Anyone else out there actually swam for a bait?

Nolan Aker

About an hour before sundown I "zing popped" a morning wood on 65# braid after a backlash...bait went rediculiously far -much farther than I could of ever casted! It had rained the night before and there was a lot of debris and wood chunks floating...making it dificult to determine exactly where my bait was. Wind was blowing and all kinds of junk getting pushed out to main lake...

After looking frantically as the debris was drifting out- I spotted it! It was way the hell out there and getting farther away quick...I even wondered if it was too far to swim there and back.

Trying to quickly undress and not take my eyes off it I hung my clothes on the only bush around the rocky bank-knowing I had to meet my wife for dinner in about an hour I made the decision to go in naked ...I didn't want to show up to dinner with wet underwire outline. I hadn't seen anyone in the park and it was during the week so no worries- the area is clearly secluded enough to so I plunged in!

I kept my eye on the bait as I doggie paddled what felt like about a 100yards...as I got about 5 feet from the bait I saw it was nothing but a freaking stick! I panicked since I was running out of energy and couldn't afford to swim in circles like a lab looking for a duck...there was floating wood everywhere! I gave up after 4 circles... Exhausted I headed back and as I turned to my lefty I saw it-snatched it quickly and headed to shore as fast as I could! I'm too skinny to float and couldn't rest...

As I got about 20 feet from the shore I looked up and to my horror there was a young couple setting up a tent to camp the night! They turned around and looked totally shocked at was going on...a tattooed naked guy covering his junk with one hand and carrying a rat in the other. I quickly shuffled to my clothes and turned around and got dressed. I was so embarrassed and didn't want to even turn around...when I did they asked in a concerned voice "can we get you some help?"

I said "nope! - glad I got my rat back" ...They just looked at me and didn't say anything- to this day I think they thought it was a real rat.

I always bring a change of clothes now...

Not every single lake in South Florida is infested with alligators, contrary to what some people believe. I am still here and I have done free diving(mostly 20-40 foot dives, but have done +50 feet in some lakes) in several South Florida lakes.Its extremely gloomy when you are in the bottom of a South Florida lake,it's mostly a mucky bottom with little to no aquatic vegetation growing. Definitely not a sport for those afraid of the water,but a good way to find lures people lose(which is a lot) and get some good exercise.

I think I was very specific with the lakes in my area Mike but there are other Central Florida lakes that are more suitable for disposing bodies thanks to the alligators than fetching lost swimbaits.When you work and have a fat wallet you don't take those kinds of risks.My kids need me more than that.

About an hour before sundown I "zing popped" a morning wood on 65# braid after a backlash...bait went rediculiously far -much farther than I could of ever casted! It had rained the night before and there was a lot of debris and wood chunks floating...making it dificult to determine exactly where my bait was. Wind was blowing and all kinds of junk getting pushed out to main lake...

After looking frantically as the debris was drifting out- I spotted it! It was way the hell out there and getting farther away quick...I even wondered if it was too far to swim there and back.

Trying to quickly undress and not take my eyes off it I hung my clothes on the only bush around the rocky bank-knowing I had to meet my wife for dinner in about an hour I made the decision to go in naked ...I didn't want to show up to dinner with wet underwire outline. I hadn't seen anyone in the park and it was during the week so no worries- the area is clearly secluded enough to so I plunged in!

I kept my eye on the bait as I doggie paddled what felt like about a 100yards...as I got about 5 feet from the bait I saw it was nothing but a freaking stick! I panicked since I was running out of energy and couldn't afford to swim in circles like a lab looking for a duck...there was floating wood everywhere! I gave up after 4 circles... Exhausted I headed back and as I turned to my lefty I saw it-snatched it quickly and headed to shore as fast as I could! I'm too skinny to float and couldn't rest...

As I got about 20 feet from the shore I looked up and to my horror there was a young couple setting up a tent to camp the night! They turned around and looked totally shocked at was going on...a tattooed naked guy covering his junk with one hand and carrying a rat in the other. I quickly shuffled to my clothes and turned around and got dressed. I was so embarrassed and didn't want to even turn around...when I did they asked in a concerned voice "can we get you some help?"

I said "nope! - glad I got my rat back" ...They just looked at me and didn't say anything- to this day I think they thought it was a real rat.

I always bring a change of clothes now...

Your story beats everybody else, that is pretty funny and embarrassing, but all in all good stuff.lol

• 2 months later...

Well crap, I went fishing yesterday and was throwing my favorite old faithful OG Deps 250 that has been good to me lately when I went to cast and my line snapped...My heart stopped beating when I heard that familiar sound...This bait is the bait I let Matt use when he visited from California to catch his fish...This is the bait that my girlfriend just recently caught her first ever swimbait fish on...This is the first Deps that I have actually ever had confidence in throwing...What sucks is about 30 minutes prior to throwing it off I had a giant I watched t-bone it about 15 feet from the boat...This bait has been my go to lately...It sank in about 10ft of water, water was 58° at the surface, and the water clarity was poor...It was super windy and about 65° outside...I shed my clothes and swam for about 20 minutes swimming by running my hands along the rocky bottom...That was scary in itself and the deeper I dove the colder it got...Man it made my head hurt...I found a stand-up jig head that stuck me in the finger and a drop shot set-up...But unfortunately I did not find my Deps...I think the color of the Deps is the Butch Brown Natural Trout if someone can confirm that...

Anyways, I know where the bait is so I'm going to go back and drag a cast net at the suggestion of Matt and see if I can get it...I'm just concerned as it fell it drifted with the wind...Man I hope I get this bait back...So far I have lost an OG Flash Carp and a 3:16 Glide Shad 😢

post-23017-0-58345300-1488646821_thumb.jpeg

post-23017-0-32466100-1488646869_thumb.jpeg

post-23017-0-15601200-1488646961_thumb.jpeg

Girlfriends first ever swimbait fish caught (3) weeks ago:

post-23017-0-19746500-1488647055_thumb.jpeg

Not real happy at this point:

post-23017-0-91437800-1488647457_thumb.jpeg

Edited by YELOSUB

I've swam for a bunch of baits and even got naked and swam 20ish yards for an OG 250 on a winter night, used my boxers to dry off with then went commando the rest of the night. ya gotta do what ya gotta do sometimes

In Australia majority of our fishing involves structure and there's plenty of it. When I'm not fishing dams I'll be pushing up rivers to hard to reach honey holes and 9 times out of 10 the banks are littered with massive trees that eventually will be swept into the river from yearly floods. I've swam for most of my lures even little 2.5inch paddle tails, it's just an regularly occurring thing in our realm ask anyone that fishes for bass in Australia,