Aches & Pains From Chuckin'

TangledLines

try rock climbing, then your body will hurt so bad from climbing that you won't really notice pain from casting :D

In all honestly I've never had an issue although i did once smash my finger between the reel case and the level wind when I casted an 11" soft tool... broke m finger nail off and broke all sorts of stuff inside my calcutta TE... i'm a fool at times.

I'd go with what somebody mentioned above, pairing up your baits with the right rod is step one then let the rod load up and bait and rod do the work. I don't put much effort into casting anything until i get up to around 10 oz. Hudds should feel relatively light after some time throwing big baits. hang in there and don't let it discourage you, it was probably a fluke.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A longer handle will help some, but it is just something that you are going to have to spend some time with and figure our what works for you. But in short, yes... lots of people have random aches and pains from throwing big baits. Particularly new people, and generally directly in the vaginal region haha.

+1

I work out a lot and this helps. If you have to hire a personal trainer or go to a physical therapist and explain to them what you're doing and they can give you some exercises specific to your movements to strengthen those muscles and tendons. And before you start doing any casting, stretch your arms and wrists. If you think about it, its a workout to throw these things and this is what you have to do before you work out. These people can show you some proper stretches also. Stretching your arms etc at the beginning of your fishing day sounds crazy, but it's important! Keep you from getting some of these pains or injuries. But if you don't work out, get into the gym lol but seriously it'll help!

I can't say I've ever really felt any pain or soreness from casting baits all day. I am fairly young but not real young (28) but I think I just don't try to cast real far. I just make a long smooth motion and just try to get the bait in the right spot without torquing my whole body. I know that sometimes it may be necessary to make extra long casts but I rarely feel the need to bomb it way out there.

A few people have mentioned this, but I will repeat it; work out. There is nothing that will help you more than strengthening your body. You can take all the pills you want and try casting differently, but your muscles and tendons are the source of the problem so you need to work on them.

This is going to sound goofy but hear me out.

Years ago while studying martial arts I learned how to properly swing a sword without destroying everything from my shoulders down.

To properly swing a sword (the katana) you use a push/pull drawing motion.

Use your upper hand to push your lower hand to pull and with both hands/arms draw the rod/sword towards you while slicing through the air. It's not a hacking motion it is smooth or fluid motion if you will. You DO NOT snap your wrists let the rod do the work. Don't muscle the rod, relax as much as possible. Also don't put a death grip on the rod either. Sensei taught me to relax my hands by trying to grip the sword with only the pinky and ring fingers and relaxing my middle fingers around the sword but not gripping too tightly leaving my index fingers pointing out. With training my grip changed and I completely closed my grip around the sword but my grip is only tight enough to safely hold the sword and not lose control of the cutting motion. This technique directly transfers over to throwing big baits. At least it did for me....

Throwing big baits hurts. Even with the right gear. Dropshots aleveate the problem. With the proper set up its nite and day over gear not made for swimmers. But if u dont get out much its gon a hurt. You can go to the gym... But i never understood this. The time u spend at the gym u could go and CAST SWIMBAITS. No better work out for swimbait fishing than swimbait fishing. Gotta do it over and over and over... I heartbe same question from my friends that dont fish often when we go out for 10-12hrs. They are like "my backs on fire from standing and casting all day! How do you deal with it!?" Easy answer "man up! And go fishing more than once a week!" My back is used to those days as is my body for big swimbaits since thats what i throw most of the time. Also something i have never seen anyone suggest i these "my vag hurts" threads.... Stretch! Warm up and stretch ur shoulders back arms kneck. Get loosened up, stretch it all out. Ok, im done rambling lol

#1~ dont be p^ssies

#2~ i carry 4 norcos and a small bottle of exedrine just in case i get really hurt or have a migrane pain.( and i deal with bad daily pain!)

#3~ how can anyone even think about minor pains while your out!! its fishing !! when im out fishing im in the zone with tunnel vision and i doesnt register to me then (?) ...

#4~ i go out fishing to take my mind off of my daily pains (re- bone spurs on my hips, wasted knee)

#5~ lets keep this one to our selves at home --- where it belongs. sometimes even drugs,technique,BJ's nothing can take your mind off of certain pains. and ive heard another thread like this recently that had some rediculous feedback-- these are things we as men/women will have to deal with and WILL NOT get better no matter what happens.

yours truely mr."Not Allowed" :D