Rat Baits

Jfish

Hey guys,

Curious how many guys throw rat baits? Also, which ones do you like best and get bit' on most? What size do you like best? What season(s) do you like to throw them or day/night? Are you throwing them in open water or around heavy cover only? I have my own preferences but looking to see what you guys are into.

JK

The rago generic rat has caught me the most fish over the last year, and it has a great action and wake. The most realistic rat is the Bettencourt rodent which has natural hair and a very subtle swim, it does dive at a moderate rate though so it won't make a very good wake. The ab rat has a wider action and a walks nicely but it's pricey for what it is.

So it all comes down to what you prefer and when you plan on throwing it.

I throw the mini slammer a fair amount and it is a good numbers bait, have caught some nice fish on it also but generally get fish in the 1-3 pound range. This is my dads go to bait he throws it all the time, we mostly fish shallow very weedy ponds and it goes through the weeds fairly well. All around a good bait i think.

PB rat has been doing quite well for me, fishing it near vertical structure and over deep water where the trees hang over.

The whole time I talk to myself like I'm a damn squirrel that fell out of the tree or off the cliff. LMAO

.......or out of that beard. :lol:

I don't own any, but I am looking at buying a MS Mini Slammer. I have heard they are pretty good.

But good question, I want to see what others have to say.

I had the mini slammer and sold it. I found it would roll when I was trying a faster retrieve. I have a wrapped rago rat that's been producing well for me. No monsters yet but plenty of fish.

I throw a baby wake I modified into a rat. This bait is a mainstay when I go pond fishing. Lots of 3-4 lbrs with a few 6's here and there. Deadstick to slow retrieve thrown close to cover is the key for me.

449b3eae.jpg

Nice! Did the tail break off the origanal tail by accident and Macgyver the broken bait? Or did you saw it off intentionally to be Macgyver??? :lol: