Spooling your own line vs shop?

Jalseng

Hi guys I'm new and been reading a lot of great info here from exp. Veterans. Just got hooked on swimbaits after my first hudd catch. So the question is do you spool your own line or do you let the shop spool it?

Rod: Dobyns 806 XP

Reel: Calcutta 401

Line: 25lbs Pline Pf Original

Lures: Usually 8 & 68 hudds as a start will venture out soon

Thanks

Here's my .02........Swimbaits put a lot of stress on your line and you should replace it on a regular basis. So as often as you are going to be changing line it's not worth taking it to a shop. For example I have a couple of Calcutta 400's and 253 Diawa. All three hold a lot of line, so changing it all out often would be expensive. What I do is spool each one with about 100 to 150 yards of braid as backing and the top 60 to 80 yards is copoly or mono. Changing line often is not as expensive since you are only replacing 60 to 80 yards. Plus I buy it in bulk spools so it brings the price per yard down even more. Remember when you take it to a shop you are paying for the line, the mark up on the line and the labor, plus your time to take it there. The only time that I will go to a shop for spooling, are for my off shore saltwater reels.

Here's my .02........Swimbaits put a lot of stress on your line and you should replace it on a regular basis. So as often as you are going to be changing line it's not worth taking it to a shop. For example I have a couple of Calcutta 400's and 253 Diawa. All three hold a lot of line, so changing it all out often would be expensive. What I do is spool each one with about 100 to 150 yards of braid as backing and the top 60 to 80 yards is copoly or mono. Changing line often is not as expensive since you are only replacing 60 to 80 yards. Plus I buy it in bulk spools so it brings the price per yard down even more. Remember when you take it to a shop you are paying for the line, the mark up on the line and the labor, plus your time to take it there. The only time that I will go to a shop for spooling, are for my off shore saltwater reels.

Curious why you use braid for backing? Instead of a line with thicker diameter so you use less? Never tried it so I'm wondering the pros and cons

Curious why you use braid for backing? Instead of a line with thicker diameter so you use less? Never tried it so I'm wondering the pros and cons

That's because braided line will last a LONG time if you use it as backing and it has  zero memory. I also back my spools with braided line because I like to respool every week or every other week when I'm fishing hard.

That's because braided line will last a LONG time if you use it as backing and it has  zero memory. I also back my spools with braided line because I like to respool every week or every other week when I'm fishing hard.

This ^^^^^  Also, braid is lighter. With the spool being lighter, I believe it helps to get a little more distance on your cast, not much but every bit helps.

Spool my own line using a chopstick, old shoe box, and some rubber bands. Just stick the chopstick through a hole on inside of the shoe box, place the bulk spool of line, add some rubber bands on each side of the spool to keep it centered and tighten them close to the bulk spool for friction (tension), then stick the other end of the chopstick through the box and start reeling. Been doing it for a few years this way and has worked like a charm