Hudd Grass minnow review

floridaswimb8er

I'm a big fan of Hudd baits. I normally fish the 6" weedless most of the time in some of the more serious weed covered lakes. I also spend some time on some crystal clear spring fed rivers, these are so clear that I can toss a nickel overboard and see it in 20 ft of water. Anyway, some of these areas have extensive weedlines and a dragging a swim bait along them is a great presentation. The problem is finding one that isn't to intrusive to fish. Enter, the Huddleston Grass Minnow.

The Grass Minnow is a nicely detailed bait one would expect from Huddleston. It is available in several baitfish colors, my favorite being Ayu. At 3.75" and 7/16oz the Grass Minnow could be thrown on medium spinning gear but I prefer to throw it on a Powell 733 casting rod with a Curado 201 e7 and 40lb Daiwa Samurai braid.

It features a vortex type tail similar to standard Hudds. The action is not a thumping typical to most paddle tails, instead it is rather subtle. I think really helps because in the clear water I fish, bass get a chance to really look at the bait if they want and I don't think it gives off any negative cues. I pretty much fish this bait with a slow and steady retrieve.

The Grass Minnow is a single hooked bait and it is weedless. It features a collapsable air pocket that keeps debris off the hook yet doesn't get in the way on the hookset. I fished the bait the first day and had 5 bites, I hooked all five fish. Nothing of exceptional size but one fish was over 3lbs. I'm not sure what type of hook comes standard with the bait but if I had to guess I'd say it is a Mustad ultra Point, it is sharp enough.

The bait itself was surprisingly durable, I didn't notice any paint wear, the tail was intact and the area around the line tie didn't get torn up either.

At about 6.99 per bait, this lure is a little costly but it is a great small swimbait. I'd rather throw it than a hollow belly.

I need to figure out how to resize my photos to post a few up here.

How does it compare to the weedless shad? Is there a reason it is $2 more than the shad?

The original open hook shad have ROF ratings of either ROF 3 or 10. The rof 3 is really hard to keep swimming at a steady retrieve because it pops up on the surface. The weedless shad is about 1 1/2oz and 4.25". That translates into heavier equipment if you look at that as an advantage.

I'll send those pic's a bit Speed, thanks.

So as for durability, I've taken 9 fish on the same bait. The paint is a little roached but the tail is intact and it isn't torn up at all. I think I can get a few more out of it easily. I took a few more bass this evening with it and a 2lb bluegill, but I have to worry about it crossing paths with too many of those, the tail will be FUBAR quickly. In all honesty, this is a very good mini swimbait. I haven't missed a strike on it yet. I think the one thing I'd love to see not just on this bait but the Hudd shad, the 6" and the 8" is a slightly more beefy tail. Slightly larger, and slightly more thumpalicious.

In all, a very good bait.

I have 30 or so open hood shad both ROF 3 and 12 and like them. My question is specific to the weedless shad vs grass minnow. The weedless shad is bigger yet it is $2 cheaper. Is there a hook up problem with it or does the grass minnow swim that much better?

Like I said I have a bunch of open how shad but am looking at picking up a bunch of either the grass minnow or weedless shad. The price difference makes has me wondering why.

• 1 month later...
I have a little bit of a tough time getting a hook set with tht and suggestions?

reel steady when you feel them take it. it'll be a bump or resistance, keep reeling steady until the the fish starts moving off or the rod begins to load then STICK em. I throw my shad on a MH 7'6 with a nice soft bend to it and 15 lb big game. When I first started throwing them I was bending the hooks out. the softer rod allows for the fish to take it and me not straighten the hook on the set. Ive had some baits get mangled after two fish and other last longer. But i think the key for positive hook ups is to keep reeling until you feel the fish moving or the rod load up. usually only a couple seconds after the initial hit. hope this helps