question about Hudd 68's

Bryan Speller

I'm relativley new to swimbaiting and so far i've only had marginal success. I've started throwing the huddleston 68 special and had some bites but not many. Is having a slow gear ratio very important to there action or no. It may be a dumb question but i'm starting to doubt myself here. Any answers would be very much appreciated!

When I started throwing swimbaits, I used a 7:1 lexa, and mostly threw the hudd. I caught fish here and there. I thought I was fishing it slow, I wasnt. The next year I got a 5:1 lexa. And have had way better success. Now I can make the bait travel super slow. Stupid slow. I like a rof 5 and fish in shallow in the center of the water column. The bait still kicks, but barely moves along. I have a very hard time or reeling that slow with the 7:1. It is easier for me to speed up, then slow down.

Keep chuckin' it man. I throw a Hudd 68 weedless so often, it straight gets bit. Work on fishing structure, drop offs, grass lines etc. I didn't quite think about how I'm presenting my bait early on... the angle you cast and the speed you retrieve are huge.

Slow steady retrieve. No pauses. Low gear ratio setup with a fast tip on 20lb(mono or copolymer for a slow sink). You will get bit. Try daybreak(sunrise or sunset). Patience is mandatory using soft swimbaits. Swing on instinct, not garbage on the bottom. Continue with your retrieve.

• 3 weeks later...

I love the phenix rod that i have.  8' heavy, 1-6 oz.  been fishing it for the last three years with no issue.  sweet spot is prob 3-4 oz but handles more.  softer action helps keep lightly hooked fish on.