Fish beef and drama?

CarolinaBoy4life

This is the short version I am working on the long version but it will take time. A lot of people involved in this swimbait world including some of the heros you have read about, learned from and bought your best baits from have mental disorders. Swimbaiting attracts them. They are successful people at what they do but also backstab, steal, lie and cheat in order to get that success and image they have. They love tv shows, magazine articles, sponsorships etc. this is what fuels them. Problem also is they also help a lot of people because it fuels their drive for ego and image. They are moderators of forums, have youtube channels to "help" , they "review baits". It give them a feeling of power over "lesser people" But to most they seem like nice people. They always want to "help" people but an inner sickness drives them. These unknowing people see their heros and "friends" attacked and come to their defense. Sometimes the sick people team up and help/use each other but it never lasts and soon they have their own fishbeef. How many times do you hear people say, "he has always been nice to me and was real helpful". The guy who helped me with this stuff personally told me it was the worst criminals who do the sickest crimes will always seem like the "nicest helpful neighbor". This is the redflag to look for in the fish beef. If you see a helpful nice person you have to look deeper into it and see what drives them to be this way. You have to figure out who they are when nobody is looking. You have to stop defending them. The people closest to them eventually know and see through it all . When they have problems with fishing partners, and close business partners etc. it's almost never about jealousy as they or others claim. It's because they used someone to help create their image and to help them get ahead. Most of the time they just want to hear people tell them and others how great they are and feel above the people they help. Almost never is it about the things everybody claims it to be. It's not about money , being jealous, or any of those things that people always want to claim. This is what the fish beef is all about.

That's a very deep thought into fishbeef. Appreciate the insight and point of view!

Just trying to "help". :lol: In all seriousness I was fishing with a guy who kept asking me questions while we fished. It's all his info he was nice enough to help me out with after I told him about all the "greed for money" in the swimbait world. He said there is no such thing and went fish beef by fish beef and told me why they happened including some of my own. I have made mistakes on both sides of the issue. I grew up with a serial killer in school and worked for another "suspected killer" who has escaped conviction on murder but went to prison for other things. I realized they both had the same issues that drove them. We had a interesting trip of discussion but caught few fish but it set me free of anger from the "fish beef". although I will still get in a minor skirmish every now and then.

It's along the same lines as the Ranger vs Nitro ish, my ish don't stink mentality aka I'm better than you. It's just fishing plain and simple. I avoid the drama and fish on.

You heard it first folks, FISH ON.

Worry about yourself!!!

Wow, until now I thought I like to catch fish, I appreciate people who can help me catch more fish, and I like helping other people catch more fish. But now I find out I am a sociopath likely to become a serial killer. Damn! :o

Wow, until now I thought I like to catch fish, I appreciate people who can help me catch more fish, and I like helping other people catch more fish. But now I find out I am a sociopath likely to become a serial killer. Damn! :o

It's always the one you least suspect, this time that person happens to be you.

Sounds like a tag line for a really, really bad movie :lol:

:lol: I think you are OK. It's not just helping people but why you do it. Kind of off topic but not really. I used to be a wrestler for a short time in college before having too many injuries to keep on at it and a hs and middle school coach later. Got to know some guys trying to make the Olympic team or who were in the Olympics from camps etc.. At that time there was a guy named John Dupont of the Dupont family. He was a "nice guy" and was pumping money into USA wrestiling so we could compete with the Russians and gave guys and their familys a place to train and live. I talked to a guy I knew who left the farm and said the guy was nuts and had issues. At the same time you would talk to another guy who still lived there or kind of knew him who wouldn't leave who would defend the guy and say he was the nicest guy in the world for all he does for people and was just a victim of life and being rich. End of the story is John Dupont killed Dave Shultz. everybody liked Dave and he had no problems with anyone . The movie is called "Foxcatcher " and don't really know if I want to see it but same story in a different arena and I have heard it's good. Not saying that every fisherman or baitmaker will become a killer but same type of story when people would defend this guy as a nice helpful guy or feel sorry for him.

Randalls observations are legit but that does not explain all the drama. Fishing in general and grown men in general are very competitive. They may not realize it but they are. Its no fun to catch a big fish and not show somebody. We all want to show off and brag at least a little. Its human nature. Egos can easily get bruised When somebody shows off to much or if somebody doesn't get the praise they think they deserve.

I don't think fisherman cheat for greed or money. They want the glory. This supports Randals theory. As far as the drama, a lot of it stems from just a couple sources. There are guys who are always talking bad about somebody else. When those guys make a name for themselves then they build a following. They may be bait makers, good anglers, or just internet experts. There hate spreads like cancer and when they hate somebody, their followers tend to hate that person to. Guys end up taking sides and drama happens.

Other times its as simple as somebody screwing somebody else and getting called out for it. Like when Hinkles bait got molded.

Some of the worst guys my be from California but I don't think that has much of anything to do with it. There are good and bad people in all areas of the world.

Attention-seeking is particularly noticeable with females so I've used the pronoun "she". Males also exhibit attention-seeking behaviour.

Attention seekers commonly exploit the suffering of others to gain attention for themselves. Or they may exploit their own suffering, or alleged suffering. In extreme forms, such as in Munchausen Syndrome By Proxy, the attention-seeker will deliberately cause suffering to others as a means of gaining attention.

The drama queen: every incident or opportunity, no matter how insignificant, is exploited, exaggerated and if necessary distorted to become an event of dramatic proportions. Everything is elevated to crisis proportions. Histrionics may be present where the person feels she is not the centre of attention but should be. Inappropriate flirtatious behaviour may also be present.

The sufferer: this might include feigning or exaggerating illness, playing on an injury, or perhaps causing or inviting injury, in extreme cases going as far as losing a limb. Severe cases may meet the diagnostic criteria for Munchausen Syndrome (also know as Factitious Disorder). The illness or injury becomes a vehicle for gaining sympathy and thus attention. The attention-seeker excels in manipulating people through their emotions, especially that of guilt. It's very difficult not to feel sorry for someone who relates a plausible tale of suffering in a sob story or "poor me" drama.

Something I read the other day and made me think about swimbait fishing

It's just a California thing! The history of fishbeefs all start with baits and baitmakers and their massive ego's about who invented this and that bs. The rest of the beef's are just wussies that can't handle a little ish talking. Particularly one... lol

I agree

it boils down to ego imho. we all have an ego some are bigger than others. Men are inherently competitive. look at any other species males compete for food mates habitat. and a plethora of other things. Most of fish beef comes from guys who want to be the best fisherman, catch the biggest fish, catch the most fish, have the biggest bait/ bait collection, know the best technique/gear.

we are all hear to catch fish share stories and advice and have fun. there is no right or wrong answers in fishing.

Reading the BS is just as bad as partaking in it. Just like the news, Quit watching it and it won't bother you no more. Knowing about it only draws you in, it doesn't change anything other than your mindset.