Water clrity

Jack

My opinion, based on what I've experienced... If you don't think water clarity makes a difference you're crazy.

Fish find food and eat whether it's crystal clear or a mud hole, sure. But hunting down a bait based on feel, versus sensing there's a bait near by, seeing it, getting curious and closing in on it, are very different things. Fishing in the middle of the night in 15ft visibility and 15 inch visibility are not equal either. Just because it's dark out, doesn't mean fish can't see ish.

Now can I argue you're going to get 300% more bites in water clarity between 10-15ft compared to 1-3ft? Nope, not with any data that will mean ish to the rest of y'all. I know what I've seen myself, both largemouth and smallmouth, in different types of lakes, and in different states.

100% agree

My home water is normally very clear. So when it does dirty up it will kill the swimbait bite here. But that just this water. I like a little stain in other lakes. I believe these fish are sight feeders and will travel a long distance to eat a bait.

Great info guys. I must say that I am shocked. All I have ever heard was how well these baits do in really clear water but, it is obvious from the photos and other posts that they will chomp big baits in the dirty water too. Thanks for helping a rookie out and giving me confidence to throw them. I can't wait to get back out on the water when it warms a bit.

I'm opposite, prefer lower vis. This 30 foot Cali visibility draws fish but they get real picky scoping it out. Double edged sword. They will come up and eyeball the hell out of your bait, much more difficult IMO

There is definitely a point where water clarity starts to work against you from what I've seen too. I still would rather deal with that than dirty water. Maybe just because I'm more comfortable with clear water. Maybe because I'm perpetually pissed off at what has happened to my home lakes. But I feel like there are ways to compensate for clearer water, whereas with dirty water I feel like I just keep casting until I hit that fish in the head.

I'm opposite, prefer lower vis. This 30 foot Cali visibility draws fish but they get real picky scoping it out. Double edged sword. They will come up and eyeball the hell out of your bait, much more difficult IMO

There is definitely a point where water clarity starts to work against you from what I've seen too. I still would rather deal with that than dirty water. Maybe just because I'm more comfortable with clear water. Maybe because I'm perpetually pissed off at what has happened to my home lakes. But I feel like there are ways to compensate for clearer water, whereas with dirty water I feel like I just keep casting until I hit that fish in the head.

Throw a white 8" rising son bottom hook and they will find it :P

It makes a big difference in my opinion, our local lakes on a good day may get 1ft of visibility. We were getting some clarity and I was finally getting bites. Actually caught a fish. I could actually see them right when they hit. All summer its been about 6" of visibility. No bites.

A lot of good information posted in this thread.

I fish in muddy water regularly here in Illinois, visibility can range from just a couple inches to maybe a foot or foot and a half at best. What I have found to work the best in the dirtier water are the noisier swimbaits. Loud clacking joints of a bullshad or something that creates a lot of vibration like the boot tail of a rising son with some chartreuse to make it show up better pay off really well in dirty water.

I have also found that the fish hold a lot tighter to the cover in the dirtier water too so accurate casts are key in making a good presentation.

My opinion, based on what I've experienced... If you don't think water clarity makes a difference you're crazy.

Fish find food and eat whether it's crystal clear or a mud hole, sure. But hunting down a bait based on feel, versus sensing there's a bait near by, seeing it, getting curious and closing in on it, are very different things. Fishing in the middle of the night in 15ft visibility and 15 inch visibility are not equal either. Just because it's dark out, doesn't mean fish can't see ish.

Now can I argue you're going to get 300% more bites in water clarity between 10-15ft compared to 1-3ft? Nope, not with any data that will mean ish to the rest of y'all. I know what I've seen myself, both largemouth and smallmouth, in different types of lakes, and in different states.

+1

Thanks SU. There is some remarkable info here and I really appreciate the fact that you are willing to share your experience with a rookie. I can tell you that this will definitely speed up the learning curve and hopefully I will be ably to post some pics of some giants this spring.