Increasing popularity in swimbaits

nightsessions

I personally receive more looks and comments like "what the heck are you gonna catch on that" out here in Massachusetts. I know there are plenty of swimbaiters but cant even compare to out in Cali. Maybe some day the craze will be out here but I'm glad its not.

When word gets out it was X lake you can see the increase in boats.

That is the big issue I am dealing with right now. There are guys posting up on another board, virtually daily, with "NEW PB on Lake_____!!!!"

The amount of boats is going way up (and still increasing). It totally sucks.

The problem with so Cal is the lakes are so small everyone sees everyone to easy. No place to run. The baits are so many it's like a crank bait , so many kinds but on any given day one will out perform others. The fish feed. It's a matter of being there when they will , on top of using the right bait/time. It's NEVER easy. It just looks that way when you're on them. If you don't fish cali are you getting the bigger schools of bass in your area? If not you haven't been there yet. Therefore some will think it's easy because it appears that way. It is easy once you're on them. So it seems . But getting there , well, that's what takes commitment. The guy who says " they have there place " is not committed to them and may have a harder time. Even I feel if only used them here and there when I thought I should that would decrease my catches. I learn stuff all the time. Most you see fishing them are just learning and will give up in time. They have to catch something so they will go back to whatever they have the most confidence in. Don't worry. Big fish is not for everyone. When the smoke clears some of us will still be going and get the big bite first. To many are showing backgrounds these days. Bad bad BAD!! It only takes a handful of in the know guys to know the lake and the rest is history. That's a fact jack! I have stuff I can't and won't even use because it shows to much. That's part of the issue too. When word gets out it was X lake you can see the increase in boats.

Guys like Don make it look easy out here but it's because he has a lot of experience, patience and (most importantly) time. I'm sure if guys could see the amount of hours that the good CA swimbait guys put into getting big fish they would probably die of boredom. The opportunity to catch giants here is definitely real, but the amount of work that goes into catching those fish is even more "real". Believe me, I'm not very old (28) but I have put a lot of hours in on the water and at home studying lakes and technique in the last 4 or so years and I feel that in all reality, I don't have a lot to show for it. It's tough to catch the giants anywhere, and CA is no exception.

while out in socal, it surprised me at how many guys were throwing big baits(hudds, 250's, etc). fishing here in MN its normally just me and/or couple other guys(all in the same boat/group). it really did catch me off guard when we were launching the boat and i saw a bunch of guys tying on big baits.

i am glad that i dont have the pressure that the guys in CA have but im getting tired of the 3-5lb fish - need some DD's!

im hoping that things quiet down quickly in the swimbait world. it does get quite annoying with all the new guys coming into the game without even knowing the basics of bass fishing...

The problem with so Cal is the lakes are so small everyone sees everyone to easy. No place to run.

I have to laugh a bit every time I see a CA guy say this. I can damn near cast all the way across the two main lakes here. Are your lakes really smaller than that?

The problem with so Cal is the lakes are so small everyone sees everyone to easy. No place to run.

I have to laugh a bit every time I see a CA guy say this. I can damn near cast all the way across the two main lakes here. Are your lakes really smaller than that?

No but on small lakes they get enough boats at times that you can't move unless someone else does lmao!!

I Don't worry about it...just be willing to put in the time when the other guys wont...if im not at work or spending time with my wife im on the water..I don't give a damn if going to snow if its dark cold windy doesn't matter..every second you have a bait in the water and the other guy doesn't you are becoming a better fisherman than he is....

I fish a TVA lake in east Tenn called Norris. It has over 800 miles of shoreline and its surface area covers 34,000 acres and can be over 200 feet deep in the main channel. Its gets alot of fishing pressure but is so large even in a large tournament you will not be close to or see another boat until weigh in.

Most here only fish the soft and soft bodied hollow swimbaits. In fact most of the "good ole boys" laugh at my triple trouts, ms slammers, bull shads and etc. The large hard baits and Hudds have not caught on here yet and I hope it stays that way so the fish here seldom see a large swimbait.

When word gets out it was X lake you can see the increase in boats.

That is the big issue I am dealing with right now. There are guys posting up on another board, virtually daily, with "NEW PB on Lake_____!!!!"

The amount of boats is going way up (and still increasing). It totally sucks.

Doesn't have to be swimbait related. If there are lakes that are unknown only a few are in the know and theres a tournament goes in that lake and whacks them its over secrets out and boat increase will follow. Specially in Cali where new tournament orgs popping up yearly.

But aren't they 15 miles long? That doesn't equal small...

I Don't worry about it...just be willing to put in the time when the other guys wont...if im not at work or spending time with my wife im on the water..I don't give a damn if going to snow if its dark cold windy doesn't matter..every second you have a bait in the water and the other guy doesn't you are becoming a better fisherman than he is....

There it is.