Swimbait spots?

SethB

How many of you guys are targeting spoted bass with swimbaits? What baits do you like for spots? Get any good ones?

I guess same questions for smallies?

i try to throw swimbaits for spots haha, never do all that good, i know they catch big spots and when done right can get incredible quantity of big ones too..... i wouldnt call me the best to get advice from but i have had the best results from ospreys for me the top hook has been decent and the line through's i have fished the 6" ones and had decent sucess but not enough... my best swimbait spot is 3lbs but then again we have no populations in oregon so i dont get many oppurtunities, hopefully i can upgrade next trip to shasta, but im not much of a spot fisherman since the quantity here is none

• 3 years later...

I fish herring lakes for spots a good bit. As far as big baits go, I catch a lot of quality fish on 5-8" hard baits. Bull Shads, Triple Trouts, 7" range glides. Those are the only lakes we have around here that have clear water, so I enjoy just being able to see some followers off in the distance. I also catch a lot of fish burning skinny dippers and small swimbaits like that, but I know that's not what you're talking about.

I have caught a lot of good spots on 7-8" bull shads. The best retrieve I have found is to throw it out and count it down then start with a slow retrieve then burn it for a few feet and pause then repeat. I think they tend to follow and when you speed it up it makes it look like its trying to get away and when you pause it they crush it almost all my bites come on the pause.

I tried 4 times at Berryessa and about 3 hrs or so each time during the winter with no luck. I fished 68 Rof 12 Hudds exclusively. May have just been my skill or the lure i used.