Swimbaits in small water

Jetfisherjohn

I live in Indiana. Just transitioning into throwing swimbaits all the time. The waters I fish are mainly ponds. I get the occasional lake trip a few times a year but that's it. I'm posting this up to ask around and get input on what everyone is\would throw if you fish swimbaits in ponds or primarily by bank.

I have a jon boat which allows me to get out on some of them. I'm lucky to have found some good fish in them. With conventional tackle, I've caught many 6+lb fish out of the places I go and even my pb of 6lb12oz on a small zoom paddle tail last year. 2 of the places I fish have had 10lb bass come out of them and I even believe I may have a spot that can host a new state record sized fish due in part to some annual trout stocking and it has been around for 25+ years and is an old strip pit.

My swimbait lineup right now is very small but is also growing. swaver 168 and 200. A 68 special hudd. I have a jsj hitch 6, spro bbz-1 8inch swimbait floater, savage gear line thru trout in the 6" and also the 3D shad in 7", along with 2 tournament talon top hook osprey. I have a phoneyfrog shad glide on the way and 2 burrito baits coming to me soon. Jenko fishing bootyshaker and luck e strike hollow body paddle tails. That's about it for my arsenal.

So my question to you would be.. If you do fish a pond or lakes from the bank.. What swimbaits are you throwing? I know I have big fish where I'm going, I just haven't been able to connect with anything over 3lbs so far. Any input would be appreciated as I'm just starting out in the game and trying to keep and build high confidence!

Thanks su!

I'm typically on the bank as well. Like any other type of fishing, you want to determine the structure you are fishing and use baits that will work best for the given area. More about where you're throwing them than what you're throwing in my opinion.

I fish many small ponds, all the popular swimbaits can work there and some will work better than others but that will be dependent on the forage base in the pond. Obviously matching the hatch will be your best bet to start. When fishing these small ponds, especially from shore, I prefer top water baits as unseen underwater snags will leave you frustrated and cost you some dough as you will lose your bait. If you decide to fish subsurface, weedless is a smart move and one that will save you some heartache. Top water.....pick your favorite wake baits 3:16, ms slammer, Hiroshima Billrilla, different rats etc. Subsurface.....hudd 68 weedless, mission fish, rising son...etc. Other baits that have worked subsurface but can snag include 8" hudd rof 5, mattlures ultimate gills, any ss glide bait. Finally, some baits that give you a little of both, baits that can wake and be cranked under....toxic baits wake n crank and Wade Hoggs, Pizz riot crank, Def-con, Catch em Caro Henrietta J, Nates baits wake/crank...

Your lineup will work, just need to put in the time and you'll get them.

Edited by MrBadExample

Fish all kinds of Swimbaits. Try to match what you are used to using with regular tackle.

Pop's, chug bug, Zara spook = punker, rat, floating baits

Crank baits = slow sink freestyle type baits

Jerk baits = glide baits

Jigs = Hudds and soft baits

Try to match the color and type to the bait fish you have but sometimes go out and use something way different, it may work because they have never seen it before.

Start of with 5-6" baits get used to them and catch some fish then more up to the bigger ones.

Some of the smaller ponds hold some big fish and may get less pressure.

Good luck and post em up.

Like many of these guys, I fish from boat and shore.  Just last year I moved to a new home and have a nice 7-8 acre pond right out my door so naturally I shore pound a lot just to get my fix.  One thing you need to understand equally as your bait selection is to approach your banks with extreme stealth.  Wear darker color clothing to blend in with the brush if  you have growth around the edges.  Those fish that are tight to the shore, can feel and see you walking up on them.  You need to be off the bank at least until you know the first few feet you're working around didn't get the spooks.   I can't tell you how many times I scared off bigger fish sitting in 10-12" of water.

Once you spook them it will take quite some time for them to return.  Your casts should be parallel to the bank first and work your way out changing 10-15 degrees each cast. The "fan" method.  The only time I cast straight out from me is if I'm targeting a vegetation spot or somethign else I know that is directly in front, otherwise I'm always casting at an angle. Try to fish at peak hours and low light. Sun up, sun down...or even at night.  

I fish a lot of bluegill baits because that is what the primary forage is in my pond.  But, I've caught them on rats, trout baits, shad, jerkbaits etc..  If you put something in their face, they will eat it.  Bass are glutenous and will eat easy prey.

The other thing to do is bring out a jig rod or something you can feel the bottom and get a gauge on the structure of the bottom.  Not a lot of ponds have "great" structure, at least not around me.  They usually have big flats on one end or both and somewhere in the middle they'll have deep spots due to a pipe or if it's natural, perhaps a spring.  If you find isolated vegetation, fish over it, on teh sides or through it. Disect that spot because you WILL find fish there.  Maybe not every time but more so than not.  Occasionally I'll pick up 1-3 fish in one clump of vegetation no bigger than a six foot fold out table. 

Good luck and show us the results.  I had ice on my guides Sunday, so my season is just about a wrap. 

Edited by MarkH024