Anyone else out there actually swam for a bait?

Nolan Aker

Maybe I'm cheap, but I will swim after my hudds. I'm not made out of money. I always have a pair of goggles in my backpack. Don't care about the water temp I've had to swim for one of my real preys 6 times in one month.

It sucks I get it back and right before I leave get it hung up again. If I had a boat I would be a lot braver with my baits because I could up to them and unhook them but I'm shore bound till then.

Had my favorite bait tangle on some brush and could not get it with lure knocker, lucky it was only 10-12 ft deep, anchored the boat, strip down to my boxers and use the line to find my bait, water temp was 56 degrees, don't know if I would do it again. Got my bait back and still produces. Another time shore fishing got my bait snag on a piece of wood about 25-30 yards out bait was just below the surface, went home grab a life jacket, swam and got my bait back. Oh that was at night,kind of creepy swimming at night at the Dirty D

Edited by R8R

I swam for my roman made. I've swam for my gillroid. I've swam for Jack Hillman's gantarell. I swam for my Islide. If you fish a bait long enough chances are you're going to snag it. And I can't afford replacement baits.

Well, since you people have told your stories, here's mine. I had just ordered my first real swimbaits and was fishing from the bank on table rock in Missouri. Me being the genius I was, I casted parallel to the sign that said "fish attractor" which meant the had sunk a cedar tree in that area. Sure enough my newly acquired Go'Em Coach Gill found a branch, and almost immediately undressed and started wading in. My grandpa was telling me to not go any farther, but I'm 15 and a bait like that is an investment. I got it back and all was well. I'm sure this isn't the last time I'll swim, but I'm hoping not.

had my pats get stuck in about 6-7 feet of water the other week, water was about 45-49 i got 15 feet into the water and couldn't breathe it was so cold. walked around the cove it was stuck in about 5 times trying to get it loose to no avail. Pulled the line straight cause i knew i wasn't getting it back. not going to lie my eyes started to water..... snapped off and while i was putting my clothes back on the thing finally floated up but it wasn't till 2-3 minutes later that it floated up since i was watching the area. casted another bait out and got her back. the fishing gods were smiling at me that day

Ive swam for my wooden shellcracker a few times at night after snagging some tullies i didnt see. Another time i casted off a bullshooter 160 without a lip weight. I think the line wrapped the tip. Anyways got the shellcracker back never found the bullshooter. The coolest was wading out after a gantrel in January in the rain.