't wear his jacket nor the kill switch lanyard when driving.

Even though I talked to him about it repeatedly, his boat his rules.

You stick to doing the right thing, it may save a life one day. 

We have a licensing course out here, and the instructor I had was teary eyed about kill switch use having pulled a body. There is no way am I chancing a running motor circling me like a shark with every circle narrowing and eventually chopping me. It happened another time when a fellas steering cable broke on a turn. His dog somehow didn't get thrown but driver did.