Bassmasters Century Mark

Hmoob

Just curious, if you guys think FFS will eventually be the killer of LMB fishing or make it better??? For example last Bassmasters at Lake fork the Top Ten all had over 100lbs for 4 days....with this technology is it hurting fishing in general and will it hurt the BIG MOMMA'S cause it'll be "easier" to catch......what you guys think???

I don’t think it’ll hurt the fishing. It may or may not have an effect on the angler though. Some may say skills. Id be concerned about the body/posture long term. My neck hurts watching these guys use these electronics.

3 minutes ago, riverrat_84 said:

I don’t think it’ll hurt the fishing. It may or may not have an effect on the angler though. Some may say skills. Id be concerned about the body/posture long term. My neck hurts watching these guys use these electronics.

I’m starting to think we’ll see guys wearing some sort of AR style goggles / glasses with the way it’s going. You could have all your screens on the ar goggles while keeping your posture normal and watching your line as well. With the way technology is advancing and being adopted by the fishing world, I wouldn’t be surprised if we see that sooner than later.

It will make those bass smarter.  In the near future the ffs will not be as effective.  Just look the history....spinnerbaits, a rigs , various swimbaits like the hudd & deps 250.  Bass easily become conditioned & wary.  Watch some of Butch Brown's & WCZ theories in swimbaiting vids on you tube.  Pond fishing proves it....I use to fish 3) ponds that I would rotate.  Two of the ponds were big but it didn't matter.  If I fished them hard for three days straight on that fourth day you couldn't get a bite.  My point those fish that are dna/gene oriented deep fish are now getting pressure.....it's only a matter of time before the ffs becomes less effective.  Mother nature always adapts and survives

1 hour ago, Michael Ray Looney said:

Mother nature always adapts and survives

Exactly my thoughts regarding FFS.  Well said. 

I believe it will make an impact, during the next few years, now that’s it new technology and being exploited more and more.
But eventually bass, like all living creatures, will adapt, overcome and survive. 

As anglers, you will have to do the same in your pursuit to catching them. It’s all a chess game, right now anglers have the advantage with FFS, but eventually it will  change as bass get accustomed to this pressure. 

Think of it this way: 

Just when anglers think they have the answers, the bass are going to change the question. 

Jacob Proseniak(sp) spoke at a MA sports show this year. He said he doesn't use it all that much fishing privately. But he did admit and surprised me when he said he uses 3 yes 3 ffs units during a torney, because they might help him to locate that one torney winner he needs.....I don't see how these units improve fishing outside of lakes with pelagic fish populations chasing bait schools like shad alewives......in most cases a suspended deep fish is an inactive one. I have spent way too much time drop shotting unsuccessfully over inactive fish....The pro circuits tho are not real life, they hand pick dates knowing that fishery should have a prime bite at torney time. And that is why locals get pissed and look like jerks fishing the same water.  

Edited by bigpoppabass

It absolutely has made a huge impact on the sport already. It is 100% easier for "anglers" to catch fish now! People underestimate how powerful of a tool FFS is. Look at the final result from both of the elite and the two opens events- all of the old school hammers who missed the cut didnt all of the sudden forget how to catch fish. There is no way in hell the 19 year old kid who won Fork is even in that tournament if he cant scope his way through the opens to even be in the elites! The sport is dramatically altered and I am not confident of BASS doing anything about it. 

Edited by BoatSquirrel
Spelling

1 hour ago, BoatSquirrel said:

It absolutely has made a huge impact on the sport already. It is 100% easier for "anglers" to catch fish now! People underestimate how powerful of a tool FFS is. Look at the final result from both of the elite and the two opens events- all of the old school hammers who missed the cut didnt all of the sudden forget how to catch fish. There is no way in hell the 19 year old kid who won Fork is even in that tournament if he cant scope his way through the opens to even be in the elites! The sport is dramatically altered and I am not confident of BASS doing anything about it. 

There is always a newbie hot hand on the circuit.  Jordan Lee for example.  But I agree it has to got help if you are watching fish target bait. 

11 minutes ago, bigpoppabass said:

There is always a newbie hot hand on the circuit

This is not just one newbie Poppa- this is a generational difference between the older guys and the kids who started their fishing lives with FFS.  Look at BASS' AOY standings. Its all of the FFS children above the classic cut line and very few of the actual bass fishermen above that line. Same for the opens. Unfortunately, FFS is a superbly effective tool. It is no different than deer hunting with a a FLIR cam.  There were 10- TEN Century belts given out!  

Edited by BoatSquirrel

It was crazy, almost as good as Falcon in 2008 before anyone had FFS.  Hell, Aaron Martens came in at 109lbs 8 oz after 3 days, then did bad on day 4 with only 19lbs.   He was one of three guys who broke the 100lb mark in only 3 days of fishing.      No one did that at Fork with FFS.

https://www.bassmaster.com/tournament/2008-elite-series-lone-star-shootout/results/

You get down here in Texas with the right timing on a really good lake its gonna happen with the best pros in the country fishing.    Simple as that.

The tough part is having the weather cooperate.

Thats whats tough for me planning fishing trips.    I live here in Texas, but its a big place.   So I have to travel a bit to get to the best lakes. 

All my trips to these top level lakes have to be planned so I can book a place to stay, take vacation at work, etc.    But the weather is a hell of a variable this time of year.   It can definitely make or break you.

Edited by DrahtDog

7 hours ago, BoatSquirrel said:

This is not just one newbie Poppa- this is a generational difference between the older guys and the kids who started their fishing lives with FFS.  Look at BASS' AOY standings. Its all of the FFS children above the classic cut line and very few of the actual bass fishermen above that line. Same for the opens. Unfortunately, FFS is a superbly effective tool. It is no different than deer hunting with a a FLIR cam.  There were 10- TEN Century belts given out!  

We can disagree, the best sticks left for mlf years back and never returned.