Gear Theft Prevention

C_R_TX

As sad as it is- it's not uncommon for people to have their fishing gear stollen.

I am wondering if some guys could share the story on what happened so others can learn from it and try to avoid the same situation.

I fished at night and being tired layed my rods at the entrance to my tent. My head was right next to the entrance thus my rods. Some "Not Allowed" came during the day while I was sleeping and stole my rods right out from under my head, never woke up. Moral of the story, dont think it wont happen. I now place my rods in my locked truck while sleeping in a tent, if you slightly roll down one window and stick the tips through them, you can fit them in your cab; roll your window down just enough to allow the rod tips to go through but not the reels and you are good to go.

I Hide my gear in my car so its not in plain sight. So they dont have a reason to break in. We have had that issue here when people leave their car while they fish. It concerns me because sometimes I take my fresh and saltwater baits at the same time. Thats a lot of $$$$ to lose.

I lost my faith in the goodness of others a long tim ago. If I am done with a fishing trip the rods and gear come out of the truck bed (covered by a shell) - no exceptions. At home the rods live in the main house - my kids sometimes forget to close the garage, so I definitely do not leave them there. On overnight trips I will bring my gear into the motel room or tent with me. Yeah, I'm pretty paranoid.

Interestingly, when my friend and I were in Spain chasing the wels cats, we used our rental car as the drift shuttle. The guide told us to take everything out of the car and then leave one window 1/2 way down and the car unlocked so that petty would-be thieves could look inside, see there was nothing of value, and not smash the windows to do so. I don't think I'd ever do that here in the US, though!

Had all my gear stolen out of my garage a long time ago. Left it open while me and friends were bbqin in the back getting ready for fishing the next day. They took every rod and reel I had. Stopped fishing a while because of it. Recently someone stole my lures out of my boat, I live on the water and keep it berthed. They took all my personal favorite bapes. Keep stuff inside and locked, even at weigh ins if you do tourney. Dont leave gear on the deck or anything if your away from Ur boat. Sucks but people are lower that low.

i have used a small dremel and put my name on my reel seats and must of the underside of reel foots i own, nothing crazy but enough to know its mine, my buddies use a label maker and put a small label under the reel seat and reel foot as well

take pics of all your gear, any ID markings such as scrathes or dents, or a signatire thing only someone who owned the rod would know.

take pics of serial # plates on trolling motors and log them somewhere, in case you lose the pics, or anythinh else that has a serial number or production label.

take the bare mininum with you at all times, if possible, so even it does happen youre not out $$$.

Try and carry baits in something that looks cheap like a plastic box for hanging files.

also leave the decals/window fishing stickers off your cars its like a calling card for people to break in.

I use to carry a lot of gear in my truck, especially for saltwater, theres was a string a break ins at one particular spot, lucky for myself and my buddy our cars/truck were like 6th in line and the 4th car had an alarm.

Last year I had a few rods stolen after a late fishing trip. Left them in the boat under my carport. Thought I'd be fine as I live in a rural area off of the lake apparently some one rode up and stole the rods and broke a lock box and took 3 Plano boxes of lures some swimbaits and assorted cranks total loss of around 800 renters insurance offset the loss but I learned a valuable lesson. Never leave gear unattended even if it's under lock and key! I now have a baby monitor in the boat and don't leave any gear in the boat anymore!

keep your gear in the house and buy a gun. Simple as that

Wish it was that easy. But I personally wouldn't risk my life or take someone's life over fishing gear. I have over 10k of gear, not including lures, and even that isn't worth it.

keep your gear in the house and buy a gun. Simple as that

Wish it was that easy. But I personally wouldn't risk my life or take someone's life over fishing gear. I have over 10k of gear, not including lures, and even that isn't worth it.

I would. Someone's in MY house, taking MY stuff....I grab MY gun.